Re: [Buddhaviharas] Digest Number 482

  • Arthur J
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2004
      Phil,

      I think you have become attached to Abhidhamma. My
      thought is that perhaps you might try
      living/experiencing the dharma only and stop talking
      about it for a while. We can all use getting out of
      our thinking from time to time.

      With lovingkindness,
      Arthur

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
        Hi Arthur, and all

        Yes, there is attachment there, but personally I believe that if
        we stay open to the Buddha's teaching in the company of people with
        right understanding, this attachment will lead us to right
        understanding. You might share the common misconception that
        Abhidhamma is all intellectual, all memorizing of complex
        terminology. Not so. It's about understanding the present moment,
        understanding annata, with as much insight as one has in the moment.
        Let go of the Pali terminology and it's almost Zen. And it is helping
        to give me a much deeper of Metta. Metta is not something I generate -
        it is something that arises with right understanding. That's very
        encouraging. It's out there!
        However, as Abhidhamma is only on of the three baskets, I will
        continue to studying the rest of the Pali Canon to avoiding focussing
        too much on one aspect.
        In any case, I appreciate your warning, but perhaps we could leave
        it at that to avoid getting into a debate. (There are other groups
        for that!:)

        Metta,
        Phil