Re: Equanimity

  • wildchildgarry@aol.com
    Message 1 of 121 , May 31, 2004
         Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 00:27:56 -0000
         From: "Philip" <plnao@...>
      Subject: Re: Equanimity

        How do we know if it's an attachment has been formed? I guess if
      it's taken away, or we can't have it, there is dissatisfaction. I
      always remember Pema Chodron talking about chocolate cake. Nothing
      wrong with chocolate cake, as long as we're still content when we
      can't have it.
        The friends I discuss things with at my Abhidhamma group have very
      strict definitions of attachment. It extends to Dhamma study, of
      course. Could you start your day without a bit of Dhamma from a
      favourite book, or discussion at a favourite group without feeling
      dissatisfied. I know I couldn't at this point. I argue that
      attachment to Dhamma is OK, because it leads us deeper into Dhamma,
      and to understanding that eventually linerates us from the
      attachment.

        Metta,
        Phil

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon" <sharonwerner@c...>
      wrote:
      > "It is not our preferences that cause problems but our attachments
      > them."
      >
      > ~ Jack Kornfield, "Buddha's Little Instruction Book," Bantam Books,
      > 1994
      >

      > May this be of benefit.

      Message: 2
         Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 00:54:11 -0000
         From: "Sharon" <sharonwerner@...>

      Philip,

      I'm fairly certain I've read (from various teachers) that desire for
      liberation is considered a "wholesome desire."  (If I can find a
      direct quotation, I'll send it in.)  I know I count on the dharma
      every single day - meditation, study, and, of course, discussion with
      fine groups such as this!

      Dear Philip, Sharon and other friend,

      I know that I am a novice, a true beginner, on this road of lifetime discovery and hopeful enlightenment, so if I appear off the mark, please forgive these thoughts as earnest attempts to see the truth.

      I do understand that it is important to seek and experience that which is good and spiritually satisfying in life. I do wish to point out the being dependent on Dhamma study or any other wise teaching is still attachment. Are we to be so inflexible that we are lost without any particular teaching or knowledge at the time we choose to access it? If I insist on what I believe that I need, I may be denying maybe of what I truly need. Isn't  this the essense of true openness? I do count on my readings and meditations to help focus and center me, but I replace one attachment with another, I am doing myself a true disservice. I do respect and revere the great teachings, but I am meant to be no more dependent on them than I am meant to be dependent on the illusions I used to seek security before I stepped foot on this path.

      Let us all benefit from all the great teachings set before us, but not be so dependent as to replace that knowledge for our own enlightened judgment and lessons.

      May all that touches our lives be of benefit,
      Garry
      Message 121 of 121 , Feb 21, 2011
        "How can we develop [an attitude of equanimity]?
        Well, one thing we can do is to check our mind, to question why we respond the way we do.
        Why do we feel hurt and angry when someone says bad things about us?
        Why are we so concerned about what other people think and say about us?
        Does the opinion of others make us what we are?
        If other people dislike and criticize us, does that necessarily mean we are bad?
        Alternatively, if others like and respect us, does that necessarily mean we are good?

        "Giving too much credence to what others say about us can cause us to
        be emotionally unstable and to have an unrealistic view of ourselves."

        ~ The Eight Verses of Thought Transformation
        An explanation by Ven Sangye Khadro

        Thanks Sharon for posting this in 2005.