Re: Compassion

    Message 1 of 134 , May 15, 2004
      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <plnao@j...> wrote:

      > For me, karuna (compassion) is the energy that stops us from
      over-
      > reacting to worldly concerns in a way that just creates more anger
      > and other bad energy in the world. Karuna stops the anger in its
      > tracks and returns us to equanimity (if the anger is strong, I
      think
      > we need to go there first) or loving-kindness. So karuna stopped me
      > from bellowing back at the guy yesterday, and I soon felt a
      friendly
      > feeling towards him. I see him a lot. I what will happen the next
      > time I pass him? Maybe he'll jump off his bicycle and beat me up. :)

      Hi Phil,

      Great story! It's interesting that you mention that most people in
      Japan don't yell at others very often. I grew up in a family where
      yelling and name-calling were all too common. One of the challenges
      in practicing lovingkindness and compassion for me have been
      overcoming that strong habit-energy to move from anger to immediate
      and loud verbal retaliation! ;o) It's been a real pleasure and joy
      to realize that acting on anger in that way is a *choice*, not a
      *given*, and learning to respond to frustrating situations in a more
      peaceful way has given me a sense of spaciousness and freedom I
      hadn't had before. (And, I'm sure, made everyone around me a lot
      happier.) I don't think I ever really realized this "choice" aspect
      of dealing with emotions before I began to study the dharma.

      Isn't the dharma a wonderful tool?

      Message 134 of 134 , Jul 24, 2008
        "The Dalai Lama was once asked
        "who is your role model?"
        He replied immediately,
        "The Weeper. The Weeper is a man in Tibet who is so moved by even the
        smallest or slightest suffering, that he weeps whenever he sees
        suffering."
        <snip>
        Shedding tears of compassion is one of the dimensions of being human.
        Our feelings are not just about our "personal stuff".
        They're part of the gift of our emotional intelligence,
        part of the gift of our larger selves.
        This is not to say we should indulge or wallow in our pain for the
        world.
        Nor is it good to wallow in too many TV/media images of suffering.
        Stay fairly well-informed,
        but stay open to the immediacy of life around you,
        and allow compassion to arise from that."
        http://www.flinders.edu.au/oasis/religiousgroups/buddhist/docs/Bobbi's%202nd%20Talk.doc