Fear and Compassion

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2004
      " . . . fear's intentionality is to protect you. It has you in its
      heart. It's love turned askew. Now, when you're afraid, you can
      start appreciating the fact that fear arises instead of spiritually
      being shocked by it . . . When you feel a fear, if you can see in
      that moment of it, that you are in it's heart; the heart of fear has
      you in it; and that it's really self-love. Then you won't be so harsh
      in your reprimand [towards yourself] for having that fear. And it
      leads to a quieter, more gentle understanding. It's not that we
      allow it to do its torturous thing on us, but we don't hold it with
      such contempt."

      ~ Rodney Smith, Seattle Insight Meditation Society, excerpted from a
      course lecture, "The Six Fears: The Origin of Fear"

      The lecture can be heard in its entirety at:
      http://www.seattleinsight.org/talk.aspx?ID=88