Metta in daily life

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15, 2004
      "Actions of metta are actions such as lending help materially or
      spiritually, giving medical and nursing attention to the elderly or
      kindness for animals, courtesy, hospitality, etc. Therefore metta in
      daily life is more active and expressive in nature. In families and
      offices where there is frequent metta shown, it becomes a house or
      dwelling that is truly happy.

      "One thing to bear in mind is that according to the situation the
      other brahma vihara may play a part. This is compassion when there
      are people suffering and sympathetic joy for those doing very well.
      And when the things are beyond our control, we have to reflect on
      kamma to be equanimous. These three are complementary to bring about
      a more stable and appropriate relationship. Even to the same person,
      it may be appropriate to use one or another at a different time.

      "As for what will be suitable for the best outcome, we would have to
      exercise wisdom. So another important part is to exercise metta with
      wisdom. Otherwise, we may produce results opposite to our
      expectations. As the saying goes, 'The way to hell is paved with good
      intentions.' A good example is a lot of Dr Quacks giving strange
      herbal remedies for strange and undiagnosed diseases. They may kill
      or cure! Metta without wisdom may also land us with countless
      problems, i.e. people trying to take advantage of us.
      So we may take note as to:

      (i) when to and when not to use metta.
      (ii) If we use it, how much and in what way."

      ~ Ven. Sujiva, "Metta Bhavana," Part III, excerpted from article at
      www.buddhanet.com
      http://www.buddhanet.net/metta_b.htm

      May this be of benefit.
    • Philip
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 15, 2004
        Hello all.

        I appreciate the encouragement to practice metta with wisdom. I
        was feeling kind of in a funk to have realized that the way I was
        practicing brahma-viharas was just kind of polishing the surface of
        life to make it seem more pleasant and enjoyable instead of getting
        at the root of hindrances. Now I have to be careful not to go too far
        on the wisdom of seeing into realities in a way that deprives me of
        the encouraging power of faith. There's a great sutta about the need
        to balance wisdom with faith. How wisdom without faith is cold and
        inhuman, but faith without wisdom is just foolishness or words to
        that effect...

        Metta,
        Phil