Re: [Buddhaviharas] Re: compassion, love and our human potential

  • marissa weiler
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
      Dear Phil,
      This is awesome! The group sounds terrific and I
      almost joined an Abhidhamma group about a year ago but
      there was a complication. Well, one day. I'm trying to
      think of a Tibetan Buddhist group in Japan (I have to
      remember where in Japan) that is supposed to be
      amazing - just to pass alone. The teacher is a student
      of Namgyal Rinpoche who passed away in October - Karma
      Kagyu/Vajrayana Buddhism. I'll check and send just for
      your info. Good luck with the Abhidhamma! By the way,
      have you seen "Lost In Translation"? I finally did two
      weeks ago on video and it has a good message. Oh,
      Phil, I went to the pool! It was a refreshing,
      relaxing experience. I asked 3 older gentlemen if
      their name was Joe or if they have heard of him and I
      explained he is a regular. These guys haven't been
      attending the pool for too long so I will keep looking
      because I will definitely go again. I am feeling rough
      as hell (does depression ever get better - it has got
      worse) and the water while swimming and just gliding
      can be soothing. Peace and much metta, Marissa. ---
      Philip <plnao@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------

      This passage was good timing for me, Sharon. Lately
      I've been
      getting deep into Abhidhamma with a very insightful
      group.
      Abhidhamma, which stresses being aware of ultimate
      realities rising
      and falling here and now, doesn't allow for conceptual
      work, and as
      a result I've seen my brahma-viharas practice in a
      critical light.
      There's no way I'm going to give it up, but I do have
      to be aware
      that imposing comforting concepts on daily situations
      could
      conceivably represent a strategy for dodging
      realities.
      For example, I've learned how to identify certain
      sources of
      aversion, and include them in my brahma-viharas
      meditation in the
      morning, and then, when I come across them that day,
      compassion and
      friendliness arise immeditately rather than aversion,
      because I've
      kind of programmed my mind to do so. Abhidhamma
      practice, on the
      other hand, would never do that, because we seek to be
      aware of all
      the realities that are rising, no matter how
      unpleasant.
      Do you know what I mean? It's true that in a sense
      it could seem
      that we who practice brahma-viharas are attempting to
      paint the world
      in pretty colours.
      But the passage below reminds us that we're actually
      doing
      something in line with the natural potential people
      have to become
      more loving. There is a process at work in the world
      that we are
      deepening our awareness of - we're not trying to
      impose something
      that's not there.
      That's not very clear - I've got a head cold.
      In any case, I will not give up my brahma-viharas
      practice, even if
      I see that it could in some way be obstructing my
      personal
      liberation. Working for others' is what's the most
      important, and
      that's what brahma-viharas help us do.

      Metta,
      Phil
      p.s In Abhidhamma, metta is a wholesome mental
      formation that
      arises as a result of eliminating unwholesome ones. So
      clearing out
      hindrances to metta is what it's about - not
      consciously intending
      metta. I think in the past Sharon has posted passages
      about
      hindrances to metta. I can see that it is important.

      Here is a book about Metta written by a teacher in
      the Abhidhamma
      tradition
      http://www.dhammastudyandsupport.com/book/Metta-
      Loving_Kindness_In_Buddhism/Metta-Loving_Kindness_In_Buddhism.htm

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon"
      <shar_63@h...> wrote:
      > ". . . it's actually very primary to the view of
      this practice [of
      > Bodhicitta] or the view of Buddhism altogether that
      the possibility
      > of human birth is enormous. And when we say, 'May I
      have happiness'
      > or 'May I be free of suffering' or 'May any
      individual have
      happiness
      > and be free of suffering,' actually we are saying
      something that is
      > in accord with our potential and their potential.
      >
      > "We're actually saying something that is in accord
      with the
      potential
      > of a human being to expand our capacity for opening
      and caring
      > limitlessly. It starts out with our love for an
      individual or our
      > compassion for an individual. And it can expand to
      include more and
      > more individuals, until finally there is a stage
      that people have
      > reached throughout history, generations and
      generations of people,
      > have reached the full capacity of connecting with
      love and
      compassion
      > which is limitless. Which is to say, it almost
      doesn't even have a
      > reference point. It's just connecting with this
      free-flowing warmth-
      > connected energy, flee-flowing, dynamic, alive,
      connected energy.
      > It's connecting with the true state of affairs."
      >
      > ~ Pema Chodron, "Bodhicitta & Aspiration," City
      Retreat, Berkeley
      > Shambhala Center June, 18, 2001
      >
      > http://www.shambhala.org/teachers/pema/asp.htm
      >

      > May this be of benefit.

      Terms of Service.

    • Philip
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
        Hi Sharon

        Thanks for the encouragement. It has been difficult to try to
        reconcile the two approaches - but you remind me that there's no need
        to try to do so. Wisdom wing and compassion wing. And of course, the
        two practices can support each other. The abhidhamma helps me get to
        a deeper understanding of not-self, so that should make it easier for
        metta and karuna to flow, because the barriers of self and
        personality are weakened/removed.
        Instead of fretting about it, I should just be grateful to have my
        practice broadened.
        It is a wonderful group. (Yahoo, "Dhammastudy Group".) THe author
        of the books I'm reading (Nina van Gorkom) participates in the group
        and I'm fortunate enough to be able to get feedback from her
        directly.

        Metta,
        Phil

      • Philip
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 11, 2004
          HI Marissa!

          Yeah, it's a good group, for sure. But it's not in Japan. It's
          another Yahoo group. I still haven't found a sangha here in Japan,
          but I'm not looking. Seems to me it will come my way if and hwen the
          time is right.
          No, I haven't seen Lost in Translation, but I'd like to. The main
          characters sound interesting. I kind of regret that the film trots
          out some old stereotypes about Japanese people for laughs, but the
          fact is Tokyo can be weird in a very interesting way. Tokyo is its
          own country, the way New York is.

          Thanks for checking out Templeton, and asking about Joe. Sorry to
          hear things are still rough for you. I have faith that if you coninue
          brahma-viharas meditation in a dedicated way it will help to brighten
          your skies - but I don't know anything about the physiological side
          of depression - the brain chemistry.

          Metta,
          Phil

          --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, marissa weiler

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 12, 2004
            Marissa,

            My husband and I just rented "Lost in Translation" too! :o) What
            struck you the most about it? I was curious, as I watched it, what
            Phil would think of the portrayal of Japan.

            <marissa_weiler@y...> wrote:
> [...]
            > and caring
            > > limitlessly. It starts out with our love for an
            > individual or our
            > > compassion for an individual. And it can expand to
            > include more and
            > > more individuals, until finally there is a stage
            > that people have
            > > reached throughout history, generations and
            > generations of people,
            > > have reached the full capacity of connecting with
            > love and
            > compassion
            > > which is limitless. Which is to say, it almost
            > doesn't even have a
            > > reference point. It's just connecting with this
            > free-flowing warmth-
            > > connected energy, flee-flowing, dynamic, alive,
            > connected energy.
            > > It's connecting with the true state of affairs."
            > >
            > > ~ Pema Chodron, "Bodhicitta & Aspiration," City

          • marissa weiler
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
              Dear Sharon,
              I was really drawn to the fact that Bill Murray and
              the woman he becomes close friends with are in very
              lost transitional times in their lives. Both don't
              feel needed (or wanted?) by their partners and seem to
              be "searching for meaning" and they are very lonely.
              How they healthfully "came together" and supported
              each other and really connected and meant an enormous
              amount to each other moved me in an extraordinary way.
              I think this "lost place in life" is somewhere most of
              us have been. They wanted to "be wanted", they wanted
              to "find human connection" and they did, and I thought
              it was great they didn't sexualize that role - as I
              assumed at first they would. These were two good
              people trying to navigate their journey and they were
              both somewhat lost - trying to find their place in
              life, trying to connect, trying to get more
              comfortable (the female character inparticular). Is
              that how you see it at all? I really enjoyed it! I was
              a little Sorry about Bill Murray's one night stand
              because I thought his care for his family shone
              through wonderfully although it seemed he didn't feel
              needed there - his wife could take care of everything.
              Murray, in particular seemed to be coming to terms
              with being restless. He was reconciling where his life
              was at but was at heart, I think, happy with what he
              had. The female character I loved and I could so
              relate to her sense of insecurity at times with her
              husband, who was so much more at home in his own skin
              and so much more outgoing and sadly away from her a
              lot - maybe a tad insensitive. They both were reaching
              out and needing to feel love and feel connection. I
              thought maybe the hustle bustle of Tokyo and a
              metaphor for how "out of control" their lives felt?
              Hmmm, maybe - just thinking out loud. As for
              stereotypes, I don't know much about Tokyo culture -
              did you think there were a lot of stereotypes? For
              future choices, "Diva" was recommended to me (made in
              the early 80's) and it's quite a film - give it a try!
              Have you seen "Pay It Forward"? I loved that film. In
              terms of films currently in theatres I want to see The
              Barbarian Invasions (made by Quebec/Canadian filmmaker
              Denys Arcand) and it is supposed to be fabulous. The
              other film I want to see is "The Dreamers about the
              famous year in Paris - 1968. We have a film currently
              playing here, made here, written by local people
              called "The Corporation" and it's fabulous - it
              compares the corporation to the DSM-IV definition of a
              psychopath - corps have no conscience. It's a really
              interesting premise. Let me know (anyone!) if you've
              seen a great video lately! Hugs and much metta,
              ---------------------------------

              <marissa_weiler@y...> wrote:
> [...]

              > and caring
              > > limitlessly. It starts out with our love for an
              > individual or our
              > > compassion for an individual. And it can expand to
              > include more and
              > > more individuals, until finally there is a stage
              > that people have
              > > reached throughout history, generations and
              > generations of people,
              > > have reached the full capacity of connecting with
              > love and
              > compassion
              > > which is limitless. Which is to say, it almost
              > doesn't even have a
              > > reference point. It's just connecting with this
              > free-flowing warmth-
              > > connected energy, flee-flowing, dynamic, alive,
              > connected energy.
              > > It's connecting with the true state of affairs."
              > >
              > > ~ Pema Chodron, "Bodhicitta & Aspiration," City

              Yahoo!
              > Terms of Service.

              Terms of Service.

            • Philip
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
                Hi Marissa, and all.

                You make me want to see Lost in Translation, Marissa. I'll have to
                wait another few months until it comes here. And probably longer,
                because I'll wait to see it on video. I'd be uncomfortable in a
                theatre with Japanese people watching the scenes where they are used
                too crudely in stereotypical ways to stress the alienation aspect.

                One of my favourite movies with a Buddhist feel to it is Magnolia.
                It's all about khamma. "You might think you're done with the past,
                but the past isn't done with you." It seems to be one of those love
                it or hate it movies, but I sure loved it. The songs by Aimee Mann
                are fantastic too.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
                  Phil,

                  When you do see the movie, please tell us which aspects are
                  exaggerated and stereotypical so that those of us who have never been
                  to Japan can challenge any wrong ideas we may have picked up in
                  watching it.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
                    Marissa,

                    I think you hit the nail on the head about the movie. It was nice,
                    too, to watch a movie that isn't all about pacing, effects, fast
                    laughs, etc., but moved along more at the normal "pace of life," if
                    that makes sense. It's a very thoughtful movie.

                    <marissa_weiler@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > and caring
                    > > > limitlessly. It starts out with our love for an
                    > > individual or our
                    > > > compassion for an individual. And it can expand to
                    > > include more and
                    > > > more individuals, until finally there is a stage
                    > > that people have
                    > > > reached throughout history, generations and
                    > > generations of people,
                    > > > have reached the full capacity of connecting with
                    > > love and
                    > > compassion
                    > > > which is limitless. Which is to say, it almost
                    > > doesn't even have a
                    > > > reference point. It's just connecting with this
                    > > free-flowing warmth-
                    > > > connected energy, flee-flowing, dynamic, alive,
                    > > connected energy.
                    > > > It's connecting with the true state of affairs."
                    > > >
                    > > > ~ Pema Chodron, "Bodhicitta & Aspiration," City

                  • marissa weiler
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
                      Dear Sharon,
                      I agree entirely about not worrying about the pacing,
                      effects and fast meaningless laughs as happens in so
                      many movies. Actually it also made me want to go to
                      Tokyo! Ahhh, another great recommendation -please see
                      it if you can! "Guaranteed Enlightenment"! Peace and
                      enjoy, Marissa. --- Sharon <shar_63@...>
                      ---------------------------------

                      <marissa_weiler@y...> wrote:
> [...]

                      > for
                      > > your info. Good luck with the Abhidhamma! By the
                      > way,
                      > > have you seen "Lost In Translation"? I finally did
                      > two
                      > > weeks ago on video and it has a good message. Oh,
                      > > Phil, I went to the pool! It was a refreshing,
                      > > relaxing experience. I asked 3 older gentlemen if
                      > > their name was Joe or if they have heard of him
                      and
                      > > explained he is a regular. These guys haven't been
                      > > attending the pool for too long so I will keep
                      > looking
                      > > because I will definitely go again. I am feeling
                      > rough
                      > > as hell (does depression ever get better - it has
                      > got
                      > > worse) and the water while swimming and just
                      gliding
                      > > can be soothing. Peace and much metta, Marissa.
                      ---
> [...]
                      > > and caring
                      > > > limitlessly. It starts out with our love for an
                      > > individual or our
                      > > > compassion for an individual. And it can expand
                      > > include more and
                      > > > more individuals, until finally there is a stage
                      > > that people have
                      > > > reached throughout history, generations and
                      > > generations of people,
                      > > > have reached the full capacity of connecting
                      with
                      > > love and
                      > > compassion
                      > > > which is limitless. Which is to say, it almost
                      > > doesn't even have a
                      > > > reference point. It's just connecting with this
                      > > free-flowing warmth-
                      > > > connected energy, flee-flowing, dynamic, alive,
                      > > connected energy.
                      > > > It's connecting with the true state of affairs."
                      > > >
                      > > > ~ Pema Chodron, "Bodhicitta & Aspiration," City

                      Yahoo!
                      > Terms of Service.

                      Terms of Service.