Re: Love and Compassion

  • karang_terjal
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1 3:20 AM
      LOVE....What is Love?
      Yes, Donna . I am agree that Love should come from our own heart, it
      is the rightful province of each human heart.

      I would like to invite my friend to join this group but Unfortunately
      I lost her for years. I just remembered her statement and wrote it
      here ;-(

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, mettamelb <mettamelb@y...>

    • mettamelb
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1 5:02 AM
        Yes, my friend, yes! I am in total agreeance (is that
        a word?, maybe it's agreement! :o) :o) It is the
        province of each human heart!!! --- karang_terjal
        ---------------------------------

        wrote:
> [...]
        > > But it is glad to know about Love and Compassion
        in
        > Buddhism.
        > > I want to know the teaching from East, and the
        > website link that
        > you
        > > provided to me is really useful to me. I already
        > explored it.
        > Thanks
        > > for welcome me to this group.
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Karang
        > >
        > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda"
        > <brendaie@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > > Donna,
        > > > Thanks a lot for the web info, this is also
        > helpful for me :)
        > > >
        > > > Hi Karang,
        > > > welcome to the group, i'm also new here and am
        > glad to find this
        > > > insightful group. You'll enjoy it as much as I

        Yahoo!
        > Terms of Service.
        >

        > =====
        >
        > Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammasambuddhassa
        >

        > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
        Movies.
        > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

        Terms of Service.

        =====

        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 14, 2007
          "The definition of love in Buddhism is: wanting others to be happy.
          The opposite is wanting others to be unhappy: anger, hatred.

          The definition of compassion is: wanting others to be free from
          suffering.
          The opposite is wanting others to suffer, or cruelty.

          'Compassion and love are not mere luxuries.
          As the source both of inner and external peace,
          they are fundamental to the continued survival of our species.'
          His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama
          http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/immeasurables_love_compassion_equanimi
          ty_rejoicing.html

            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 24, 2008
              "The definition of love in Buddhism is: wanting others to be happy.
              The opposite is wanting others to be unhappy: anger, hatred.
              The definition of compassion is: wanting others to be free from
              suffering.
              The opposite is wanting others to suffer, or cruelty.
              The definition of sympathetic joy is: being happy with someone's
              fortune/happiness.
              The opposite is jealousy, when one cannot accept the happiness of others."
              http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/immeasurables_love_compassion_equanimity_rejoicing.html

                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 23, 2012
                  "The Pali commentaries explain:
                  One loves all beings <snip> by projecting the thought,
                  "May all beings be happy and not unhappy."
                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html#ch5
                  From: Chapter 5: The Psychology of Metta
                  Metta: The Philosophy and Practice of Universal Love
                  by Acharya Buddharakkhita
                  For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

                  Antony: I've started researching the topic of unhappiness. I used to think of freedom from suffering as reversion to a neutral state, whereas freedom from the unhappiness of dukkha is a challenge, a problem to be solved in order to realize deathless happiness: a much more inspiring compassion!

                  Please visit my Yahoo Group:

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 26, 2012
                    "You're looking in terms of what //I want//, what //I want// to get, what I don't want, as opposed to well what's actually causing suffering right now, what's not causing suffering right now. So based on this ignorance of you're not looking at things in terms of the Four Noble Truths you start fabricating things..."
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Goal-setting/message/141
                    http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/ThanissaroBhikkhu.html
                    From: Dependent Co-Arising: Reading 3 Description and Analysis (4 of 10)
                    By Thanissaro Bhikkhu

                    Antony: For this thread the phrase becomes "what's actually causing unhappiness right now?"

                    With metta / Antony.

                    PS Only one person's joined my dukkha group :( ;o)