Re: [Buddhaviharas] Re: Love and Compassion

  • mettamelb
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29 7:21 PM
      Hi Karang and Philip,
      That's a good idea of yours Philip about Karang's
      friend. Karang, yes, why don't you get your friend to
      join the group too? It might be really helpful and
      welcome. It's very nice to be reminded, particularly
      so for your friend when going through tough times,
      that there are lots of good things to focus on.
      There's some nice people in this group! :o)
      With Metta,
      Donna.

      --- Philip <plnao@...> wrote:
      ---------------------------------

      Hello everyone.
      Welcome to the group, Karang. I feel it was good
      karma for me to
      find this group too. Come to think of it, it was
      almost a little
      mysterious. I looked through Yahoo Groups for
      something about the
      Brahma-Viharas on the very day Sharon launched the
      group! I always
      feel so grateful for this group.
      Yes indeed, many people go into relationships with
      needs and
      attachements so strong that the realtionship is not
      founded on
      anything universal. And we do think that we need to
      get love before
      we give love, but of course cultivating metta teaches
      us otherwise.
      Please invite your friend to join the group too! :)

      Metta,
      Philip

      --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "karang_terjal"
      <karang_terjal@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Donna, Sharon, Brenda and Arthur,
      >
      > It is a good karma for me to know this group. Thanks
      to explain
      > about "Love and compassion" to me in Buddhism
      teaching.

      > Love is universal. Everybody knows that word. I
      always hear
      somebody
      > say "LOVE" to their lover, their parent, friends,
      etc.
      > I also heard somebody say:
      > Love in my religion is the True Love, no other LOVE
      will save you
      > except "the Love from my religion".
      > And then, love is become an exclusive Love, and it
      is not universal
      > anymore.
      >
      > At the end, I question myself:
      > What is Love?
      > If somebody said "I love you" to his partner, and
      then after they
      > stay over years, one day, he come to his lover and
      said "I lost it".
      > One of my friends came to me and said "I never feel
      LOVE from my
      > family, my friends and this world, I feel nothing. I
      am wondering:
      > How can I give something that I never get it for
      whole my life?"
      > So, what is the meaning of Love if somebody could
      not feel the Love?
      > And then, I found the answer: "Love is bullshit".
      > Love is not eternal, it can be over if you could not
      maintain it.

      > Anyway, it is only my own opinion.
      > But it is glad to know about Love and Compassion in
      Buddhism.
      > I want to know the teaching from East, and the
      website link that
      you
      > provided to me is really useful to me. I already
      explored it.
      Thanks

      <brendaie@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Donna,
      > > Thanks a lot for the web info, this is also
      helpful for me :)

      > > Hi Karang,
      > > welcome to the group, i'm also new here and am
      glad to find this
      > > insightful group. You'll enjoy it as much as I do.
      We feel a lot
      of

      <mettamelb@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hi Karang,
      > > > There's plenty on the world wide web that you
      can find
      > > > to help towards learning about Buddhism. So many
      audio
      > > > talks and lots to read. The mailing lists are
      also
      > > > helpful and fun. Here are some sites with
      Buddhist

      http://www.seattleinsight.org/teachertalks.aspx?id=1

      http://www.abhayagiri.org/dhamma/index.htm#recent

      http://www.thubtenchodron.org/AudioLibrary/audio_library.html

      > > > I'm always learning. When I think of your
      question
      > > > about 'love and compassion' - yes, I agree that
      love
      > > > and compassion aren't exclusive to Buddhist
      practice!
      > > > So many spiritual practices throughout the whole
      world
      > > > share interests in promoting love and
      compassion. In
      > > > Buddhism, reducing suffering by practising the
      > > > eightfold noble path, really goes hand in hand
      with
      > > > giving (which helps towards getting rid of
      > > > greediness), lovingkindness (which dissolves
      hatred),
      > > > and learning and developing wisdom (which breaks
      down
      > > > delusion). If people are practising
      lovingkindness and
      > > > consciously focussing on this as an important
      part of
      > > > their lives, then there's less room for
      ill-will,
      > > > hatred or anger. This promotes goodness and
      > > > well-being. So does compassion. For me,
      compassion
      > > > goes along with reminding me of our
      connectedness as
      > > > beings. We all suffer and we all want to be
      happy. To
      > > > me, Buddhism is very positive and realistic
      because
      > > > the Buddha recognised truths that help reduce
      > > > suffering, leading towards liberation. Another
      thing I
      > > > like about Buddhist practice is the care for ALL
      > > > beings, including animals, which unfortunately
      can get
      > > > overlooked in our society. I can't think of
      anything
      > > > else to say! I hope that's helpful. :o)
      > > > With Metta,
      > > > Donna.

      learning
      decide
      list.

      itu.

      religion.

      ? Or

      > > > =====
      > > >
      > > > Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammasambuddhassa
      > > >

      > > > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
      Movies.
      > > > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

      Terms of Service.

      =====

      Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammasambuddhassa

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • karang_terjal
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2004
        LOVE....What is Love?
        Yes, Donna . I am agree that Love should come from our own heart, it
        is the rightful province of each human heart.

        I would like to invite my friend to join this group but Unfortunately
        I lost her for years. I just remembered her statement and wrote it
        here ;-(

        wrote:
> [...]
        > hatred),
        > down
        > lovingkindness and
        > part of
        > ill-will,
        > compassion
        > connectedness as
        > happy. To
        > because
        > thing I
        > can get
        > anything

        > learning
        > decide
        > list.

        > itu.

        > religion.
        > too.

        > ? Or

        > Movies.

        > Terms of Service.
        >

        > =====
        >
        > Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammasambuddhassa

      • mettamelb
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2004
          Yes, my friend, yes! I am in total agreeance (is that
          a word?, maybe it's agreement! :o) :o) It is the
          province of each human heart!!! --- karang_terjal
          ---------------------------------

          wrote:
> [...]
          > > But it is glad to know about Love and Compassion
          in
          > Buddhism.
          > > I want to know the teaching from East, and the
          > website link that
          > you
          > > provided to me is really useful to me. I already
          > explored it.
          > Thanks
          > > for welcome me to this group.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Karang
          > >
          > > --- In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, "Brenda"
          > <brendaie@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Donna,
          > > > Thanks a lot for the web info, this is also
          > helpful for me :)
          > > >
          > > > Hi Karang,
          > > > welcome to the group, i'm also new here and am
          > glad to find this
          > > > insightful group. You'll enjoy it as much as I

          Yahoo!
          > Terms of Service.
          >

          > =====
          >
          > Namo tassa bhagavato arahato sammasambuddhassa
          >

          > Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo!
          Movies.
          > http://au.movies.yahoo.com

          Terms of Service.

          =====

          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 14, 2007
            "The definition of love in Buddhism is: wanting others to be happy.
            The opposite is wanting others to be unhappy: anger, hatred.

            The definition of compassion is: wanting others to be free from
            suffering.
            The opposite is wanting others to suffer, or cruelty.

            'Compassion and love are not mere luxuries.
            As the source both of inner and external peace,
            they are fundamental to the continued survival of our species.'
            His Holiness the XIV Dalai Lama
            http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/immeasurables_love_compassion_equanimi
            ty_rejoicing.html

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 24, 2008
                "The definition of love in Buddhism is: wanting others to be happy.
                The opposite is wanting others to be unhappy: anger, hatred.
                The definition of compassion is: wanting others to be free from
                suffering.
                The opposite is wanting others to suffer, or cruelty.
                The definition of sympathetic joy is: being happy with someone's
                fortune/happiness.
                The opposite is jealousy, when one cannot accept the happiness of others."
                http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/immeasurables_love_compassion_equanimity_rejoicing.html

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 23, 2012
                    "The Pali commentaries explain:
                    One loves all beings <snip> by projecting the thought,
                    "May all beings be happy and not unhappy."
                    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/buddharakkhita/wheel365.html#ch5
                    From: Chapter 5: The Psychology of Metta
                    Metta: The Philosophy and Practice of Universal Love
                    by Acharya Buddharakkhita
                    For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and the Buddhist Publication Society http://www.bps.lk

                    Antony: I've started researching the topic of unhappiness. I used to think of freedom from suffering as reversion to a neutral state, whereas freedom from the unhappiness of dukkha is a challenge, a problem to be solved in order to realize deathless happiness: a much more inspiring compassion!

                    Please visit my Yahoo Group:

                    Message 9 of 19 , Jan 26, 2012
                      "You're looking in terms of what //I want//, what //I want// to get, what I don't want, as opposed to well what's actually causing suffering right now, what's not causing suffering right now. So based on this ignorance of you're not looking at things in terms of the Four Noble Truths you start fabricating things..."
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Goal-setting/message/141
                      http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/ThanissaroBhikkhu.html
                      From: Dependent Co-Arising: Reading 3 Description and Analysis (4 of 10)
                      By Thanissaro Bhikkhu

                      Antony: For this thread the phrase becomes "what's actually causing unhappiness right now?"

                      With metta / Antony.

                      PS Only one person's joined my dukkha group :( ;o)