5198RE: Geshe Kelsang Gyatso on equanimity

  • anattaman
    Nov 23, 2013

      Hi all -

      "Our first task, therefore, is to free our mind from these unbalanced attitudes and

      develop a genuine equanimity towards all living beings."

      To me that "first task" is more like the last . What's more can meditation do beyond that?

      Tep

      ===

      ---In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, <sharonwerner@...> wrote:

      Developing equanimity

      "Our attitudes towards others are normally unbalanced. When we see a
      friend, or someone we find particularly attractive, we are pleased;
      when we see an enemy, or an unattractive person, a feeling of dislike
      automatically arises; and when we see a stranger, or someone we find
      neither attractive nor unattractive, our mind remains indifferent to
      them. Such unbalanced attitudes are the main obstacle to developing
      unbiased love, compassion, and bodhichitta . . . Our first task,
      therefore, is to free our mind from these unbalanced attitudes and
      develop a genuine equanimity towards all living beings."

      ~ Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, "The Meditation Handbook"
      excerpted from web site:
      http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/Meditations/equanimity_compassion_me
      ditation.html#2