5189RE: Kindness & Right Effort, Right Effort & kindness (TB + comment)

  • anattaman
    Nov 19, 2013

      Hi Antony, -

      [Thanissaro Bhikkhu:] "You need a sense of goodwill to be even interested in the question of trying to understand suffering, because you want to find an effective way of dealing with it. You want to be rid of suffering, to experience wellbeing, precisely because you have goodwill for yourself and for others."

      That is an excellent observation of the fact that metta (and karuna?) aims at ridding of suffering. I can also see that the metta attitude also enhances right action, right livelihood, and right speech. The higher kind of metta  --metta-cetovimutti--  supports right concentration (fourth jhaana) and right release (samma-vimutti).

      Tep

      ===

      ---In Buddhaviharas@yahoogroups.com, <antony272b@...> wrote:

      "Back in the 70's I read a book about Buddhism whose author tried to organize everything around the four noble truths but couldn't figure how the four sublime attitudes fit into the framework of the four truths. They just didn't seem to connect anyplace at all, so the author ended up treating them as an entirely separate topic.

      But actually the four sublime attitudes underlie the whole practice. They're the reason the Buddha focused his teaching on the four noble truths. You need a sense of goodwill to be even interested in the question of trying to understand suffering, because you want to find an effective way of dealing with it. You want to be rid of suffering, to experience wellbeing, precisely because you have goodwill for yourself and for others.

      So as meditators we try to use that attitude, that desire, as a way of developing the center we need in order to work toward that wellbeing from a position of strength. If you don't have that basic sense of goodwill, you'll have a hard time trying to stir up the energy needed to master the concentration, to keep with the breath, to keep coming back to the breath no matter how many times you wander off."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/meditations.html#judicious
      From: Judicious vs. Judgmental by Thanissaro Bhikkhu
      For Free Distribution, as a gift of Dhamma, from Access to Insight and Thanissaro Bhikkhu

      Antony: So metta as kindness supports Right Effort, and in turn Right Effort is basically the effort to support kindness.