HOMEWORK DISCUSSION

  • Hai Nguyen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2008

      Dear friends,

      Please start sharing your thoughts on the email forum about the class discussion topic.  Discussion topic:  Based on your experience or understanding, Does mindfulness meditation practice originate from the Theravada or Mahayana tradition or both?  Please elaborate on your answer.

      I am also hoping that your homework on sitting meditation is going well.  Let us know your experiences.

      Finally, feel free to let us know if you have any other questions about the topics that we have covered in class so far.

      Have a wonderful week.
      Hai

    • rckingjr@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
        Dear Teacher,

        HAPPY NEW YEAR!

        Homework for the Thursday Teaching Group.

        I have been meditating 20 - 25 minutes a day. Unfortunately, sometimes it is not always mindful -- but I'm working on it.

        On the question -- At first I believed that meditation came from the Buddha because it is my understanding that he meditated. However, I then remembered that our teacher told us that not all monks meditated so then I didn't know what to think. We also discussed this at that last meeting.

        So, only because of our discussion, I found out that it is only a small part of the traditional Vietnamese Purloin? practice -- Zen.

        Is it true that the Buddha did meditate or am I just interrupting something that was said the wrong way?

        Anyhow, these are my thoughts.

        See you on February 14th.

        Janet

      • kluu1203@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
          Dear friends,

          I have just finished my sitting session of meditation today.  I have been practicing at night during week days since I have to commute early in the morning.  I practice meditation in the morning during the weekend.  I found that the morning sessions are much easier for me to be mindful than the evening one.  However, because of my long commute in the morning, I practice mediation while driving, some time with the help of the tape from Su Ong Thich tinh Tu.  It helps my drive to be more enjoyable and faster.  I notice beautiful things on the route, especially a few gorgeous sunrise recently.

          I have been confused a lot because of my different experiences with buddhist traditions.  As I said in class I was brought up, as many of us in Viet Nam, with Pure Land tradition.  It is Mahayana, we followed Buddha Amitaba teaching.  When I was young, I was not introduced to meditation at all.   I believe beginning in the early 70's, the  Zen  meditation  tradition started to be popular in VietNam.  At the time I was already in college in the US thus skipped the transition totally. As Vietnamese,  I still follow Pure land tradition for services as praying for the death, funeral services etc... since it seems to be part of the culture. With the Zen meditation tradition that we practice here, I think the practice helps me lead a more mindful and happier life.
          Theravada tradition follows the Buddha Shakyamuni and practices vipassana meditation. I do not have much experience about this tradition.
          I hope that I am on the right track for being less confused between many traditions that I have been exposed to.

          Luu

          Homework for the Thursday Teaching Group.

          I have been meditating 20 - 25 minutes a day. Unfortunately, sometimes it is not always mindful -- but I'm working on it.

          On the question -- At first I believed that meditation came from the Buddha because it is my understanding that he meditated. However, I then remembered that our teacher told us that not all monks meditated so then I didn't know what to think. We also discussed this at that last meeting.

          So, only because of our discussion, I found out that it is only a small part of the traditional Vietnamese Purloin? practice -- Zen.

          Is it true that the Buddha did meditate or am I just interrupting something that was said the wrong way?

          Anyhow, these are my thoughts.

          See you on February 14th.

          Janet

          >From: Hai Nguyen <hai_nguyen@sinhthuc .org>
          >Date: 2008/02/03 Sun PM 06:58:43 CST
          >To: BuddhaTeaching@ yahoogroups. com
          >Subject: [BuddhaTeaching] HOMEWORK DISCUSSION

          >Dearfriends,
          >Pleasestart sharing your thoughts on the email forum about the class discussiontopic.  Discussion topic: Based on your experience or understanding, Does mindfulness meditation practiceoriginate from the Theravada or Mahayana tradition or both?  Pleaseelaborate on your answer.
          >I am alsohoping that your homework on sitting meditation is going well.  Let usknow your experiences.
          >Finally,feel free to let us know if you have any other questions about the topics thatwe have covered in class so far.
          >Have awonderful week.
          >Hai

        • Hai Nguyen
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2008

            Happy New Year,

            Yesterday was the New Year day for many countries in South East Asia.  It is the year of the mouse (:-))   I would like to wish everyone a wonderful new year with much peace and joy.

            The past week, I have enjoyed reading emails from friends that have shared their understanding and practice experiences.  I would like to offer my thoughts on the following questions and comments.

            • Is it true that the Buddha did meditate or am I just interrupting something that was said the wrong way? – Yes, the Buddha meditated for many years before became awaked.  After his enlightenment, the Buddha continued to meditate everyday.
            • I am waiting for the drug companies to release "The Buddha Pill." – Please keep me posted on this pill.  I am also very interested (:-))
            • Maybe the folks who don't meditate should be much more "mindful" of these images of Buddha meditating - perhaps if they did some mindfulness meditation it would help them see what all these Buddhas are doing. – The schools of Buddhism that do not practice meditation are very aware of the fact that the Buddha became awaked because he meditated.  However, they did not think that everyone would have the determination, energy, and understanding to be successful in meditation.

            I would like to encourage the rest of the group to send in your thought on the discussion topic and homework experiences.  Finally, we have presented a few photos from the last class on the web page at http://www.sinhthuc.org/

            Have a great weekend and looking forward to read more sharing,

            Hai