A INTERESTING ARTICLE ON THE FAST PACE OF LIFE

  • Hai Nguyen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2008

      Good morning everyone,

      I hope that everyone are relaxing and enjoying the Summer.  I would like to share with you an article titled “Even the Rat Race Needs a Slow Lane”.  It has a few surprising statistics.  After reading the article, I would like to invite you to share your thoughts with the group on this topic.  Below are a few suggested discussion topics:

      1.      Most of us are actually multitasking in our life, and we are getting less done.

      2.      Slowing down from today fast pace of life is not an option but a necessity.

      3.      The fast pace of life is like a drug.  It is hard to give up.

      Hope that you will find the article interesting and looking forward to read everyone thoughts.  Let’s discuss and learn from each others.

      Thanks,

      Hai

    • Kim Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2008
        Good Morning!

        Thanks for sharing the article! Really, I can't imagine getting everything done in a day without multitasking through it all.  Whether good or bad, circumstances can really demand for it sometimes.  And being able to accomplish many objectives in this way certainly has shown me that the multitasking technique can be beneficial, so much that I believe I've incorporated it in other aspects of my life.  To be quite frank, it's almost as though I've gotten so used to it, that I don't feel mentally stimulated if I just focus on one thing for too long.. That's a pretty wild statement but seriously, its tough to find time to just take things as they come, and give each item the full attention it deserves.
        Which brings me to the point I believe Anh Minh Duc was making, that it is necessary for us to limit the amount of things we try to get accomplished at one time, to take time for our own peace of mind.

        So, like Horner, perhaps it is best to just narrow down the amount of activities I participate in, but how do you do that?! ^_^ Such tough decision making that will require......

        Respectfully,
        Kim

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2008
          Thank you Kim, Mirte, Janet, and John for sharing your thoughts on this interesting topic of Multitasking.  They were wonderful discussion.

          Let's look at the word Multitasking.  It means the ability to execute or do more than one task at a time.  Previously, this word is often used in the computer world to describe the multi-processing capability of the computer.  Today, the word is also quite popular for us, human (:-))

          As we experienced, most of us are often multitasking.  However, I believe the issue is not so much about whether we should multitask or not OR whether multitasking is good or bad for us.  I think the important issue is about our intention and awareness.  So I would like to raise new issues on this topic for contempation and discussion.
          1. When we multitask, do we really aware and consciously want to multitask or we do it because of life circumstances, busy schedule pushing us to multitask?
          2. When we multitask, are we aware of how much we can do this and still be able to have good quality of life or we just do whatever "life required"?
          Let's learn together and take a few minutes to send in your thoughts.  Looking forward to read more sharing from everyone.

          Hai
        • Pamela K Brown
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2008
            Hello everyone:
            I have appreciated the discussion on this topic as it has raised the
            issue into my awareness! I am usually aware that I multitask and have
            many things needing to be attended with not enough time to do it all. My
            natural tendency is to do one thing at a time but then I tend not to
            finish things! Sometimes I feel like a bee or hummingbird jumping from
            one thing to another as I've never learned to do two things at once. For
            the most part I can manage this as I feel I am responding to the demands
            of my current life and work which in fact I have chosen and gives me
            great satisfaction. There are moments though when I want things to slow
            down. What pulls me up short is when I'm confronted by death or illness
            - moments of mortality puts things into slow motion. Then I start back
            up again. There is something humorous about all this also - not sure why
            I see the humor in it but I do.
            I hope you are all well and enjoying the spectacular weather. The
            sunrise this morning was breathtaking!!
            -Dawnel
            Hit it out of the park with a new bat. Click now!
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3n5YOxkSL1dw90piJs0Xoe3a20Cacf1ojxFbh5OzIPplF5gw/