147[mindfulnessmeditation] RE: A INTERESTING ARTICLE ON THE FAST PACE OF LIFE

  • Hai Nguyen
    Aug 6, 2008

      From: mindfulnessmeditation@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mindfulnessmeditation@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Kim Moore
      Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:06 PM
      To: mindfulnessmeditation@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mindfulnessmeditation] RE: A INTERESTING ARTICLE ON THE FAST PACE OF LIFE

      1. When we multitask, do we really aware and consciously want to multitask or we do it because of life circumstances, busy schedule pushing us to multitask?

      It really depends on the circumstances I think.  Like if I am studying for a class, I really try to keep my focus and make it a point not to multitask, but when chores need to be done around the house, I usually don't mind talking on the phone or listening to music while I do them.  I can agree with the thought that it can be relaxing ^_^.  But if I am multitasking because I need to get many things done due to scheduling, then I definitely feel the stress from it.

      1. When we multitask, are we aware of how much we can do this and still be able to have good quality of life or we just do whatever "life required"?

      This question definitely makes me think - I can't say that I am fully aware of how much multitasking has affected my quality of life.  I really don't pay much attention to how much I miss; and that makes me think that perhaps I can afford to be more conscious about these things.  Just focusing on what life requires does kind of set a limit to what we can experience.....I think ^_^

      On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM, <macewentj@...> wrote:

      I believe that our society is part to blame for people multitasking. Here in the West it seems that so many people are conditioned to always get as much done as possible. Multitasking is a byproduct of this. We need to teach kids from an early age how to relax and meditate. I believe that a reason we multi task is to keep from feeling our true feelings and emotions. It is just another way to numb our selves. As I am sure all of you know , I have not tried but I am pretty sure it s difficult to be truly present and multitask at the same time.

      --
      Tom MacEwen
      Homecrest Cabinetry

      From: Hai Nguyen <hai_nguyen@...>

      Thank you Kim, Mirte, Janet, and John for sharing your thoughts on this interesting topic of Multitasking.  They were wonderful discussion.

      Let's look at the word Multitasking.  It means the ability to execute or do more than one task at a time.  Previously, this word is often used in the computer world to describe the multi-processing capability of the computer.  Today, the word is also quite popular for us, human (:-))

      As we experienced, most of us are often multitasking.  However, I believe the issue is not so much about whether we should multitask or not OR whether multitasking is good or bad for us.  I think the important issue is about our intention and awareness.  So I would like to raise new issues on this topic for contempation and discussion.

      1. When we multitask, do we really aware and consciously want to multitask or we do it because of life circumstances, busy schedule pushing us to multitask?
      2. When we multitask, are we aware of how much we can do this and still be able to have good quality of life or we just do whatever "life required"?

      Let's learn together and take a few minutes to send in your thoughts.  Looking forward to read more sharing from everyone.

      Hai

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic