Delray Beach Drum Circle Changes to Wednesday Night, 8:30pm, beginning May 10th

  • sophia letourneau
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      THIS IS A MESSAGE FOR ANYONE WHO ATTENDS THE WEEKLY DELRAY BEACH DRUM
      CIRCLE, OR WHO PUBLICIZES IT TO OTHERS. THERE'S A BIG CHANGE...

      Please change your records, and notify everyone you know:

      DELRAY BEACH DRUM CIRCLE
      AS OF WEDNESDAY, MAY 10TH
      NEW DAY OF THE WEEK: WEDNESDAYS
      NEW STARTING TIME: 8:30PM

      This Thursday (May 4th) will be our last Thursday night drum circle.
      That night we'll have a big farewell drumming/dancing celebration
      to say "good-bye" to Thursday nights - a tradition of many years.
      Let's have a big turnout - bring your friends and students, bring
      your drums, bring your dancing feet, bring refreshments (desserts
      and drinks). Let's honor everyone who's founded this long-running
      drum circle, who's helped guide it over the years, and who's nour-
      ished it by their participation (drumming or dancing). Let's make
      it a party!

      The following Thursday, May 11th, we would have been "bumped" because
      Art and Jazz on the Avenue is starting to use Old School Square that
      night. So this is the natural transition point. We'll switch over
      to our new night, Wednesday, beginning May 10th.

      And since the drum circle has actually been starting at 8:30pm for the
      past six months, even though we've been advertising it at 8pm, we'll
      honor the will of the people and start calling 8:30pm our official
      starting time.

      Next week, we'll send updated information about other parking lots
      to use near Old School Square, as they begin tearing up our favorite
      one and turning it into a 4-story parking garage over the next year.
      The good news: there are other nearby free parking options.

      IF YOU WANT THE DETAILS, AND THE POLL RESULTS, HERE'S THE BACKGROUND ON
      THIS WHOLE CHANGE:

      Recently we took a poll of all participants in the Thursday night Delray
      Beach Drum Circle.

      We told you that 3 obstacles have developed in our use of Old School
      Square on Thursdays.

      1. Art & Jazz on the Avenue occurs 1 Thursday each month on Atlantic
      Ave. Starting May 11th (10 days from now) they will also start using
      the stage in Old School Square for that event, so we can't drum there
      that night. That eliminates one Thursday every month.

      2. Festivals now happen in Old School Square about 1 weekend each month.
      Often they begin preparations by Thursday night (fencing off the
      Square, setting up tents or other structures, having rehearsals on the
      stage, etc.) That makes another Thursday each month where it will be
      difficult to hold our drum circle.

      3. Starting this week, the main parking lot east of Old School Square
      will be a major construction site, as they build a 4-story parking
      garage there. This will make parking even tighter, as those 200 peo-
      ple who would have parked there fan out through the neighborhood.
      Drummers with heavy drums don't like having to park blocks away.

      A solution, offered by the management of Old School Square, is for us
      to shift our drum circle to another night earlier in the week (Monday,
      Tuesday, or Wednesday). This will solve all three problems listed above:

      1. We won't be bumped out of our location by Art and Jazz on the Avenue
      (nor any other event that they foresee on their official calendar).
      Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights are virtually empty of activity.

      2. They never start preparations for weekend festivals prior to Thursday,
      so we'll never encounter that conflict.

      3. Parking would be much easier since there would be much less competi-
      tion on those quieter weeknights.

      From those who've been overseeing this drum circle over the years, I'm
      told that simply finding another location is not a good alternative.
      We've been evicted from a number of locations because of noise complaints
      from residential neighbors. This location has no such neighbors. Also it
      is centrally located in the middle of Palm Beach County, convenient for
      those both north and south.

      Here are the results of your votes - including those cast on our website,
      those e-mailed directly to us, and those cast at last Thursday's drum
      circle:

      * Stay there on Thursday nights, live with the 3 problems. 0 votes 0%
      * Change to Wednesday nights. 19 votes 76%
      * Change to Tuesday nights. 4 votes 16%
      * Change to Monday nights. 1 vote 4%
      * I don't care - any night is fine. 1 vote 4%

      So, the people have spoken. Starting Wednesday, May 10th, we'll shift
      over to Wednesday nights, with our new starting time of 8:30pm.

      Namaste,

      Michael

      Coordinator - Southeast Florida Drum Circle Community - Yahoo Group
      * Free weekly drum circle newsletter (register at website below)
      * Website with up-to-date calendar of drum circle events, drumming/
      dancing resources (links, educational info, teachers, classes, per-
      formances, vendors, etc.)

      PARA - THE CENTER FOR REALIZATION
      and THE RELATIONSHIP INSTITUTE
      Michael Dean Goodman Ph.D., D.D., Director
      Boca Raton (Palm Beach County) Florida
      561-350-3930 (24 hours) * tantra@...

      Counselor * Author * Speaker
      Spiritual guide (ayur veda, meditation, tantra, satsang)
      Workshops & Retreats * Classes * Private Educational Sessions
      Clients and programs throughout the United States, Europe, and India
      Working in person or by phone
      Free initial consultation to discuss your needs and goals