OBBFHP

  • Jeanne Martin-Chown
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
      Hello! Would any of you know if the Old Broad Bay Family History Project is
      still an on-going concern? My third cousin, Renee Seiders of Damariscotta,
      was one of the founding members and the project was in conjunction with the
      LDS. This was several years ago. I went on a day out that they sponsored
      where we went into the woods and revealed old gravestones from the original
      settlement and then a tour of the German Lutheran Church in Waldoboro which
      they opened just for us and we could see our ancestors' original pews! My
      emails to my cousin have not been answered so I'll write her land mail.
      Although a native Mainer and doing genealogy for years, I have been living
      in England for the past five years. Last summer when we visited Maine I
      finally got the last of my stuff out of storage including my genealogy
      material and local and family history books. What a relief to finally have
      access to it again! Prior to that I had to make due with some photocopies
      from the originals I had made and brought with me. Unfortunately, there was
      nothing from the OBBFHP in my materials. I don't know if they were tossed
      out or simply misplaced. Anyway, my primary German name is SEIDERS. That
      was my grandmother's maiden name. They lived in South Bristol and nearby
      towns. If anyone knows if the Old Broad Bay Family History Project still
      exists or what happened to it, I'd be pleased to hear. I've been reading
      with interest postings on this site for a while now. Thanks! - Jeanne
    • Ejk474@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
        Hello Jeanne,

        I don't think the OBBFHA is too active anymore. I joined in 1998 in an
        attempt to get information on John Frederick Pracht (Prock) and Susanna
        Wagner whom I believe are my ggg grandparents but communication is at a
        virtual standstill.

        I received two issues of the "Bund und Blatt", the last being for Quarter 1 -
        1999. Your third cousin, Renee, promised to get more current and have
        another issue out by June 1999 but I never got one.

        I have had very little luck in getting any of the officers of the OBBFHA to
        respond to my inqueries. Mr. WW Whitaker has taken little interest in this
        venture since his book was published in April 1998.

        If you have any information on the Prachts(Procks) or Wagners, I'd appreciate
        hearing from you.

        Regards,

        Ed Kelley
        (Now live in California but used to Summer at Sebago Lake as a kid)