Re: Loyalists

  • Ejk474@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 1999
      Charles,

      I'm not familiar with the "Quieting of the Settlers on the Waldo Patent".
      This was raised by Bob Brooks in his reply to my original message.

      Ed
    • ejk474@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 1999
        It seems that my original posting of 11 Nov 99 looking for persons who may be aware of a connection between Hayden's Company of The King's Rangers and the German settlement at Broad Bay has turned into a discussion of land disputes in that area. This was not my intent.

        I mentioned that it may have been possible that some of the sons of the original German settlers joined the Loyalist unit as their parents were having problems obtaining title to the land from Samuel Waldo. I have no proof that anyone joined for that reason. In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" the authors indicated that many of the original settlers were having problems obtaining a valid land title and that the reason, in many cases, was that they owed Samuel Waldo for all or part of their passage to America. I assumed that this may have been a valid reason for some sons to have joined a Loyalist unit since the British were offering land grants in exchange for service. It is quite possible that they joined for other reasons.

        My main purpose is to establish a link between German names in PEI and Broad Bay during that period of time. My ggg grandfather whose name was Frederick Praught was a member of The King's Rangers as was John Achorn. In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" the authors have a John Achorn who they claim moved to PEI. In the book "An Island Refuge" which is a book about Loyalists and Disbanded Troops on the Island of Saint John (now PEI), they list John Achorn as coming from Broad Bay and being the son of Mattheu´┐Ż Eichhorn. Therefore, one link back to Broad Bay has been established.

        My question is - - does anyone know of others in the Broad Bay community that may have joined The King's Rangers regardless of the reason for joining? I am hoping to find a link between Frederick Praught and John Frederick Procht whose father was Peter Pracht of Broad Bay. I understand that the current day descendants are called Prock.

        Ed Kelley
      • RCBrooks
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 27, 1999
          Ed & Listers --

          When Ed raised the possibility of The King's Rangers recruiting at
          Penobscot during the time the British occupied Castine, my immediate
          reaction was "No way, Hosea!" as the only recollection I had was of a
          small muster list of loyalist soldiers attached to the Loyalist claim of
          a person who claimed to have spent some time at Penobscot and who also
          claimed to served as a Loyalist Ranger in Canada. As I did not
          recognize the name of the claimant or any of the names on the list, I
          assumed this was a Nova Scotian unit.

          Digging through some old files, I came upon a copy of a document I found
          in the Public Record Office in England more than 15 years ago. The
          document was in a box of loose papers (Ref: WO 60/33, pt. 1) and was
          entitled: "Abstract of the number of Men, Women and Children of the
          British and Foreign Regiments, New Levies, Civil Departments &ca &ca
          victualled at Halifax and its Dependencies." At that time, Fort George
          at Penobscot was an administrative dependency of the Halifax Commissary
          General. Because the list is rather short, I reproduce it here in its
          entirity as the family aspect of the British forces is not normally
          known.

          ORGANIZATION MEN WOMEN CHILDREN
          74th Regiment 520 62 92
          70th Regiment 4 3 1
          4th Bn Royal Artillery 6 5 11
          1st Battn Kings Rangers 3 5 8
          Engineering Department 10 - -
          Commissary General Dept 5 1 2
          Refugees 39 - -
          Inhabitants, averaged at 28 - -

          In the notes section: "Penobscot -- The Inhabitants employ'd on the
          publick Works vary so much that it is not possible to calculate with any
          precision." 'Inhabitants' worked as laborers on the construction of the
          fort in return for rations.

          As this list is for rations ('victualled') the fact that the Rangers had
          more women than men suggests that there were more males (troops) than
          those who received rations.

          I have also just corresponded with some historians knowledgeable on the
          subject of Loyalist troops. Here are some of their comments:

          "If I remember correctly, [Col.] Robert Rogers wrote a letter saying
          that he was present at the battle [at Penobscot] with some of his men."

          "Captain Jones (aka "Black Jones" apparently first battalion KR)
          conducted amphibious raids from the Penobscot area."

          "A Kings Ranger Lieutenant from the area mentions being used as marines
          in his Loyalist claim."

          "I did find a reference in the Carleton Papers to Hayden being present
          there [at Penobscot] at one time, but forget the date."

          "In a note of the printed version of William Bayard's loyalist claim it
          mentions that the King's Orange Rangers and Gorham's Fencible Americans
          were cited for assiting to build the works at Penobscot."

          The only logical way that the old drunk, Col. Robert Rogers, the
          commander of the King's Rangers, could have been 'at the battle' would
          have been if he and his troops were on the Naval relief fleet under Sir
          George Collier which routed the Americans in August 1779. This would be
          consistent with the perception that they were used as 'marines' on a
          shipboard assignment.

          Ed, where there is smoke, there usually is fire. I have documented
          above that the 1st Battalion of Kings Rangers (irregardless as to their
          small manning level) was at Penobscot in June 1782. While this does not
          prove recruiting at Waldoboro, it certainly opens up the possibility.
          Today bu car, it is between one hour plus 45 minutes and 2 hours to
          drive from Castine to Waldoboro -- say it is 75 miles -- okay, an hour
          and a half if you speed and take the back roads. By boat, it was in the
          1780s a day's trip down and about three-quarters of a day's trip back in
          prevaling winds and going through the islands.

          Bob Brooks, downeast on the coast of Maine
        • NStrands@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 1999
            Hello,
            I have been following this discussion with interest. My ancestor Jacob
            Jung/Young, was part of the Waldoboro German colony with his father and
            siblings. He received a land grant in New Brunswick and is listed as having
            been part of the King's Orange Rangers. However, he also spent some time in
            Marblehead, Mass. as it was there that he married Rachel Ferguson. It is
            interesting to speculate that he may have been at Penobscot (and apparently,
            Rachel and the children too!)
            Nikki Strandskov
            Minneapolis