Loyalists

  • ejk474@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 10, 1999
      One of my ancestors was given a land grant for serving in a loyalist unit and settled in Prince Edward Island (PEI), Canada after the American Revolution. His name was Frederick Praught and is believed, although not yet proven, to be John Frederick Pracht of Broad Bay. His wife's name was Susanna Wagner.

      It is believed that he joined Hayden's Company of The King's Rangers while it was passing through Maine on its way to defend PEI from attack. In fact, other names such as Acorn (Eichorn), Creamer and Dockendorf appeared in PEI shortly after the Revolution and also appear in Broad Bay history.

      Since many of the German settlers in Broad Bay were having such a difficult time obtaining title to their land, it is believed that some of their sons joined the loyalist units after be offered land grants for joining but, again, I have no proof of this.

      Does anyone on the list have proof of any connection between Hayden's Company of The King's Rangers and the German community at Broad Bay.

      Ed Kelley
    • Ejk474@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 11, 1999
        Reply to Bob Brooks,

        The King's Rangers were formed in 1779 in NewJersey and Captained by Samuel
        Hayden. There is a website at http://www.erols.com/candidus/kings.htm that
        goes into more detail. According to the website, they were garrisoned at a
        British fort on the Penobscot River before relocating to PEI. Unfortunately,
        they don't mention which fort.

        I suspect Samuel Hayden may have come from NJ but the website states that,
        although he was given land in PEI, he moved to Maine and lived out his life
        there.

        It may have turned out that the "Quieting of the Settlers on the Waldo
        Patent" corrected the problem but these men, if they came from Broad Bay,
        would have joined prior to its implementation.

        I wish I knew the name of the fort on the Penobscot as it or some archive may
        still hold records of that period.

        Ed Kelley
      • RCBrooks
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 11, 1999
          Ed Kelley --

          Wow! Did you catch my attention with this!

          -snip-
          > It is believed that he joined Hayden's Company of The King's Rangers while it was passing through Maine on its way to defend PEI from attack.

          To my knowledge, the only Loyalist miltary unit in Maine during the
          RevWar was a small group who apparently came from somewhere in that part
          of Nova Scotia which is now New Brunswick to Fort George in what is now
          Castine, Maine. I now can't pinpoint the date but suspect that it was
          1783 almost two years after Cornwallis's surrrender and at at time when
          everyone in Castine knew that the peace was being settled. At that time
          (1782-'83), Castine was believed (hoped?) to be the westernmost
          settlement on the British Canada side of the new border. The company
          only numbered 12 or 15 persons and a list is found as an attachment in
          one of the Loyalist's claims found in PRO AO 12/... or AO 13/... I did
          not recognize any of the names on the list and can not recall who was
          the commander. I do not recall any of the names as being Germanic or
          Anglo-Germanic.

          To my knowledge, no Loyalist unit ever passed thru Maine. If they were
          going to PEI, then it must be implied that they started somewhere to the
          westward. WHERE DID THEY COME FROM? Brigadier Peleg Wadsworth and the
          6th Regt. of Mass. Militia were stationed principally in what is now
          Knox County until after Cornwallis's surrender. Col. John Allen
          commanded forces out of Machias although I can't say without a bit of
          research exactly when he disbanded.

          Who was 'Hayden' and were was he from?

          It has always been my impression that the Waldoboro boys all fought on
          the American side of the RevWar. The only thing out of the ordinary re:
          Waldoboro which I recall was that there was a German mercenary soldier
          (Brunswicker) taken captive at the Battle of Bennington in VT in 1777
          who was indentured to a Waldoboro farmer. After 458 Ansbach-Bayreuth
          and Brunswick mercenary troops were sent to reinforce Castine in the
          fall 1782, this indentured servant 'deserted' from Waldoboro and
          rejoined the Brunswick troops at Castine. A report on this man is found
          in the Captain Heinrich Cleve papers on microfilm of the photostats of
          the German originals at the Library of Congress. Cleve was a Dutchman
          who commanded the Brunswick detachment of 'recruits' at Castine.

          > Since many of the German settlers in Broad Bay were having such a
          > difficult time obtaining title to their land, it is believed that
          > some of their sons joined the loyalist units after be offered land
          > grants for joining but, again, I have no proof of this.

          I do not claim to be an expert on Waldoboro; however, it is my
          impression that the post-RevWar "Quieting the Settlers on the Waldo
          Patent" included the sons & sons-in-law of Waldoboro settlers who had
          'squatted' on land which was owned by the Waldo Heirs. An Act of the
          Mass. legistature created a three man panel charged with laying out and
          evaluating the 100 acres which best encompased the improvements of these
          squatters. The "Honorable Commisioners" established the price which the
          squatter could then purchase the land. Henry Knox (whose wife was a
          Waldo granddaughter and who had purchased the hereditary rights of the
          other Waldo heirs) gave reasonable payment (mortgage) terms. There are
          two volumes at the Mass. Archives on this subject, one full volume re:
          Prospect and the other vol. re: Waldoboro, Owls Head and various and
          sundry other small plots.

          > Does anyone on the list have proof of any connection between Hayden's Company of The King's Rangers and the German community at Broad Bay.

          If anyone knows anything about this, please post it for all to read.

          Bob Brooks, Sandy Point ME
        • RCBrooks
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 11, 1999
            Ed

            Thanks for the URL for the Kings Rangers. For the benefit of the other
            listers, I extract a bit of the history presented at that site.

            "The First Battalion's activities under [Captain Samuel] Hayden are
            cloaked in mystery ... It is believed that detachments of these King's
            Rangers participated in raids and scouting missions into New Jersey from
            1779 to 1781. It is documented that they served as marines aboard
            various Royal Navy vessels before being garrisoned at a British fort on
            the Penobscot River in Maine.... Hayden's Company is known to have
            guarded rebel prisoners on a prison ship in Halifax harbour before being
            sent to the Island of Saint John [Prince Edward Island] in 1782. They
            stayed ... and were given land grants there when the unit was disbanded
            in 1783/1784."

            The site also presents muster rolls dated 10 Aug 1780 and 29 Dec 1780,
            both locate the Regiment at New York. In Aug, five privates are listed
            as having been sent to Halifax in Oct 1779. In the Dec 1780 muster, an
            Ensign, 1 Sergeant, 1 Corporal and 7 Privates are listed as being in
            Halifax. The strength in Dec 1780 was 3 officers, 3 NCOs & 50 Privates.

            COMMENTS: I am trying to figure out when the King's Rangers could have
            been garrisoned at Castine. The logical fit based on their known other
            activities would have been in 1781 but the rationale behind their being
            sent to Castine is beyond me. I have emailed the owner of the King's
            Ranger's website and queried him.

            Ed, you wrote:
            > I wish I knew the name of the fort on the Penobscot as it or some
            > archive may still hold records of that period.

            The Public Record Office (PRO) (UK National Archives) in Kew has:
            AO Audit Office] 1/2533/672 :: "Declared accounts, Roll 672, Capt.
            T[homas]. Hartcup, Commanding Engineer at Penobacot.[sic] :: {dated} 1
            May 1779-24 Jan. 1784
            -and-
            AO 1/2533/674 :: "Declared Accounts, Roll 674, Lieut. D. Stewart, Deputy
            Paymaster at Penobscot. :: {dated} 22 June 1781-24 July 1782

            I have not seen either of these documents. I have never been able to
            locate muster rolls for the British Troops there.

            Bob Brooks, Sandy Point ME
          • Ejk474@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 12, 1999
              Charles,

              I'm not familiar with the "Quieting of the Settlers on the Waldo Patent".
              This was raised by Bob Brooks in his reply to my original message.

              Ed
            • charles brack
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 12, 1999
                Ed:
                Is there an explanation of the "Quieting of the Settlers on the Waldo
                Patent?" I did have an ancestor involved in that dispute.

                No reference for this, but I did read where some of the German settlers made
                their way to North Carolina over the land dispute.

                thanks, Charles
                >The King's Rangers were formed in 1779 in NewJersey and Captained by Samuel
                >Hayden. There is a website at http://www.erols.com/candidus/kings.htm that
                >goes into more detail. According to the website, they were garrisoned at a
                >British fort on the Penobscot River before relocating to PEI.
                Unfortunately,
                >they don't mention which fort.
                >
                >I suspect Samuel Hayden may have come from NJ but the website states that,
                >although he was given land in PEI, he moved to Maine and lived out his life
                >there.
                >
                >It may have turned out that the "Quieting of the Settlers on the Waldo
                >Patent" corrected the problem but these men, if they came from Broad Bay,
                >would have joined prior to its implementation.
                >
                >I wish I knew the name of the fort on the Penobscot as it or some archive
                may
                >still hold records of that period.
                >
                >Ed Kelley

              • charles brack
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 12, 1999
                  Bob:
                  I don't have a lot of information.

                  My ancestor, Hugh Holmes was one of the so-called "Pemaquid Heirs" and there
                  was a land dispute between the German and non-German colonists and it was
                  resolved around 1764, I believe.

                  If this is the land dispute we are referring to, Lincoln Co. has deeds for
                  that land. There also has to be court records somewhere.

                  Charles

                • ejk474@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 12, 1999
                    It seems that my original posting of 11 Nov 99 looking for persons who may be aware of a connection between Hayden's Company of The King's Rangers and the German settlement at Broad Bay has turned into a discussion of land disputes in that area. This was not my intent.

                    I mentioned that it may have been possible that some of the sons of the original German settlers joined the Loyalist unit as their parents were having problems obtaining title to the land from Samuel Waldo. I have no proof that anyone joined for that reason. In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" the authors indicated that many of the original settlers were having problems obtaining a valid land title and that the reason, in many cases, was that they owed Samuel Waldo for all or part of their passage to America. I assumed that this may have been a valid reason for some sons to have joined a Loyalist unit since the British were offering land grants in exchange for service. It is quite possible that they joined for other reasons.

                    My main purpose is to establish a link between German names in PEI and Broad Bay during that period of time. My ggg grandfather whose name was Frederick Praught was a member of The King's Rangers as was John Achorn. In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" the authors have a John Achorn who they claim moved to PEI. In the book "An Island Refuge" which is a book about Loyalists and Disbanded Troops on the Island of Saint John (now PEI), they list John Achorn as coming from Broad Bay and being the son of Mattheu´┐Ż Eichhorn. Therefore, one link back to Broad Bay has been established.

                    My question is - - does anyone know of others in the Broad Bay community that may have joined The King's Rangers regardless of the reason for joining? I am hoping to find a link between Frederick Praught and John Frederick Procht whose father was Peter Pracht of Broad Bay. I understand that the current day descendants are called Prock.

                    Ed Kelley
                  • RCBrooks
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 27, 1999
                      Ed & Listers --

                      When Ed raised the possibility of The King's Rangers recruiting at
                      Penobscot during the time the British occupied Castine, my immediate
                      reaction was "No way, Hosea!" as the only recollection I had was of a
                      small muster list of loyalist soldiers attached to the Loyalist claim of
                      a person who claimed to have spent some time at Penobscot and who also
                      claimed to served as a Loyalist Ranger in Canada. As I did not
                      recognize the name of the claimant or any of the names on the list, I
                      assumed this was a Nova Scotian unit.

                      Digging through some old files, I came upon a copy of a document I found
                      in the Public Record Office in England more than 15 years ago. The
                      document was in a box of loose papers (Ref: WO 60/33, pt. 1) and was
                      entitled: "Abstract of the number of Men, Women and Children of the
                      British and Foreign Regiments, New Levies, Civil Departments &ca &ca
                      victualled at Halifax and its Dependencies." At that time, Fort George
                      at Penobscot was an administrative dependency of the Halifax Commissary
                      General. Because the list is rather short, I reproduce it here in its
                      entirity as the family aspect of the British forces is not normally
                      known.

                      ORGANIZATION MEN WOMEN CHILDREN
                      74th Regiment 520 62 92
                      70th Regiment 4 3 1
                      4th Bn Royal Artillery 6 5 11
                      1st Battn Kings Rangers 3 5 8
                      Engineering Department 10 - -
                      Commissary General Dept 5 1 2
                      Refugees 39 - -
                      Inhabitants, averaged at 28 - -

                      In the notes section: "Penobscot -- The Inhabitants employ'd on the
                      publick Works vary so much that it is not possible to calculate with any
                      precision." 'Inhabitants' worked as laborers on the construction of the
                      fort in return for rations.

                      As this list is for rations ('victualled') the fact that the Rangers had
                      more women than men suggests that there were more males (troops) than
                      those who received rations.

                      I have also just corresponded with some historians knowledgeable on the
                      subject of Loyalist troops. Here are some of their comments:

                      "If I remember correctly, [Col.] Robert Rogers wrote a letter saying
                      that he was present at the battle [at Penobscot] with some of his men."

                      "Captain Jones (aka "Black Jones" apparently first battalion KR)
                      conducted amphibious raids from the Penobscot area."

                      "A Kings Ranger Lieutenant from the area mentions being used as marines
                      in his Loyalist claim."

                      "I did find a reference in the Carleton Papers to Hayden being present
                      there [at Penobscot] at one time, but forget the date."

                      "In a note of the printed version of William Bayard's loyalist claim it
                      mentions that the King's Orange Rangers and Gorham's Fencible Americans
                      were cited for assiting to build the works at Penobscot."

                      The only logical way that the old drunk, Col. Robert Rogers, the
                      commander of the King's Rangers, could have been 'at the battle' would
                      have been if he and his troops were on the Naval relief fleet under Sir
                      George Collier which routed the Americans in August 1779. This would be
                      consistent with the perception that they were used as 'marines' on a
                      shipboard assignment.

                      Ed, where there is smoke, there usually is fire. I have documented
                      above that the 1st Battalion of Kings Rangers (irregardless as to their
                      small manning level) was at Penobscot in June 1782. While this does not
                      prove recruiting at Waldoboro, it certainly opens up the possibility.
                      Today bu car, it is between one hour plus 45 minutes and 2 hours to
                      drive from Castine to Waldoboro -- say it is 75 miles -- okay, an hour
                      and a half if you speed and take the back roads. By boat, it was in the
                      1780s a day's trip down and about three-quarters of a day's trip back in
                      prevaling winds and going through the islands.

                      Bob Brooks, downeast on the coast of Maine
                    • NStrands@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 28, 1999
                        Hello,
                        I have been following this discussion with interest. My ancestor Jacob
                        Jung/Young, was part of the Waldoboro German colony with his father and
                        siblings. He received a land grant in New Brunswick and is listed as having
                        been part of the King's Orange Rangers. However, he also spent some time in
                        Marblehead, Mass. as it was there that he married Rachel Ferguson. It is
                        interesting to speculate that he may have been at Penobscot (and apparently,
                        Rachel and the children too!)
                        Nikki Strandskov
                        Minneapolis