Re: Van Buren Wallace

  • RCBrooks
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 1999
      Tammy

      I will be very surprised is you tie the name Martin Van Buren to the
      Waldoboro Germans. Martin van Buren was a very popular political figure
      in his day. He was a senator picted to be Andy jackson's secretary of
      State in 1831, then he was Jackson's second term Vice President
      1833-1837 and went on to become president 1837-1841.

      Van Buren was of New York Dutch roots, hence the 'van' whereas if he was
      german, it would have been 'von' -- and I assure you that the difference
      between 'van' versus 'von' was very important to those heritages.

      Now the surname, Wallace/Wallis, may go back to a German named
      Waliser/Wallizer/Walleazor. I think Johan Christofer was the first of
      that name.

      I make no claim to be an expert on Waldoboro but I cannot recall seeing
      the name 'Buren' or 'van Buren' in association with Waldoboro. Of
      course there was a 'Burns' family there early. I have found numerous
      namesakes of 'the little magician of Lindenwald' as President Martin Van
      Buren was called. Of the presidents, his name was about third or fourth
      most popular presidental name to pass on to one's child. The most
      popular was George Washington followed by Andrew Jackson. Martin Van
      Buren and Thomas Jefferson where about even in the third and fourth
      slot.

      Well this is one man's oar in the water. Happy hunting. Sorry I
      couldn't be more encouraging.

      Bob Brooks, Downeast on the Coast of Maine