Van Buren Wallace

  • Tamah@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 1999
      Hi, my name is Tammy and I'm a "genealogy-aholic". hehe My great grandfather was M. Van Buren Wallace and I'm investigating the possibility that the "Van Buren" part is German and is, perhaps his mothers maiden name. He went by the name of "Van" and was married to Rosetta Richardson in Bristol,ME around March 30, 1876. Below are excerpts from the Boothbay Region Historical Society:
      "I believe Martin Van Buren Wallace came from Waldoboro, but by 1871 was living in Bristol at least until 1875, by the deed records. Then he lived in Boothbay from 1883 until 1888, by the valuation records. From 1891 to 1908 he was back in Bristol, by the deed records.
      Lincoln County Deeds
      book246:page310: Moses L. Kaler of Waldoboro and Van Buren Wallis of Bristol sold to John Gross for $100 5 1/4 acres in Waldoboro on 10-9-1871. No wife signed. Perhaps Wallace was signing off on family land.
      246:322 Ellen and Albion Russell of Bristol sold to V.B. Wallis of Bristol land on Long Cove Rd, 11-25-1871....I noticed on pages 387, 388 of v. 253 that there were many Wallaces in Waldoboro getting that land [246:310] from Gross."

      It goes on to list properties purchased in Bristol. This branch of my tree has been particularly stubborn, and I have no info any further back than Van and Rosetta Wallace. I thought I might find some new clues in Waldoboro. If you have any information or suggestions, I thank you in advance for your help.

      Other surnames I am researching (mostly in Maine and eastern Canada) are: Proctor, Robinson, Colbeth, Larrabee, Ingersol, Cole, Libby, Leighton, Lockwood, Smith, Valley, Doak, Elliott, Garrison and Chandler (I've got the Chandler line traced back to the 1500's!) I'll look forward to reading all the posts on the Broad Bay List. Thanks.

      Sincerely, Tammy Haley
      Tamah@...
    • RCBrooks
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 1999
        Tammy

        I will be very surprised is you tie the name Martin Van Buren to the
        Waldoboro Germans. Martin van Buren was a very popular political figure
        in his day. He was a senator picted to be Andy jackson's secretary of
        State in 1831, then he was Jackson's second term Vice President
        1833-1837 and went on to become president 1837-1841.

        Van Buren was of New York Dutch roots, hence the 'van' whereas if he was
        german, it would have been 'von' -- and I assure you that the difference
        between 'van' versus 'von' was very important to those heritages.

        Now the surname, Wallace/Wallis, may go back to a German named
        Waliser/Wallizer/Walleazor. I think Johan Christofer was the first of
        that name.

        I make no claim to be an expert on Waldoboro but I cannot recall seeing
        the name 'Buren' or 'van Buren' in association with Waldoboro. Of
        course there was a 'Burns' family there early. I have found numerous
        namesakes of 'the little magician of Lindenwald' as President Martin Van
        Buren was called. Of the presidents, his name was about third or fourth
        most popular presidental name to pass on to one's child. The most
        popular was George Washington followed by Andrew Jackson. Martin Van
        Buren and Thomas Jefferson where about even in the third and fourth
        slot.

        Well this is one man's oar in the water. Happy hunting. Sorry I
        couldn't be more encouraging.

        Bob Brooks, Downeast on the Coast of Maine