City, Town, County Records

  • fenchel387
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
      I visited Waldoboro several years ago hoping to get information on
      Prachts (now Procks) and Wagners. Town hall personnel told me that
      the records were lost in a fire many years ago.

      My question is - were the town records deposited in the County or
      State archives anytime before the fire?

      I have a copy of Broad Bay Pioneers but have found that there are
      many errors and/or omissions, especially as they relate to the
      Prachts and Wagners.

      Over the years I have written to many of the Procks living in
      Waldoboro but none of them has ever responded. Is there anyone in
      town who can get them to write me?

      I am looking for information on John Frederick Pracht and Susanna
      Wagner. Both names appear in Broad Bay Pioneers for a brief time
      only. I believe that John Frederick joined the King's Rangers, a
      loyalist unit, along with other Waldoboro youngsters and, ultimately,
      ended up in Prince Edward Island (PEI) where they were given land
      grants. Other Waldoboro names that turn up in PEI are Eichhorn
      (Acorn), Dockendorf and others.

      Any information would be very much appreciated. It's been a long
      struggle to get any information on Waldoboro residents.

      Edward Kelley
      Los Altos, California
    • Benner
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
        I visited Waldoboro several years ago hoping to get information on
        Prachts (now Procks) and Wagners.  Town hall personnel told me that
        the records were lost in a fire many years ago.
        My question is - were the town records deposited in the County or
        State archives anytime before the fire?

        Hi, Ed,
        You've contacted me before on this issue. Good to know that someone out there is still working on these families!
        Every town has had a devastating "fire"! Often, the case is the office personel can't be bothered, or simply just don't have the time, to paw through the old records. (They really ARE busy, you know.)
        The town DOES have the old books. I have used them on just a couple occasions years ago. They are old, original, fragile, and VERY valuable; meaning that if they disappeared they'd be gone forever.
        The early days were not all inclusive; meaning much of the birth, deaths, and marriages were never originally recorded. Probably for several reasons; the doctors, ministers, and perhaps undertakers or family members never forwarded or had these events recorded by a town official.
        What you see in the WALDOBORO VITAL RECORDS, by Esther Gross, the Lilly Post, et al, is pretty much what there is,... total. The state archives in Augusta has ALL this information too, on microfilm.

        I have a copy of Broad Bay Pioneers but have found that there are
        many errors and/or omissions, especially as they relate to the
        Prachts and Wagners.

        ALL genealogies and family histories have errors; even my published Benner book and undoubtaby my upcoming Waldoboro cemetery book. Jasper Stahl's book has errors! As for Broad Bay Pioneers, well, yes there are errors. Ultimately, I believe, it's up to the individual user who views and copies such information to verify that what he sees, copies, and uses is correct by verifying it with a primary or secondary source. And where would we be without those works? I praise the authors for that simply because of the dedication of time, effort, and expense they put into such a monumental task! Who ELSE would have eventually done it? Most likely no one! What really amazes me about those two authors is one has absolutely NO genealogical connection to New England at all and Wilford had a distant connection to the Hylers of, (I think), St.George/Cushing.

        Over the years I have written to many of the Procks living in
        Waldoboro but none of them has ever responded.  Is there anyone in
        town who can get them to write me?

        I can not "get anyone" in the Prock family to write. The real fact of the matter is that many people don't know "where they came from"! I've met and talked to more Benners than probably any other Benner who has ever lived. A couple of them believed that their ancestors came to this area on one of those old shipwrecks, (cargo barges), that sat in Wicasset harbor these past fifty years! Few people out of the entire general population around here are genealogists of any degree. There are those who don't know who their grandparents names were, let alone actually met them!
        I don't belive I've ever seen a Prock/Pracht family outline; it wouldn't be as volumous as the Benner, Genthner, or Winchenbach lines if there was one. There really aren't that many Procks buried here in town.

        I am looking for information on John Frederick Pracht and Susanna
        Wagner.  Both names appear in Broad Bay Pioneers for a brief time
        only.  I believe that John Frederick joined the King's Rangers, a
        loyalist unit, along with other Waldoboro youngsters and, ultimately,
        ended up in Prince Edward Island (PEI) where they were given land
        grants.  Other Waldoboro names that turn up in PEI are Eichhorn
        (Acorn), Dockendorf and others.

        Yes, and along with them a Sebastian Zuberbuler, a friend/business partner of Samuel Waldo.
        Just a thought, but have you tried searching the master indexes at Lincoln County Registry of Deeds? You would be quite surprised but I've found information of genealogical value just studying and reading the old deeds. Family members are often listed as heirs, family cemetery plots on properties are noted, etc.

        Any information would be very much appreciated.  It's been a long
        struggle to get any information on Waldoboro residents.

        Edward Kelley
        Los Altos, California

        -mark benner-

      • fenchel387
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
          Mark, thanks for your very definitive response.

          First and foremost, I was not denigrating the work of Whitaker &
          Horlacher. I was only pointing out that errors do occur in
          researching our ancestors and, after corresponding with them, they
          agreed.

          Having traveled 3,000 miles to research my relatives only to be told
          by you that the town personnel didn't have the time to assist me just
          blows my mind. I came in September and virtually everything was shut
          down by then, but, Town Hall should have given me more direction.

          I have reviewed all the LDS records and have not found any
          significant data that was not already presented in the BBP book.

          Are you saying that I may find more data at the County and State
          level? If so, are any of these data accessible online?

          Finally, if you know any Procks or Wagners in the vicinity, please
          ask them to contact me. I am not out to claim their estates. I only
          wish to find my German roots.

          Sincerely,

          Ed Kelley

> [...]
          > only. I believe that John Frederick joined the King's Rangers, a
          > loyalist unit, along with other Waldoboro youngsters and,
          ultimately,
          > ended up in Prince Edward Island (PEI) where they were given land
          > grants. Other Waldoboro names that turn up in PEI are Eichhorn
          > (Acorn), Dockendorf and others.
          >
          > Yes, and along with them a Sebastian Zuberbuler, a friend/business
          partner of Samuel Waldo.
          > Just a thought, but have you tried searching the master indexes at
          Lincoln County Registry of Deeds? You would be quite surprised but
          I've found information of genealogical value just studying and
          reading the old deeds. Family members are often listed as heirs,
          family cemetery plots on properties are noted, etc.

          > Any information would be very much appreciated. It's been a long
          > struggle to get any information on Waldoboro residents.

        • Richard D. Warner
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
            Edward,

            I suggest that you order a copy of  "Vital Records of Waldoboro" 2008 by Marlene Groves from Picton Press and a copy of  "Town of Waldoboro, 1714-1892" on CD.

            "Vital Records of Waldoboro," compiled by Marlene and painstakingly edited by Dianna Overlock Sewell, is the first and only transcription of Waldoboro vital records that can be relied upon for its accuracy.  However, I also suggest that you pick-up a copy of the CD so you can cite the original records as your source.

            "Broad Bay Pioneers" is rife with inaccuracies and should be avoided as a reliable source.   I have only recently begun to cite specific errors in "Broad Bay Pioneers" in my database, The Master Genealogist.  The following is one of over 30 erroneous citations to date:

            "A List of Certificates of Marriages in the Town of Waldoborough from March 1795 to April 1796...Antonia [sic] Hofses [sic] to Elizebeth [sic] Winchenbah [sic],..." by Augusts Reitz...A true extract from Revd August [sic] Reitz [Rev. Friedrich Augustus Rodolphus Benedictus "Augustus" Ritz, pastor, Lutheran Church, Waldoboro, ME.]

            Note: "1796, April [sic], Antonia Nosser [sic] to Elezebeth [sic] Winchenbak [sic], both of Waldoborough [sic].  By Agustus [sic] Reitz.  At Waldoborough," cited in the typescript, Waldoboro Marriages 1773-1834, p. 8, is an incorrect transcription of the original record [cf. Original Records of Maine Towns and Cities, Town of Waldoboro, 1714-1892, (CD-ROM, Rockport, ME: Picton Press, 2005), Town Records, Births, Deaths, and Marriages, 1735-1806, p. 314 of 785; and Births, Deaths, Marriages & Cemetery Records, 1714-1892, (typescript), p. 631 of 785].

            Marriage of the fictitious "Antonio Nosser" to an equally fictitious Elizabeth Winchenbach is cited in Whitaker and Horlacher's Broad Bay Pioneers (a generally unreliable work, in which few sources are cited), p. 445: "Elizabeth Winchenbach b abt 1777 Waldoboro.  She md April [sic] 1796 Antonio Nosser in Waldoboro."

            Note: marriage of the real Elizabeth Winchenbach to Anthony Hoffses appears on the facing page in Broad Bay Pioneers, p. 444: "Sarah Elizabeth Winchenbach b abt 1773 Broad Bay, d 23 May 1837 Jefferson, Lincoln, ME.  She md April 1796 Johann Anton (Anthony) Hoffses [s/o Mathias Hoffses & Margaretha Wuest]," although their marriage took place between April 1795 and April 1796, not specifically in April 1796.

            Best Wishes,

            fenchel387 wrote:

            I visited Waldoboro several years ago hoping to get information on
            Prachts (now Procks) and Wagners. Town hall personnel told me that
            the records were lost in a fire many years ago.

            My question is - were the town records deposited in the County or
            State archives anytime before the fire?

            I have a copy of Broad Bay Pioneers but have found that there are
            many errors and/or omissions, especially as they relate to the
            Prachts and Wagners.

            Over the years I have written to many of the Procks living in
            Waldoboro but none of them has ever responded. Is there anyone in
            town who can get them to write me?

            I am looking for information on John Frederick Pracht and Susanna
            Wagner. Both names appear in Broad Bay Pioneers for a brief time
            only. I believe that John Frederick joined the King's Rangers, a
            loyalist unit, along with Waldoboro youngsters and, ultimately,

            --

            Richard D. Warner
            249 Broadway

            (207) 594-5702
          • Edward Kelley
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
              Richard,

              If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I may have ordered this book several years ago thru Picton Press and, unfortunately, found very little on the Prachts and Wagners.  I ended up giving the book to a local LDS library.  Is the new book just an update or reprint of one Ms. Groves published years ago?

              Edward

              To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
                Edward,

                "Vital Records of Waldoboro, Maine" by Marlene Groves was published and made available last month (2008) by Picton Press.  It is not a reprint of an existing title.  The following is a link to Picton's web page that describes it.:  http://www.pictonpress.com/store/show/3350

                A description of "Original Records of Maine Towns and Cities, Town of Waldoboro, 1714-1892" on CD can be seen here: http://www.pictonpress.com/store/show/1465

                I highly recommend both Marlene's hardcover book, and the CD.  The CD consists of scans in Adobe Acrobat (pdf) format of the microfilm (Roll 605) of Waldoboro's vital records on file at Maine Archives.

                It should be noted that Marlene's book contains some information not included in the microfilm (and CD), such as: Waldoboro VR Volumes 4 and 6, some additional vital records, transcriptions of some family bibles, and records of Waldoboro's Congregational, Methodist-Episcopal, and 1st Baptist churches.

                With so much misinformation contained in previous transcriptions of Waldoboro's records and "Broad Bay Pioneers," both Marlene's book and the CD are welcomed additions to the libraries of those of us researching Waldoboro families.

                Richard

                To: BroadBayMEGen@ yahoogroups. com
                From: warner@midcoast. com
                Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:46:39 -0500

              • Sarahlou28@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
                  To the group:

                  I am interested in this new compilation of Waldoboro vital records, but I'm afraid I have become quite confused by the back-and-forth replies so far which include previous messages.  I am starting a fresh email here -- hope it works.  When I clicked on the "Reply to" line in one of the previous messages I got some kind of member profile with no obvious way to send an email.

                  A few years ago I went to the Waldoboro town hall and was given access to what I was told were the only vital records still left after a fire some time before.  There were several large books, as I recall, and most of the records seemed to be marriages.  There was also a list of grave records apparently put together by volunteers who went to the cemeteries and copied out information.  My assumption was that this was done after the death records were lost, in an attempt to fill in some blanks.

                  I later sent for the LDS microfilm of Waldoboro records at my local LDS library.  This turned out to have no additional information.  It seemed like the exact same pages, but some could possibly have been missing -- I was looking for anything new.

                  Would anybody be able to tell me if I would get any additional information by ordering the book or CD?  I guess you would if the family Bibles in question happened to belong to your family, or if they went to one of the mentioned churches.  But as Germans, wouldn't they have attended the now-closed German church?  Does anybody know what the dates are on the church information provided?

                  The fact that this book is completely indexed would be a major improvement in itself.

                  Any advice here would be very welcome.

                  Sarah Tiberi
                  Medfield, Mass.

                  (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548)