RE: [BroadBayMEGen] Black town

  • Patty Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4 5:57 PM
      lol.. sorry mark, I hadn't read Erica's email yet when I asked you where the road is!

      Patty Johnson

      Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

      To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com
      From: erifica@...
      Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:10:41 -0500
      Subject: Re: [BroadBayMEGen] Black town

      Goshen Cemetery is on Goshen Road, which is located off from Rt. 1.

      Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Goshen+Rd,+Waldoboro,+ME+04572,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

      There's an egg farm on the right. I believe that you drive past the egg farm a little ways. Keep going and on the left hand side of the road is the cemetery. When I was a kid we drove by it on the school bus every day. I used to be scared of that cemetery.

      Where is the Goshen cemetary? you said east waldoboro. Is that near manktown rd? Is it easy to access?

      Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:47:06 -0500

      Geez! THAT was a TRICK question! My error, you're correct. Back when the Schwartz name was anglicized to Black, there was a Waldoboro district called Black Town. This referred to the Schwartz/Black families that lived on the Miller Road near the present day high school. This had nothing to do with the negro families who also lived in town. Town tax collectors dreaded visiting the residents here because these Schwarts' didn't wish to part with their hard earned money.
      What is called the present day Miller road, used to loop around and come out and connect with the highway near Aunt Lydia's tavern. But, keep in mind that there was no U.S. Route One then but the road that came out of the Goshen district which eventually lead to Cole Hill and then downtown Waldoboro on the other side of the hill.
      There is little or nothing left of the old road today, especially where it came out near Aunt Lydia's. Thick woods exist there today and I've heard reports of old, small cellar holes here and there. There were large fields and pastureland at the time but only a few of these exist today with the farmhouses that currently maintain them. Most of all the Schwartz' from that Black Town area are buried in Goshen Cemetery, also in East Waldoboro.
      -mark benner-

      So, is Black town named after the group of negros living there or is it after the Schwartz/Blacks that lived there? My grandmother (Myrtle Black, Melvin's daughter) lived on that road until a fire destroyed their home and they moved to St. George when she was around 5 (early 1910s). I had heard from relatives that there maybe some foundations left. I took a ride down that road this weekend and wasnt sure how far. I saw old rock walls a bit down and it was grown in.

      Patty Johnson

      Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

    • Benner
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4 6:25 PM

        Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:57 PM

        mark, I have you seen any Schwartz/Blacks buried here. also, I don't know waldoboro well, where is Goshen rd?
        In downtown Waldoboro village

        Patty Johnson

        ===================================

        In downtown Waldoboro village, main street, head UP the hill. The road veers to the left and will come out onto U.S. Route One by Moody's Diner; Don't veer to that left! Instead, you should stay to the right and head further UP the hill to where Moody's Cabins is located. Keep going, you'll crest that hill, come down the other side, cross the railroad tracks, and ultimately go a couple of miles away from the village. Eventually, this will again wind up intersecting on U.S. Route One. But before you get that far, you will easily see that a tarred road, (Goshen Road), will be on your right. This will be the ONLY road that intersects on this road on your right. Turn onto this Goshen Road and you can NOT miss this cemetery on the left.
        Standing in the road, and facing the cemetery, are three sections. There are Schwartz buried here, in the middle section. However, even though there are over 363 gravestones here, there are many fieldstones and missing stones; meaning unmarked graves,

        including:

        Jacob Schwartz (subscriber, as per deed)

        (wife) Rebecca (Kaler) Schwartz

        Would this be your line? (I don't know why I sent you Waltz stuff previously.)

        -mark benner-   benner3@...
      • Patty Johnson
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4 6:33 PM
          Thanks Mark! I was reading the directions over the phone and she new the road, but had never gone down it so she couldn't figure out where the cemetary was either. Does Waldoboro have a cemetary association  to find where the unmarked graves are or would the town office have the records?

          To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com
          From: benner3@...

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 4 9:30 PM

            Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 9:33 PM

            Thanks Mark! I was reading the directions over the phone and she new the road, but had never gone down it so she couldn't figure out where the cemetary was either.
            Does Waldoboro have a cemetary association to find where the unmarked graves are or would the town office have the records?

            Patty Johnson

            Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

            A few of the active Waldoboro cemeteries have a loose knit organization/association to keep track of burials, maintenance, fees, dues, etc. The German cemetery, Benner-Comery, Rural, Shuman, Sweetland, and Dutch Neck, (just to mention a few), are probably the best maintained/organized.  Others may have records of varying degrees of completness, (or not), but good luck trying to view or research any of these as they're not replaceable and pretty closely guarded!
            In the Waldoboro museum there is a large map that pinpoints many of the well known cemeteries; this map is also included within the book, Broad Bay Pioneers, by Horlacher and Whitaker/ Picton Press. I have about eighty cemeteries, family lots, and burial plots listed in my own extensive research and I have them mapped, and censused to year 2006. Give me a name and I have all the resources right here to tell you exactly where they're buried. My works, Waldoboro Cemeteries, have not yet been published.
            One other thing, and it's kind of disturbing, is the number of modern day burials that the state and town is allowing, is the practice of people allowed to be buried in their own backyards, often just a single burial and not in an established cemetery! I don't know of anyone in the town office who is keeping track of these in Waldoboro but I have six or eight listed in my research.
            Outside of all this, there are all the old, outdated M.O.C.A. books at the state library in Augusta. These are way outdated and are pretty fragmented. Some of these cemeteries were censused in the 1850/60's and had never been done since!
            -mark benner-   benner3@...