RE: [BroadBayMEGen] Black town

  • Patty Johnson
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
      So, is Black town named after the group of negros living there or is it after the Schwartz/Blacks that lived there? My grandmother (Myrtle Black, Melvin's daughter) lived on that road until a fire destroyed their home and they moved to St. George when she was around 5 (early 1910s). I had heard from relatives that there maybe some foundations left. I took a ride down that road this weekend and wasnt sure how far. I saw old rock walls a bit down and it was grown in.

      Patty Johnson

      Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

      > To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com
      > From: benner3@...
      > Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 02:03:40 -0500
      > Subject: Re: [BroadBayMEGen] Black town

    • Benner
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008

        Geez! THAT was a TRICK question! My error, you're correct. Back when the Schwartz name was anglicized to Black, there was a Waldoboro district called Black Town. This referred to the Schwartz/Black families that lived on the Miller Road near the present day high school. This had nothing to do with the negro families who also lived in town. Town tax collectors dreaded visiting the residents here because these Schwarts' didn't wish to part with their hard earned money.
        What is called the present day Miller road, used to loop around and come out and connect with the highway near Aunt Lydia's tavern. But, keep in mind that there was no U.S. Route One then but the road that came out of the Goshen district which eventually lead to Cole Hill and then downtown Waldoboro on the other side of the hill.
        There is little or nothing left of the old road today, especially where it came out near Aunt Lydia's. Thick woods exist there today and I've heard reports of old, small cellar holes here and there. There were large fields and pastureland at the time but only a few of these exist today with the farmhouses that currently maintain them. Most of all the Schwartz' from that Black Town area are buried in Goshen Cemetery, also in East Waldoboro.
        -mark benner-

        So, is Black town named after the group of negros living there or is it after the Schwartz/Blacks that lived there? My grandmother (Myrtle Black, Melvin's daughter) lived on that road until a fire destroyed their home and they moved to St. George when she was around 5 (early 1910s). I had heard from relatives that there maybe some foundations left. I took a ride down that road this weekend and wasnt sure how far. I saw old rock walls a bit down and it was grown in.

        Patty Johnson

        Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

      • Erica Jacobs
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
          Hi Patty,

          Black Town is located off from Miller Road. Here is how you get to where the road was, I can't give milage only houses in the area. Continue on Miller road, on the right hand side of the road is a large white farm house that belonged to Annie Mank, on the right hand side is the farm itself, continue past the steep hill. On the right hand side of the road a trailer is visible as well as an a-frame that belonged to Fred Ames. On the left hand side of the road is a trailer that used to be hidden by trees, though it may be visible now. Before the road curves sharply on the left hand side of the road is where the road was located. It used to be easily visible when I was growing up from people riding atvs and such. My father was friends with the owner and we walked down the "road" into the woods.  I believe that the owner of the land the road is lcoated on is named Joy. I don't know her last name. There was some foundation holes but not much else back in the early 90s. I'm not sure how overgrown it is now. I believe that Melvin/Melville and Thomas lived there at some point.

          Erica

          Does anyone know exactly where on Miller Rd (off of Manktown Rd)in

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
              Where is the Goshen cemetary? you said east waldoboro. Is that near manktown rd? Is it easy to access?

              To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
                Thanks you guys for the info on Black town. I drove down , went through a marshy area and came to what was going to look like a dead end before a bend, so I turned around. I did go by a house on my right with a barn on the left, must be what you are talking about Erica. I would love to go look around, even if nothing is much to find. I will have to look into the cemetary as well. My mom has no idea where Melvin's family is buried. He and his wife are buried down home in St. George.

                To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008

                  Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 7:40 PM

                  Where is the Goshen cemetary? you said east waldoboro. Is that near manktown rd? Is it easy to access?

                  Patty Johnson

                  Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

                  Goshen Cemetery

                  This very old cemetery is located in East Waldoboro on the left side of Goshen Road 1.2 miles from Route One. Most of the gravestones here are of white marble; some are disintegrating, some have been reset, some repaired.

                  Set next to the road, it is open in the front and bordered on the back and two sides by stone walls. The cemetery is relatively level, grassy, and well maintained. Flat and rolling pastureland surrounds this area. The cemetery is nearly a perfect square, measuring about 170 feet by 170 feet.

                  Because of the wide open surroundings many of the stones inscriptions are extremely difficult to read due to years of windy sand and snow blasting weather.

                  This cemetery was established, as recorded in Lincoln County of Deeds, Book 155, page 324, on December 11,1830 as presented by Ralph Cole and Francis Overlock to George Kaler and Payne Elwell.

                  -mark benner    benner3@...
                • Benner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008

                    Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 7:46 PM

                    Thanks you guys for the info on Black town. I drove down , went through a marshy area and came to what was going to look like a dead end before a bend, so I turned around. I did go by a house on my right with a barn on the left, must be what you are talking about Erica. I would love to go look around, even if nothing is much to find. I will have to look into the cemetary as well. My mom has no idea where Melvin's family is buried. He and his wife are buried down home in St. George.

                    Patty Johnson

                    These are the oldest carved stones of Waltz' in the Goshen cemetery;

                    67. Mary (Hilt) (Woltz) d.Nov.30,1856 @84y2m (wife of Matthias Woltz)

                    68. Matthias Woltz d.March 8,1837 @71y

                    Many of the gravestones here are of white marble. Because of the wide-openess of the fields, sand, rain, sleet, and snow have weatherworn much of the inscriptions on many of these stones. It is believed that the worst worn stones are thought to be "Thomaston marble", which is not marble at all!

                    It's most likely limestone, which was inexpensive and much easier to carve.

                    -mark benner- benner3@...

                  • Erica Jacobs
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
                      Goshen Cemetery is on Goshen Road, which is located off from Rt. 1.

                      Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Goshen+Rd,+Waldoboro,+ME+04572,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

                      There's an egg farm on the right. I believe that you drive past the egg farm a little ways. Keep going and on the left hand side of the road is the cemetery. When I was a kid we drove by it on the school bus every day. I used to be scared of that cemetery.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008

                        mark, I have you seen any Schwartz/Blacks buried here. also, I don't know waldoboro well, where is Goshen rd?

                        To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com
                        From: benner3@...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
                          lol.. sorry mark, I hadn't read Erica's email yet when I asked you where the road is!

                          To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008

                            Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:57 PM

                            mark, I have you seen any Schwartz/Blacks buried here. also, I don't know waldoboro well, where is Goshen rd?
                            In downtown Waldoboro village

                            Patty Johnson

                            ===================================

                            In downtown Waldoboro village, main street, head UP the hill. The road veers to the left and will come out onto U.S. Route One by Moody's Diner; Don't veer to that left! Instead, you should stay to the right and head further UP the hill to where Moody's Cabins is located. Keep going, you'll crest that hill, come down the other side, cross the railroad tracks, and ultimately go a couple of miles away from the village. Eventually, this will again wind up intersecting on U.S. Route One. But before you get that far, you will easily see that a tarred road, (Goshen Road), will be on your right. This will be the ONLY road that intersects on this road on your right. Turn onto this Goshen Road and you can NOT miss this cemetery on the left.
                            Standing in the road, and facing the cemetery, are three sections. There are Schwartz buried here, in the middle section. However, even though there are over 363 gravestones here, there are many fieldstones and missing stones; meaning unmarked graves,

                            including:

                            Jacob Schwartz (subscriber, as per deed)

                            (wife) Rebecca (Kaler) Schwartz

                            Would this be your line? (I don't know why I sent you Waltz stuff previously.)

                            -mark benner-   benner3@...
                          • Patty Johnson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Thanks Mark! I was reading the directions over the phone and she new the road, but had never gone down it so she couldn't figure out where the cemetary was either. Does Waldoboro have a cemetary association  to find where the unmarked graves are or would the town office have the records?

                              To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com
                              From: benner3@...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 4, 2008

                                Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 9:33 PM

                                Thanks Mark! I was reading the directions over the phone and she new the road, but had never gone down it so she couldn't figure out where the cemetary was either.
                                Does Waldoboro have a cemetary association to find where the unmarked graves are or would the town office have the records?

                                Patty Johnson

                                Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

                                A few of the active Waldoboro cemeteries have a loose knit organization/association to keep track of burials, maintenance, fees, dues, etc. The German cemetery, Benner-Comery, Rural, Shuman, Sweetland, and Dutch Neck, (just to mention a few), are probably the best maintained/organized.  Others may have records of varying degrees of completness, (or not), but good luck trying to view or research any of these as they're not replaceable and pretty closely guarded!
                                In the Waldoboro museum there is a large map that pinpoints many of the well known cemeteries; this map is also included within the book, Broad Bay Pioneers, by Horlacher and Whitaker/ Picton Press. I have about eighty cemeteries, family lots, and burial plots listed in my own extensive research and I have them mapped, and censused to year 2006. Give me a name and I have all the resources right here to tell you exactly where they're buried. My works, Waldoboro Cemeteries, have not yet been published.
                                One other thing, and it's kind of disturbing, is the number of modern day burials that the state and town is allowing, is the practice of people allowed to be buried in their own backyards, often just a single burial and not in an established cemetery! I don't know of anyone in the town office who is keeping track of these in Waldoboro but I have six or eight listed in my research.
                                Outside of all this, there are all the old, outdated M.O.C.A. books at the state library in Augusta. These are way outdated and are pretty fragmented. Some of these cemeteries were censused in the 1850/60's and had never been done since!
                                -mark benner-   benner3@...