Re: Lutheran church/Moravian mission

  • benner55
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
      --- In BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Martin-Chown"
      j.martinchown@...> wrote:
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jeanne maineancestry" <jeanne@...>
      To: "BroadBayMEGen" <BroadBayMEGen@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 8:59 PM
      Subject: Lutheran church/Moravian mission
      Hello, all! I have been in touch with descendants of Seiders from
      Lincoln
      county who have gone to other parts of the country. Could anyone
      help me
      help them by supplying the exact location of the old Moravian
      mission and
      the old Lutheran church that was on the site next to it? Years
      ago I was
      with a group who went into the woods (now on private land) and saw
      the only
      remaining gravestones (Conrad and Elizabeth Seiders) from the
      cemetery that
      existed prior to the relocation of the church. Was that route
      220?? I
      would like to be of more help to these people, and it would be
      good for my
      own records, too, than to only be able to say "somewhere in the
      woods in
      Waldoboro"! Any help very much appreciated! Thanks! - Jeanne

      I think your geography is a little mixed up?
      The Moravian Mission and the first location of the Lutheran church
      locations are on the EAST side of the Medomak River, which is on
      Route 220 South. This Lutheran church was shortly later
      dissassembled and moved upstream and across the Medomak River to its
      present location, off Route 32 South. All that remain at these two
      old, original sites are the remnants of a handfull of shattered
      gravestones; Those of a Godfried Feyler and the young girl,
      Katharina Storer. There is no trace of any Moravian Mission, which
      was on the next lot over today, next to the river.
      Now, this Seider's Cemetery you talk about, is on the WEST side of
      the Medomak River, on the Dutch Neck Road, off Route 32 South. Deed
      research tells me that Conrad and Elizabeth were buried on their OWN
      property. This property was NOT the location of any church. However,
      Meeting House Cove was the location of an old church in the mid
      1700's, yes, but that was on the next lot EAST from Conrad Seider's.
      The exact location of this church and the old burying ground is
      unknown, even today. One old gravestone reportedly retrieve from
      here was taken to the present day German Church and has been on
      display ever since.
      I hope this makes things a little more clearer?
      I have been to all four of these locations as late as one month ago.
      Feb.4,2007
      -mark benner-
      benner3@...
    • benner55
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
        --- In BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Martin-Chown"
        j.martinchown@...> wrote:
        These two graves are located where the original Church/meeting
        house was. The land is currently owned by Sherman Smith. We have
        relatives that have visited the gravesites. They were looking for
        the Seiders' plot when they took a wrong turn and stopped at Smith's
        home for directions and told him what they were looking for. He said
        if you are looking for Seiders I have two here on my land. Seems
        originally the church/meeting house was located there but when the
        pond froze over they moved it across the ice to the other side.
        These graves were left behind." (from Jackie Finch in Texas )

        There has always been a bit of confusion over Conrad and Cornelius.
        Can anyone confirm/ be more specific on the grave sites? Hmm, wish
        I had GPS!
        Thanks so much! - Jeanne
        Jeanne,
        Your G.P.S. co-ordinates are:

        Cornelius Seiders Family Cemetery
        44-03.807N x 69-23.760W (155FT above sea level)

        About 50 feet BEFORE the intersection of Dutch Neck Road and Gross
        Neck Road, there is a telephone pole on the left, (this is with
        Route 32 is at your back). These graves are about 60 feet directly
        behind that telephone pole and should be quite visible from this
        road, (if you knew it was there to begin with). These graves are
        surrounded by a low stone wall, terrible condition. But this was NOT
        part of the Meeting House Cove Cemetery, which was east of here on
        the next lot over.......
        Hope this helps?
        -mark benner-
        benner3@...
      • benner55
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
          In BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Martin-Chown" wrote:

          These two graves are located where the original Church/meeting
          house was. The land is currently owned by Sherman Smith. We have
          relatives that have visited the gravesites. They were looking for
          the Seiders' plot when they took a wrong turn and stopped at Smith's
          home for directions and told him what they were looking for. He said
          if you are looking for Seiders I have two here on my land.
          """Seems originally the church/meeting house was located there but
          when the pond froze over they moved it across the ice to the other
          side. These graves were left behind.""" (from Jackie Finch in
          Texas )

          The statement, above, in quotation marks, is INCORRECT. (I couldn't
          contact Jackie Finch.) Cornelius and Elizabeth Seiders were buried
          in their small family cemetery on their own property, just off the
          Dutch Neck Road in WEST Waldoboro, off Route 32 South. Yes, this
          was, at one time, owned by Sherman Smith but has recently been put
          up for sale. These two graves were not part of the original burying
          ground belonging to the old Lutheran Church at Meeting House Cove.
          The old German Lutheran Church which was at Meeting House Cove on
          the next lot, (northerly), over from Cornelius and Elizabeth Seiders
          was eventually disbanded. The property was sold off by the Lutheran
          Church Society in 1810. This church was NEVER moved anywhere. None
          of those graves had ever been dug up or moved.
          The church you refer to that WAS moved was on the EAST side, up the
          river and on Route 220 South, and it was moved across the RIVER,
          (not pond!), and uphill to its present location on the WEST side and
          is well known today as the old German Protestant Church. And there,
          on the original EAST side location, that some of the graves were
          removed and taken to the new location across the river and up the
          hill to be buried at the German Cemetery. Some graves were purposely
          left behind, probably by request of surviving family.
          Hope this clears things up?
          -mark benner-
          benner3@...
          or