Johannes Dietrich Birckenbeul

  • birckenbeuhl
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 15, 2003
      Hello;

      I am researching my family lineage in it's entirety. I just
      recently learned of a Johannes Dietrich Birkenbeul who immigrated
      with his wife to the Broad Bay area. I believe in 1751. I am a
      descendent of Johannes "Andreas" Birckenbeul Dietrich's brother.
      Andreas had four brothers which immigrated. The other three
      brothers of Andreas and Deitrich are as follows:

      Johannes Christian Birkingbey on the ship "Two Brothers" on 9/14/1749
      Johannes Gerhart Birkenbeyly on the ship "Anderson" on 8/21/1750
      Johan Jacob Birki on the ship "Betsey" on 9/19/1765

      Most of the genelaogical work by many Berkebile / Purkeypile
      researchers have centered on the immigration through the
      Philadelphia Port. Most of these brothers lived in PA MD VA then
      Ohio and points west with time.

      Having learned of Deitrich's arrival and this Broad Bay group. I
      was hoping to learn as much as I can about the Broad Bay and
      descendants that are known or any information for potential leads.
      Having been born and raised in Pennsylvania, it is common and is
      taught that most people of German descent originated in PA. The
      Broad Bay colony is obviously new learning.

      If any one has information they can either post here or email me
      directly

      raymond.berkebile@...

      Ray Berkebile
    • Paula Harvard
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
        Hi Ray,
        Stopped at the Lincoln Co. Courthouse this afternoon to see if perhaps I
        could turn up a deed or will for your Birkenbeul.
        Checked Registry of Deeds A-Z Indexes for 1761-1784, 1784-1794, and
        1784-1802...using all the regular and inventive spelling I could conjure up
        with no result. The same proved true in Probate. If they were in Broad Bay,
        they may not have stayed long....or....perhaps they changed their name
        significantly. I did find Burke, Burkett, and Burkart.
        You might query someone to search the York Co.Courthouse for you, as those
        records are a bit earlier than Lincoln Co.
        Best,
        Paula McLain Harvard
        Woolwich, Maine

        Researching McLains of all spellings
      • Raymond Berkebile
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
          Paula:
          Thanks for the try. Like I said in my original posting, I just learned
          of Johann Dietrich Birkenbeuel, 33. Apparently he is cited in the book
          "Broad Bay Pioneers" arriving in the Broad Bay area in 1752 on the ship
          the 'St Andrew' with his wife Elisabetha Catharina (Pfenning), 29, his
          son Johann Heinrich, 4 (died at sea?)and his daughter Maria Margaretha,
          1.

          His four brothers arrived in the Philadelphia port at various times.
          Johannes Andreas Birkenbeil, Johannes Christen Birkingbey, Johannes
          Gerhart Birkengbeyly, and Johann Jacob Birki. The latter three dates
          and ships of immigration are well documented. Andreas' port and time of
          immigration is still being researched. He is documented in the Maryland
          Area and his descendants (ME) migrated to PA, MD VA, WVA OH and points
          beyond. The others have similar migration patterns.

          During the time since immigration the surname has mutated even within
          the same generation. Descendants include people of Berkebile,
          Birkenbeul, Birckebeul, Bergebeil, Berkbill, Perkipile, Perkipeal,
          Purkipile, Purkibile, Berkeybile, Purkey, Pirkey, Perkey, Berkinbine,
          etc...

          I have not seen any reference to Dietrich in the PA or MD records yet.
          This is why he either stayed in Broad Bay or migrated to another
          location.

          With his citing in this book I tried to acquire it or located in the
          local library through interlibrary loan. I searched the entire state of
          PA. Sadly this state has not purchased a copy as of yet. I priced it
          through Picton Press(?) it is $69. I was hoping someone could look in
          it in Maine of Massachuttes where I am sure many copies exist. Please
          let me know if there is any valuable information pertaining to the
          Birkenbeul family. I hate to shell out $69 for the same information I
          already have found on the net.

          Once again thanks;
          Ray Berkebile

          raymond.berkebile@...

          Stopped at the Lincoln Co. Courthouse this afternoon to see if perhaps I
          could turn up a deed or will for your Birkenbeul.
          Checked Registry of Deeds A-Z Indexes for 1761-1784, 1784-1794, and
          1784-1802...using all the regular and inventive spelling I could conjure
          up
          with no result. The same proved true in Probate. If they were in Broad
          Bay,
          they may not have stayed long....or....perhaps they changed their name
          significantly. I did find Burke, Burkett, and Burkart.
          You might query someone to search the York Co.Courthouse for you, as
          those
          records are a bit earlier than Lincoln Co.
          Best,
          Paula McLain Harvard
          Woolwich, Maine

          Researching McLains of all spellings

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Prentice Alexander
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
            Your man is listed in Broad Bay Pioneers and I have a copy of the book. If
            you will tell me what you are looking for and give me a little time I will
            do what I can for you.
            Regards,
            Prentice Alexander

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
              Prentice:

              Thanks for the quick response. In the text of my message I have all the
              information that I know pertaining to Deitrich. What I would like to
              know - Is there any additional information included in the book which
              pertains to him and his stay. If it is just the same citing, then all I
              would need is the page number for a reference. But if it includes
              significant information then I will probably purchase the book. Take
              your time. I am exploring many leads on my lineage. I am trying to
              piece the entire Birkenbeuhl lineage together which dates back to 1595.
              I am trying to trace the five bothers and their descendants. I
              appreciate any help you can render.

              Ray