Emigration to Prince Edward Island (PEI), Canada

  • fenchel2a
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2002
      It's time to update my queries. Several surnames such as Achorn,
      Creamer, Dockendorf, etc. appear in the PEI genealogy records. My
      ggg grandfather, (John) Frederick Praught (Pracht, Procht, Prock) and
      his wife, Susanna Wagner, settled in PEI after the American
      Revolution. He was a member of the King's Rangers, a loyalist unit
      formed in New Jersey but garrisoned at Fort St. George on the
      Penobscot River in Maine prior to going to Halifax, NS and then on to
      PEI.

      It's been proven that John Achorn, also a member of the King's
      Rangers, came from Waldoboro (Broad Bay). I suspect that (John)
      Frederick Praught (Pracht, Procht, Prock) joined with him but,
      unfortunately, I have no proof.

      In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" there were marriages between the
      Achorns, Creamers, Prachts (Prochts,Procks) and Wagners.

      Does anyone connected to these families have information on why there
      were emigrations to PEI by these and other families? I am looking
      for a clue that my Fred and Susanna did, in fact, come from Broad Bay.
    • fenchel387
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 12:18 PM
        A number of Waldoboro surnames appear in PEI genealogy records. Names
        such as Achorn, Creamer, Dockendorf, Praught (Pracht, Prock), Stilke
        and Wagner are common to both Waldoboro and PEI.

        My ggg grandfather, John Frederick Praught and his wife, Susanna
        Wagner, settled in PEI after the American Revolution. He was a member
        of the King's Rangers, a loyalist unit formed in New Jersey but
        garrisoned at Fort St. George on the Penobscot River prior to going to
        Halifax, NS and then on to PEI where they were eventually mustered out.

        It's been proven that John Achorn, also a member of the King's
        Rangers, came from Waldoboro. I suspect that John Frederick Praught
        (Pracht, Prock) was a boyhood friend and joined the Rangers as well
        but, unfortunately, I have no proof.

        In the book "Broad Bay Pioneers" there were marriages between the
        Achorns, Creamers, Prachts, Wagners and Stilkes. Does anyone with
        connections to these families have information that would help me
        prove that Fred and Susanna did, in fact, come from Broad Bay?