Lutheran church/Moravian mission

  • Jeanne Martin-Chown
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2002
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Jeanne maineancestry" <jeanne@...>
      To: "BroadBayMEGen" <BroadBayMEGen@egroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 8:59 PM
      Subject: Lutheran church/Moravian mission

      Hello, all! I have been in touch with descendants of Seiders from Lincoln
      county who have gone to other parts of the country. Could anyone help me
      help them by supplying the exact location of the old Moravian mission and
      the old Lutheran church that was on the site next to it? Years ago I was
      with a group who went into the woods (now on private land) and saw the only
      remaining gravestones (Conrad and Elizabeth Seiders) from the cemetery that
      existed prior to the relocation of the church. Was that route 220?? I
      would like to be of more help to these people, and it would be good for my
      own records, too, than to only be able to say "somewhere in the woods in
      Waldoboro"! Any help very much appreciated! Thanks! - Jeanne

      Visit my website www.maineancestry.com
    • eldriverd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2002
        I am going to be in Waldoboro on Sat for  a MOCA meeting.

        Send info known and I will see what I can find, time permitting.

        Doreen Crocker
      • Jeanne Martin-Chown
        Message 3 of 8 , May 17, 2002
          Thanks so much for your offer of help, Doreen.  I certainly appreciate it.  Below is an excerpt from an email I received recently:

          "Jeanne, I also have more info on gravestones of Cornelius and Elizabeth - they are separate from rest of Seiders
          Gravestones - Near Dutchneck/Gross Neck intersection Waldoboro, ME of Cornelius and Elizabeth Leissner
          In memory of Mr. Cornelius Seiders
          who departed this life
          Sept. 12, 1814
          Aged 75 years
          In memory of Mrs. Elizabeth Seiders
          wife of
          Mr. Cornelius Seiders
          who departed this life
          Feb. 12, 1803
          Aged 58 years.
          These two graves are located where the original Church/meeting house was. The land is currently owned by Sherman Smith. We have relatives that have visited the gravesites. They were looking for the Seiders' plot when they took a wrong turn and stopped at Smith's home for directions and told him what they were looking for. He said if you are looking for Seiders I have two here on my land. Seems originally the church/meeting house was located there but when the pond froze over they moved it across the ice to the other side. These graves were left behind."  (from  Jackie Finch in Texas )

          Sorry for the blue print!
          There has always been a bit of confusion over Conrad and Cornelius.
          Can anyone confirm/ be more specific on the grave sites?  Hmm, wish I had GPS!
          Thanks so much!  - Jeanne

          Visit my website www.maineancestry.com

          Message 4 of 8 , May 22, 2002
            I have been busy all week so far and couldn't remember if I had written or not.

            I couldn't do anything on Sat at Waldoboro as it rained all day.

            I did get some general directions for where the grave is.

            I will get there as soon as I can.

            Doreen Crocker
          • Jeanne Martin-Chown
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2002
              Thanks, Doreen.  No hurry.  I appreciate your interest and help!   - Jeanne
              Visit my website www.maineancestry.com
              Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 12:19 AM

            • benner55
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                --- In BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Martin-Chown"
[...]

                I think your geography is a little mixed up?
                The Moravian Mission and the first location of the Lutheran church
                locations are on the EAST side of the Medomak River, which is on
                Route 220 South. This Lutheran church was shortly later
                dissassembled and moved upstream and across the Medomak River to its
                present location, off Route 32 South. All that remain at these two
                old, original sites are the remnants of a handfull of shattered
                gravestones; Those of a Godfried Feyler and the young girl,
                Katharina Storer. There is no trace of any Moravian Mission, which
                was on the next lot over today, next to the river.
                Now, this Seider's Cemetery you talk about, is on the WEST side of
                the Medomak River, on the Dutch Neck Road, off Route 32 South. Deed
                research tells me that Conrad and Elizabeth were buried on their OWN
                property. This property was NOT the location of any church. However,
                Meeting House Cove was the location of an old church in the mid
                1700's, yes, but that was on the next lot EAST from Conrad Seider's.
                The exact location of this church and the old burying ground is
                unknown, even today. One old gravestone reportedly retrieve from
                here was taken to the present day German Church and has been on
                display ever since.
                I hope this makes things a little more clearer?
                I have been to all four of these locations as late as one month ago.
                Feb.4,2007
                -mark benner-
                benner3@...
              • benner55
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                  j.martinchown@...> wrote:
                  These two graves are located where the original Church/meeting
                  house was. The land is currently owned by Sherman Smith. We have
                  relatives that have visited the gravesites. They were looking for
                  the Seiders' plot when they took a wrong turn and stopped at Smith's
                  home for directions and told him what they were looking for. He said
                  if you are looking for Seiders I have two here on my land. Seems
                  originally the church/meeting house was located there but when the
                  pond froze over they moved it across the ice to the other side.
                  These graves were left behind." (from Jackie Finch in Texas )

                  There has always been a bit of confusion over Conrad and Cornelius.
                  Can anyone confirm/ be more specific on the grave sites? Hmm, wish
                  I had GPS!
                  Thanks so much! - Jeanne
                  Jeanne,
                  Your G.P.S. co-ordinates are:

                  Cornelius Seiders Family Cemetery
                  44-03.807N x 69-23.760W (155FT above sea level)

                  About 50 feet BEFORE the intersection of Dutch Neck Road and Gross
                  Neck Road, there is a telephone pole on the left, (this is with
                  Route 32 is at your back). These graves are about 60 feet directly
                  behind that telephone pole and should be quite visible from this
                  road, (if you knew it was there to begin with). These graves are
                  surrounded by a low stone wall, terrible condition. But this was NOT
                  part of the Meeting House Cove Cemetery, which was east of here on
                  the next lot over.......
                  Hope this helps?
                  -mark benner-
                  benner3@...
                • benner55
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 4, 2007
                    In BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com, "Jeanne Martin-Chown" wrote:

                    These two graves are located where the original Church/meeting
                    house was. The land is currently owned by Sherman Smith. We have
                    relatives that have visited the gravesites. They were looking for
                    the Seiders' plot when they took a wrong turn and stopped at Smith's
                    home for directions and told him what they were looking for. He said
                    if you are looking for Seiders I have two here on my land.
                    """Seems originally the church/meeting house was located there but
                    when the pond froze over they moved it across the ice to the other
                    side. These graves were left behind.""" (from Jackie Finch in
                    Texas )

                    The statement, above, in quotation marks, is INCORRECT. (I couldn't
                    contact Jackie Finch.) Cornelius and Elizabeth Seiders were buried
                    in their small family cemetery on their own property, just off the
                    Dutch Neck Road in WEST Waldoboro, off Route 32 South. Yes, this
                    was, at one time, owned by Sherman Smith but has recently been put
                    up for sale. These two graves were not part of the original burying
                    ground belonging to the old Lutheran Church at Meeting House Cove.
                    The old German Lutheran Church which was at Meeting House Cove on
                    the next lot, (northerly), over from Cornelius and Elizabeth Seiders
                    was eventually disbanded. The property was sold off by the Lutheran
                    Church Society in 1810. This church was NEVER moved anywhere. None
                    of those graves had ever been dug up or moved.
                    The church you refer to that WAS moved was on the EAST side, up the
                    river and on Route 220 South, and it was moved across the RIVER,
                    (not pond!), and uphill to its present location on the WEST side and
                    is well known today as the old German Protestant Church. And there,
                    on the original EAST side location, that some of the graves were
                    removed and taken to the new location across the river and up the
                    hill to be buried at the German Cemetery. Some graves were purposely
                    left behind, probably by request of surviving family.
                    Hope this clears things up?
                    -mark benner-
                    benner3@...
                    or