Greetings from Nova Scotia

  • Malcolm Uhlman
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      According to "Broad Bay Pioneers", my UHLMANN family came to Broad Bay in 1742 aboard the Lydia. I pick up their story in 1749/50 at Halifax, Nova Scotia.

      An article in the last Newsletter from a letter by John Starman states ".....the settlement in May, 1746, reduced their habitations to ashes.......The settlement lay waste till 1748...."

      Samuel Miller, in his book, "Waldoboro, Maine" states that "Those who escaped, fled to St. George or Pemaquid".

      Questions:

      (1) Would I be more successful if I investigated St. George and Pemaquid, rather than Waldoboro?

      (2) Are most of the Broad Bay genealogies being done of the post 1751 era? Is there anyone doing work on the "first" settlement?

      I'd love to hear from anyone with an opinion on my quest. Thanks for listening. My sympathies are with you all after the tragedy on Sept. 11. I hope the healing has begun. Our thoughts are with you always.

      Malcolm Uhlman,
      Kingston, N.S.
    • eldriverd@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2001
        Check picton Press, for books on Waldoboro.
        They are online
        I got new catalog today and there are a couple there.

        Doreen
      • John M. Falla
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2001
          Hi!

          I usually lurk in the background and watch the messages, but find it necessary to help clarify something that is always confusing to those not from my hometown of St.George.

          In the mid to late 1700s the current towns of Warren, Thomaston, Cushing, St.George, Rockland, etc. were known collectively as the plantation of St.Georges.  The area was later divided into the Upper and Lower Plantations of St.Georges before the towns started to become incorporated in the late 1700s.

          So....if there is a reference to St.George or St.Georges in the 1700s, it is very likely that the area to look for information may be in one of the other towns mentioned above rather than specifically in the current town of St.George, which was incorporated in 1803.

          John Falla
          St.George

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2001
            Thank you John for this information. It is very significant in my searach. Makes it a little harder mind you (Ha), but explains a number of questions.

            Thanks again,

            Malcolm Uhlman,
            Kingston, N.S.