      To: BroadBayMEGen@yahoogroups.com
      From: erifica@...
      Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:10:41 -0500
      Subject: Re: [BroadBayMEGen] Black town

      Goshen Cemetery is on Goshen Road, which is located off from Rt. 1.

      Here's a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Goshen+Rd,+Waldoboro,+ME+04572,+USA&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

      There's an egg farm on the right. I believe that you drive past the egg farm a little ways. Keep going and on the left hand side of the road is the cemetery. When I was a kid we drove by it on the school bus every day. I used to be scared of that cemetery.

      On Feb 4, 2008 7:40 PM, Patty Johnson <nynexesa@...> wrote:
      Where is the Goshen cemetary? you said east waldoboro. Is that near manktown rd? Is it easy to access?

      Patty Johnson

      Education is the most important subject which we as people, can be engaged in..--Abraham Lincoln

      Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:47:06 -0500

      Geez! THAT was a TRICK question! My error, you're correct. Back when the Schwartz name was anglicized to Black, there was a Waldoboro district called Black Town. This referred to the Schwartz/Black families that lived on the Miller Road near the present day high school. This had nothing to do with the negro families who also lived in town. Town tax collectors dreaded visiting the residents here because these Schwarts' didn't wish to part with their hard earned money.
      What is called the present day Miller road, used to loop around and come out and connect with the highway near Aunt Lydia's tavern. But, keep in mind that there was no U.S. Route One then but the road that came out of the Goshen district which eventually lead to Cole Hill and then downtown Waldoboro on the other side of the hill.
      There is little or nothing left of the old road today, especially where it came out near Aunt Lydia's. Thick woods exist there today and I've heard reports of old, small cellar holes here and there. There were large fields and pastureland at the time but only a few of these exist today with the farmhouses that currently maintain them. Most of all the Schwartz' from that Black Town area are buried in Goshen Cemetery, also in East Waldoboro.
      -mark benner-

      So, is Black town named after the group of negros living there or is it after the Schwartz/Blacks that lived there? My grandmother (Myrtle Black, Melvin's daughter) lived on that road until a fire destroyed their home and they moved to St. George when she was around 5 (early 1910s). I had heard from relatives that there maybe some foundations left. I took a ride down that road this weekend and wasnt sure how far. I saw old rock walls a bit down and it was grown in.