Missouri Briggs Family

  • Lee
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 8 5:11 PM
      Hi just joined the site. My line: My GG Grandfather was George
      Briggs born 6/1858 in Alabama died in Farmington, MO married Nancy
      Summers in Rector, MO. She was born 1861 in Salem, MO died 1938 in
      Salem, MO. Her parents were Daniel and Minerva Akers Summers. George
      I have no information other than what is listed. Their daughter
      Martha Elizabeth Briggs Frederick was my G Grandmother. She married
      Claud Frederick and lived in Houston, MO. Would love to hear from
      anyone with information or a connection.
    • Dalejbrigs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 10:37 PM
        `Sorry, Chiefers, that I can't be of help; the patriarch of my branch of the Briggs Clan, James Y Briggs came to MO from NC or TN temporarily as far back as 1818 at age 15. He and his wife, Margaret Shockley, daughter of Richard and Ann Bowman Shockley, moved there in Maries County in 1837. They were accompanied by John F. Briggs and his son, Andrew J. Briggs, who in c. 1840 moved to Dallas County, AR. In TN they all owned adjacent lands in Marion County, TN. James Y and his son, John Burr Briggs, b. TN 1833 were enlisted during the Civil War as teamsters for the Union Army at its railhead headquarters in Rolla, MO. James Y died as the result of some type of accident in July, 1863, at age 59 and is buried in the graveyard at Rolla, Phelps County, MO. We suspect that John F. was James Y's father, by his first wife, Nellie, whose mother's maiden name was "Young" but the evidence is circumstantial. My great grandfather, John Burr Briggs, is buried in a much neglected private graveyard near Brinktown, MO.

        I can furnish no information concerning those you name, but in case you find a connection in your research, please let me know. I carry on genealogical correspondence at BriggsTwig(at)aol.com.

        IN GOD WE TRUST,
        Dale
      • Lee capp
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10 6:43 AM

          Dale,

          Interesting information.  You just never know when a connection might be found.  The Briggs you are talking about were in the Rolla area.  My Briggs did not live too far from Rolla.  There maybe be a connection somewhere?  I will list your e-mail as a contact and if I find anything helpful I will let you know.

          Thanks,

          lee

        • Dalejbrigs@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10 9:10 PM
            Thanks and it's a deal, I'll be on the alert for your George Briggs.

            IN GOD WE TRUST,
            Dale