Briggs Family

  • Penny Zeigler
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2005
      Hello everone,

      Sorry I have not post for awhile! Been busy but I just got some new
      info about my Briggs family and what to see if there are any other
      people out here that may have new info for me. Thanks, Penny Zeigler
      from Salem, Oregon

      Ray Ord Marks
      1 Aug 1905 Oregon
      2 Feb 2001 Eugene, Lane County, Oregon
      2001 Lane Memorial Gardens
      Married May 1, 1925

      Father-Francis Martin Marks Mother-Ida Pearl Cochran

      Florence Adelaide Briggs
      11 Oct 1901 La Grande, Union County, Oregon
      20 Feb 1994 Eugene, Lane County, Oregon
      1994 Lane Memorial Gardens

      Father-Harvey Franklin Briggs Mother-Sarah Annie Dean
      Father came from Harrisville, Alcone County, Michigan came to Oregon
      some time around 1899 but Harvey had 2 other bothers come out to
      Oregon from Michigan there name are. Willie Henry Briggs<--(My
      Greatgrandpa) James Charles Briggs Harvey also had a sister come out
      to Washington State. Other family member may have came to Oregon but
      am look for info on any Briggs family that came from Oregon,
      Michigan, Washington, Idaho, California and New York.
    • Dalejbrigs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2005
        I doubt that I can contribute anything useful to your search, but my grandfather married Malinda Crismon in Maries County, MO, born in 1871, who had in her family line a relative named Isaac Crismon, aka "Oregon Ike" as a result of a sojourn in Oregon. For what worth it may be to you the following is a brief outline of my branch of the Briggs Family:

        Here is my branch of the family as I know it:

        James Y. Briggs, my great, great grandfather was born in Tennessee or a part of NC, which at one time was TN, in 1803 or 1804. His father we cannot be sure of, but the best guess to this point is John F. Briggs, born 1786. We believe that he was married at one time to a Nellie Young or a woman whose mother was Young, hence, perhaps, the Y in James Briggs name. John F. Briggs, his son, Andrew J.  and James Y owned adjoining properties in Marion County, TN. John and James were married to their wives in the same county in TN, the name of which does not come readily to mind (I'm doing this in a hurry). John F. we know was married to Mary (lnu-last name unknown), who is reputed to be Indian. The had a large number of known children. I have a list whom, if you suspect a connection, I can send to you. The families moved to MO and back several times, beginning in 1818, finally some settling in Maries, Gasconade and adjoining counties, MO in 1837. A couple of Daniel Boone's sons lived in the neighborhood. James Y married Margaret Shockley, daughter of Richard Shockley and Ann Bowman. They had numerous children including my great  grandfather, John Burr Briggs, b. in TN 1833, d. Maries County, MO 1891.
        John F. and Andrew J. and their families moved from MO to Dallas County, AR c. 1840. There may have been a rift in the family over slavery at that time causing the split. James Y and his son John Burr served in the Union Army as teamsters out of Rolla, Phelps County, MO, a railhead and headquarters, moving there to escape the danger of Confederate bushwhackers during the Civil War. James Y was accidentally, we have no details, in July of 1863, and is buried in the City's cemetery in Rolla.

        Families joined and migrated frequently in those pioneer times. Briggses and Shockleys were very close, intermarrying frequently. Another family with whom they had connections were the Hoodenpyles and others I can't call to mind at this time. The family you inquire about, I do not recall seeing. John Burr Briggs is buried in a small, now totally neglected country cemetery near Brinktown, MO. His wife, Melissa Powers, daughter of John Thompson Powers, if buried near Jay OK, where she migrated with some of her immediate family c. 1893. Margaret Shockley Briggs, wife of James Y and some of her offspring are buried in the cemetery at Vienna, MO.

        There is much more to tell, but this may help you discover a connection. The Shockleys came from VA and my grandfather was told that the Briggs family had its roots in PA, but we have been unable to trace back that far. The Daughters of the Revolution lists the graves of c. 140 Briggses who fought as patriots in the Revolutionary War, including that of Gen. Benjamin Briggs. There is a John Briggs listed on a plaque as a student at William and Mary College, Williamsburg, VA, who fought in that war.

        Let me know if this helps any. We had a network of family researchers going at one time, but we hit a stone wall in looking for James Y's parentage and most lost interest in proceeding. A good hot lead might suffice to reactivate our search.

        IN GOD WE TRUST,
        Dale J. Briggs
        6612 S. Zunis, Unit 105
        Tulsa, OK 74136-1195