Re: Thomas Briggs/Clara Todhunter

  • Penny
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
      Please e-mail me as I like to learn more. I had got back from this
      summer from the Briggs Farms that were out in the Oregon area the one
      that were the Briggs from that area not the grandpass Briggs!
      penny_pansy@...

    • Dalejbrigs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
        Dear Penny-Pansy, I do not recognize any of the names or connections you furnished of your line of the Briggs family with mine. But the path of migrations was quite similar. We have traced our ancestors for certain to James Y. Briggs, born 1803 or 1804, probably in that part of NC which became TN. His parents we are not sure of. The best guess we have at this time is that John F. Briggs, b 1786 and Nellie Young (married in Grainger County, TN) were his parents. Nellie died and he remarried and had many children by Mary (last name unknown), the oldest of which was Andrew J. Briggs. John F., James Y. and Andrew J. owned adjoining land in Marion County, TN, also adjoining land of Richard Shockley. He and wife, Ann Bowman Briggs' daughter, Margaret was married to James Y.. Together they had, I believe without counting them again, eleven children, beginning with three daughters, followed by John Burr Briggs and other sons, at least 3 of which served in the Union Army during the Civil War, and daughters. John F., James Y. and Andrew J. moved from TN, perhaps as early as 1818 to MO in the area now consisting of Maries County and surrounding counties. The first move was temporary. They went back to TN to live perhaps more than once and then returned to the same area in MO c. 1837. James Y. remained there until the Civil War, when to protect his family and himself he removed to Rolla, Phelps County, MO, where there was a railhead and supply dump for the Union Army. James Y., too old for military service, worked as a teamster for the Union Army and was killed by some type of accident in July 1863, and is buried in the Rolla Cemetery. After the war the family returned to Maries County.

        My grandfather, Stephen Gerome Briggs, was the third son of John Burr Briggs, b. 4-3-1833. He migrated to Oklahoma Territory in1893, remained two years, went back to MO and then returned c. 7 years later to OK, Waggoner and Muskogee counties. My father moved to Sand Springs, OK, a suburb of Tulsa, in 1913. My four brothers and two sisters and I were born there.

        The path of migration as far as we can certainly trace it back was probably from VA to NC to TN. From NC and TN the family, we know, split, some moving from Rowan and Davidson counties in NC to IL and to TN. From there they went to MO, TX, AL, GA. John F. and Andrew moved from MO c. 1840 to AR. We know that they owned slaves and suspect that there was a family rift over the subject, because James Y. remained in MO and was a unionist in an environment where most were slave owners. James Y., the half-brother of John F's other children, was never acknowledged as a member of that family in any records we can find in AR.

        Regarding the Briggses mentioned by you who migrated from MO to OR, it is quite possible, perhaps even probable that there is a family connection with my branch. We do know that there was considerable migration from MO to the West coast in the days after the Civil War.
        In his boyhood, my father's family lived for a time in what began as a way station on military road to the West and was known as the California Place, having been built by a man who had explored the gold fields of CA. It was built in 1854 and was on the List of National Historic Places, but was destroyed by fire about twelve years ago.

        That is about as good a summary of my branch of family as I can give with brevity. I'll keep a copy of your letter and, should I ever encounter any information about your Briggs line, shall try to get it to you. Of course, I would like to have and information you may develop regarding the family tree.

                                             Good hunting, Dale J. Briggs, Tulsa, OK

      • Penny
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2002
          Can you get a census on Dollie Briggs Thomas Briggs Sister. I am try
          to see if it possible that Andrew Briggs will come up on the census
          she was born May 17, 1884 Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas as you
          have the date post here. I think possible the family was there in
          1880 census or the 1890 census. Thanks, Penny

          --- In Briggs@y..., "mbriggs6808" <mbriggs@i...> wrote:
          > 1920 Federal Census for Union Co., LeGrande, Oregan
          > Lakes Division St.
          > Thomas Briggs, age 37, b Missouri, father b IL, mother b TN
          > Clara Briggs, wife, age 33, b Iowa, father b IA, mother b IA
          > Charles Briggs, son, age 13, b Oklahoma
          > Letha Briggs, dau., age 10, b Oklahoma
          >
          > occupation for Thomas was laborer, owned his own home;
          >
          > SSDI
          > Thomas Briggs
          > b 5 March 1882
          > d Feb 1975
          > Res: 98611 Castle Rock, Cowlitz, Washington
          > issued: b/4 1955 Oregon
          >
          > Info from D. Tinney:
          > Tom Briggs b 5 Mar 1882; d 24 Feb 1975; son of Andrew and Frances
          (Younger) Briggs; Tom Briggs mar. Clara Todhunter 5 Mar 1905;
          Andrew Briggs was b 1828 in Illinois; Frances Marion Younger was born
          1847 in Tennessee. Andrew and Frances Briggs also had Charles b 13
          April 1880 and Dollie b 17 May 1884. Andrew Briggs d 1919 in
          Wellington Oklahoma. Charles Briggs d 21 May 1952.
        • jay tinney
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 18, 2002
            --- In Briggs@y..., "Penny " <penny_pansy@h...> wrote:
            > Can you get a census on Dollie Briggs Thomas Briggs Sister. I am
            try
            > to see if it possible that Andrew Briggs will come up on the census
            > she was born May 17, 1884 Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas as you
            > have the date post here. I think possible the family was there in
            > 1880 census or the 1890 census. Thanks, Penny
            > penney,
            i went into the census for 1880 sedgewick county, kansas and only
            found a thomas briggs aged 25 yrs. in 1880 and 1882 according to
            birthdates of charles and thomas (brothers ) andrew and frances
            briggs were living in cedar county , missouri. unable to locate
            briggs in sedgewick county , kansas in 1890. i don't know where to go
            from there , but am still searching.
            always on the hunt,
            jay

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 19, 2002
              Why I ask is because I found this!!!

              Ashley Clark's Ancestors
              Entries: 10327 Updated: Mon Apr 9 14:00:06 2001 Contact: Herb
              Clark

              ----------

              Index | Descendancy | Register | Add Post-em

              ----------

              ID: I318
              Name: Andrew BRIGGS
              Given Name: Andrew
              Surname: BRIGGS
              Sex: M

              Marriage 1 Francis Marion YOUNGER
              Children
              Dollie Mae BRIGGS b: 17 MAY 1884 in Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 19, 2002

                 Penny <penny_pansy@...> wrote:

                Why I ask is because I found this!!!

                Ashley Clark's Ancestors
                Entries: 10327    Updated: Mon Apr 9 14:00:06 2001    Contact: Herb
                Clark

                ----------

                Index | Descendancy | Register | Add Post-em

                ----------

                ID: I318
                Name: Andrew BRIGGS
                Given Name: Andrew
                Surname: BRIGGS
                Sex: M

                Marriage 1 Francis Marion YOUNGER
                Children
                Dollie Mae BRIGGS b: 17 MAY 1884 in Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas

                Midwest Historical &

                Genealogical Society

                Wichita, Kansas

                INDEX to the 1900

                U. S. Federal Census

                Sedgwick County, Kansas

                BRIGGS, FRANCIS            CHARLES, THOMAS, DOLLIE MAY                  281-13b      WARD 2 PCT 3 285

                penny,

                this is what i found. apparently, being francis is listed as head of household, andrew was not listed. possibly they were separated ? this was actually the second marriage for francis marion briggs (younger).

                still looking into where andrew went.

                jay

                --- In Briggs@y..., "jay tinney" <jay_tinney@y...> wrote:
                > --- In Briggs@y..., "Penny " <penny_pansy@h...> wrote:
                > > Can you get a census on Dollie Briggs Thomas Briggs Sister. I am
                > try
                > > to see if it possible that Andrew Briggs will come up on the
                census
                > > she was born May 17, 1884 Wichita, Sedgwick County, Kansas as you
                > > have the date post here. I think possible the family was there in
                > > 1880 census or the 1890 census. Thanks, Penny
                > > penney,
                > i went into the census for 1880 sedgewick county, kansas and only
                > found a thomas briggs aged 25 yrs. in 1880 and 1882 according to
                > birthdates of charles and thomas (brothers ) andrew and frances
                > briggs were living in cedar county , missouri. unable to locate
                > briggs in sedgewick county , kansas in 1890. i don't know where to
                go
                > from there , but am still searching.
                >   always on the hunt,

                Do you Yahoo!?