My Briggs Family

  • phillyboy19007
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2002
      Hello to all.I'am looking for help on finding more info on a Henry
      Philip Briggs (bn 5/18/1864) came to America (New Jersey,Camden)about
      1885 from i believe Yorkshire England.In 1887 he married a Lucy Ann
      Wilkinson (bn 5/13/1865) who also came from England about the same
      time.Henry came with a brother Eli (bn 1/20/1857).Henry's Father name
      was also Henry philip Briggs and his mother's maiden name was Polina
      Merton (Pauline).Henry and Lucy had children named
      Gertrude,Merton,Alice,Marie and Harry (Henry).Really not sure where
      in
      England they came from but the family spent it seems most of the time
      in Camden NJ area.There also was a cousin or maybe a sister to Lucy
      named Annie
      Elizabeth who married here and her last name was Sanderson,don't know
      for sure what her last name was before she married.If any of this
      makes sense or any one has stumbled across them in thier searches let
      me know please. Ken
    • Dalejbrigs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 15, 2002
        Dear Mr. Kenneth Briggs:

        Coincidentally, I have a deceased brother named Kenneth. All my brothers and sisters were born in Oklahoma. My father, Fred Gerome Briggs was born in Missouri in 1891, his father, Stephen Gerome Briggs, also in MO, in 1860 (just in time for the Civil War), his father John Burr Briggs, also in MO, in 1833, his father, James Y. Briggs, in 1803 in NC or TN or a part of NC which later became TN, migrated from TN to MO, in 1818, went back to TN and returned to MO in 1837. He was serving as a teamster out of Rolla, MO, the farthest west railhead at the time, for the Union Army and was killed by accident in July of 1863; how we don't know. There is some evidence that James Y's father was John F. Briggs, born 1786, but it is circumstantial. James Y. was married to Margaret Shockley in Grainger County, TN, where John F. at one time resided. A John Briggs married a Nellie Young in Grainger County and we think the Y in James Y's name may be for Young.

        There is a tradition that our family located in PA long ago, but we have  not been able to trace an earlier Briggs connection for sure until James Y. The probability is that we are all connected with the Briggs who came to America in 1732, but the Briggs name is shared in America by so many, even back to Revolutionary days, that it is hard to "connect the dots", as we say in the current vernacular. The DAR lists 140 known gravesites of the Briggs Clan, who were patriots in the Revolution, in its records. They are mostly in the NE states. One, a General Benjamin Briggs, is buried in Massachusetts.

        The paths of migration often took people from the NE to VA, NC, AL, TN, TX, Mo, etc.,. I'm sorry I can't help you with your search, but with the above outline perhaps we can one day establish connections in the NE, whose relatives had the "itchy feet" that took them over the rivers, mountains, hills and valleys on the way to the Great West.

                                                         Dale J. Briggs
                                                         Tulsa, OK