Mash Cooler Size

  • rdadamsii
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
      I am primarly a Mead guy wich requires no heat. But a few times a
      year I like to brew 15 gallons of an Arrogant Bastard Clone. I've
      been doing it at a brew on premise place. I have a half keg for a
      kettle, but I need to know what size cooler I need for 30-40 lbs of grain.

      Dick
    • Michael Schwartz
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
        On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:52:26 -0500, rdadamsii <MeadGuild@...> wrote:

        > I am primarily a Mead guy which requires no heat. But a few times a
        > year I like to brew 15 gallons of an Arrogant Bastard Clone. I've
        > been doing it at a brew on premise place. I have a half keg for a
        > kettle, but I need to know what size cooler I need for 30-40 lbs of
        > grain.
        >
        > Dick

        A half barrel (15 gallons) will hold about 35 - 40 lbs of malt maximum.
        This means a similar size cooler (60 quart) should work.

        A half barrel can be used to boil about 12 gallons starting volume maximum
        which means a final volume of about 10 - 11 gallons.

        --
        Mike Schwartz
        Beer Barons of Milwaukee
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schwartz" <mjs@...>
          wrote:

          > On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:52:26 -0500, rdadamsii <MeadGuild@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I am primarily a Mead guy which requires no heat. But a few
          times a
          > > year I like to brew 15 gallons of an Arrogant Bastard Clone. I've
          > > been doing it at a brew on premise place. I have a half keg for a
          > > kettle, but I need to know what size cooler I need for 30-40 lbs
          of
          > > grain.
          > >
          > > Dick
          >
          > A half barrel (15 gallons) will hold about 35 - 40 lbs of malt
          maximum.
          > This means a similar size cooler (60 quart) should work.
          >
          > A half barrel can be used to boil about 12 gallons starting volume
          maximum
          > which means a final volume of about 10 - 11 gallons.
          >

          > --
          > Mike Schwartz
          > Beer Barons of Milwaukee
          > beerbarons.org

          Here is a little help that shows the amount of grain for vessel its
          down the page a bit. It figures grain and water to size of mash tun.
          http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml
          Hope this helps
          God bless

          Swagman
        • Dan Perry
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
            I was touring New Belgium Brewing last week and was intrigued by the system they had in their brew kettle. The had an inverted cone that the wort was poured over on it's way into the boil kettle. The liquid poured over it in a thin sheet and it was heated by the cone on the way in, so that by the time it dripped off of the cone it was at boiling temperature. Has anyone seen anything like this in a homebrew setup?

            - Dan