having problem with racking siphon

  • Bill Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      I have a 24" cane and 4' of tube. It doesn't keep flowing from the
      start and I have to keep restarting the flow. I had to put the primary
      on a stack of bricks 3 high (total 6 inches) on my counter (standard
      height counter) with the secondary carboy on the floor to get a
      constant flow. At this point the tube end will just make it to the
      carboy. Is the tube to short? What is a good length?
    • Derek Sherman
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        On 2 Sep 2006 at 2:39, Bill Brown wrote:

        > I have a 24" cane and 4' of tube. It doesn't keep flowing from the
        > start and I have to keep restarting the flow. I had to put the primary
        > on a stack of bricks 3 high (total 6 inches) on my counter (standard
        > height counter) with the secondary carboy on the floor to get a
        > constant flow. At this point the tube end will just make it to the
        > carboy. Is the tube to short? What is a good length?

        I had a similar problem once. What was happening was that enough
        CO2 was coming out of solution to break the siphon. Increasing the
        height difference helps somewhat by making the flow faster, makign
        it more difficult for large bubbles to form. The ultimate solution I
        came up with was a larger diameter cane and hose setup. That, and
        silicone up the point where cane and hose meet - it had a tendency
        to shift and start sucking air if I wasn't careful, again breaking the
        siphon.

        Derek
      • bob7982
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          So long as the end of your tube is below the carboy you're racking
          from you should be able to siphon. Of course the lower it is the
          easier it is and the better the flow. Make sure that your tube
          doesn't have any air in it when you start the siphon. If it does
          and you have a fairly good flow anyhow you can try pinching the tube
          near the air bubble to get it out. Pinching will increase the flow
          rate at that point and will help eliminate the bubble.

          I too have some difficulty getting a siphon started but once I get
          the bubble out of the line it goes without fail. How do you start
          your siphon? I use the orange or burgundy cap with the two tubes.
          I put my racking cane in the middle one and then blow into the one
          sticking up. I know it's not the most sanitary method so I usually
          desinfect my mouth first by taking a good shot of cask strength
          Scotch and then I just don't care.

          Cheers,
          Bob
        • Eric
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
            This week my buddy and I bottled our first batch, I used a racking
            cane like the one you talk about but I found it very slow and I would
            have to restart the flow.
            Then I tried my Auto Siphon racking cane and that worked great for us
            it had good soild flow all the way to the end. I wish I had used it
            at the start.

            Eric

            --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "bob7982" <Brewing@...>