Sankey Keg

  • Dan Whitehead
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1 5:25 AM
      Can Anyone tell me where I can locate a Sankey keg, to convert into a
      brewpot ?

      Dan
    • Kevin Pratt
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1 7:15 AM
        Standard disclaimer: Kegs are property of the brewery, so you should find reconditioned kegs.

        You'll find that at www.kegs.com

        That said, the more common approach is to find them at scrap yards, ebay and craigslist.  Some will buy a good beer in a keg, and not return it for the deposit.

        Ask around your local brew club and bars and they will come your way.  Lots of people upgrade, downsize or get out of brewing alltogether.

        Kegs are really expensive to buy new, even for a major brewery.  So support your local micros by not cutting up one of theirs. ;-)

        Dan Whitehead <whitd01@...> wrote:
        Can Anyone tell me where I can locate a Sankey keg, to convert into a
        brewpot ?

        Dan

        More members means more expertise! Please invite friends, mention us in your email signature line, and add a link to us on your website. THANKS!
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Larry List Account
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1 11:12 AM
          Kevin writes: Standard disclaimer: Kegs are property of the brewery, so you should find reconditioned kegs.

          I have a question about the above statement.

          Around this area if you pay a deposit for a full keg, then try to return it for a refund of your deposit they won't always accept the keg and return the deposit.

          This happens when you:
          Don't have your receipt

          When a long period of time has elapsed (varies by liquor store)

          Or you never had the receipt (beer purchased by someone else, keg left in your possession).
          Under the above circumstances should you take the keg to the brewery and forfeit your deposit, probably not worth the trip to Germany.  Throw the keg away?

          I should say I've never had the issue about returning the keg,  this is what I've been told.  True? Not true?  I don't know.

          Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

          Thanks,

          Larry Hoy

        • Jeff Pitblado
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1 11:22 AM
            Larry List Account wrote:
            > Under the above circumstances should you take the keg to the brewery
            and
            > forfeit your deposit, probably not worth the trip to Germany. Throw
            > the keg away?

            Exchange it when you buy another full keg so you don't have to pay the
            deposit again.
          • Larry List Account
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1 11:49 AM
              > Exchange it when you buy another full keg so you don't have to pay the deposit again.
              I do that; but not everyone does that.  They may have one "kegger" each decade.

              I think this is how many kegs get converted.  The donor keg has been sitting in the back yard for 5 years.  And the 'owners' are happy to get rid of it.

              The liquor stores don't give a rip, they paid the deposit to the distributor, they got the deposit from the buyer.  They are in it for nothing.  If you never come back, they're happy; If you come back and buy another keg they're happy.  But if all you want is your deposit they have a cost in handling, but no profit to be made.

              Seems to me the system is bound to create surplus kegs.

              Larry

              > Under the above circumstances should you take the keg to the brewery
              and
              > forfeit your deposit, probably not worth the trip to Germany. Throw
              > the keg away?

              Exchange it when you buy another full keg so you don't have to pay the
              deposit again.

            • blake skullerud
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1 11:58 AM
                I have the same question...
                I had 4 kegs under the house from past parties. Just never got around to taking the kegs back to the liquer store. Because so much time had passed they would not take them back. My solution was to sell them on Ebay for the price of my deposit. Is this a crime? I don't feel it is my job to try and track down reps from the 4 different breweries to try and work a deal for my deposit. I know they should have been returned in a timely manner but as they say $#!^ happens.

                Why don't the breweries have a system/process in place to round up these lost kegs.

                Thanks for all the great info.

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1 12:24 PM
                  I've got a customer with a 1/2 bbl keg leftover from a
                  party which sadly didnt occur cause the evening after
                  they set the keg on the pool deck it had leaked into
                  the pool

                  I presume the jar of impact when putting a full keg on
                  concrete unseated the ball valve seal and that's why
                  it leaked.

                  He's giving it to me...I gotta pick it up sometime

                  Yodar

                  Yodar
                  Words MEAN things.
                • Joe Strain
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1 12:31 PM
                    I was told on one list that the user deposit isnt the
                    same as what the dealer pays if the dealer FAILS to
                    return goods he got on consignment...The information
                    on the lists I heard was $130.00 fee the dealer hadda
                    eat for a lost keg on consignment..the dealer pays no
                    deposit, he pays for lost kegs

                    Now THAT is a horse of a significant color if it is
                    true

                    Yodar

                    --- Larry List Account <list@...> wrote:

                    > > Exchange it when you buy another full keg so you
                    > don't have to pay the deposit again.
                    >
                    > I do that; but not everyone does that. They may
                    > have one "kegger" each decade.
                    >
                    > I think this is how many kegs get converted. The
                    > donor keg has been sitting in the back yard for 5
                    years. And the 'owners' are happy to
                    > get rid of it.
                    >
                    > The liquor stores don't give a rip, they paid the
                    > deposit to the distributor, they got the deposit
                    from the buyer. They are in it for nothing. If you
                    never come back, they're happy; If you come back and
                    > buy another keg they're happy. But if all you want
                    > is your deposit they have a cost in handling, but no
                    profit to be
                    > made.
                    >
                    > Seems to me the system is bound to create surplus
                    > kegs.
                    >
                    > Larry

                    Yodar
                    Words MEAN things.
                  • Larry List Account
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1 12:45 PM
                      I'm certain he is giving it to you so you can return it to the brewry/owner?

                      ;- )

                      Larry Hoy

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1 12:49 PM
                        That may be true... but, if it were, I suspect the dealer would want to buy (or return on deposit) any keg he could lay his hands on.  Which doesn't appear to be the case.

                        Larry Hoy

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1 1:29 PM
                          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Pratt <oh2bontv@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Standard disclaimer: Kegs are property of the brewery, so you should
                          find reconditioned kegs.

                          Somewhat repeating what I mentioned in the previous thread started by
                          Dan if you are looking for a keg and the scrapyard, or the non-returned
                          route doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, you may want to take a
                          look at eBay item #4450061354. The seller has a good track record and
                          for what you're getting you'd be hard press to do it yourself for any
                          less assuming shipping is resonable. Not very many people can do a
                          nitric acid wash of there stainless steel or cut a perfect 12" hole.

                          Bob
                        • Joe Strain
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1 2:40 PM
                            Thanks! Hot lead!

                            yodar

                            --- bob7982 <Brewing@...> wrote:

                            > --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Pratt
                            > <oh2bontv@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Standard disclaimer: Kegs are property of the
                            > brewery, so you should
                            > find reconditioned kegs.
                            > >

                            > Somewhat repeating what I mentioned in the previous
                            > thread started by
                            > Dan if you are looking for a keg and the scrapyard,
                            > or the non-returned
                            > route doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, you
                            > may want to take a
                            > look at eBay item #4450061354. The seller has a good
                            > track record and
                            > for what you're getting you'd be hard press to do it
                            > yourself for any
                            > less assuming shipping is resonable. Not very many
                            > people can do a
                            > nitric acid wash of there stainless steel or cut a
                            > perfect 12" hole.
                            >
                            > Bob
                            >

                            > More members means more expertise! Please invite
                            > friends, mention us in your email signature line,
                            > and add a link to us on your website. THANKS!
                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            Yodar
                            Words MEAN things.
                          • Kevin Pratt
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1 3:52 PM
                              Is it a crime: technically, yes.  A petty one, though.  Chances of getting in trouble, virtually nil, unless you make a business of it.

                              While I would loath to tell anyone to break the law, please read between the lines when I say: don't cut up you local micro's kegs.  For them, at hundreds of $$ each, it is a big investment and often they have far fewer than they need for their business.  Returning their keg might not get you money, but it might get a couple of growlers in gratitude.

                              Now, for the bigger breweries that don't/won't keep track of their inventory.... well that's the luck of the draw, isn't it?

                              Kev.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2 5:02 AM
                                Thank you

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 2 5:03 AM
                                  Thanks, Dan

                                  --- bob7982 <Brewing@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Pratt
                                  > <oh2bontv@...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Standard disclaimer: Kegs are property of the
                                  > brewery, so you should
                                  > find reconditioned kegs.
                                  > >

                                  > Somewhat repeating what I mentioned in the previous
                                  > thread started by
                                  > Dan if you are looking for a keg and the scrapyard,
                                  > or the non-returned
                                  > route doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, you
                                  > may want to take a
                                  > look at eBay item #4450061354. The seller has a good
                                  > track record and
                                  > for what you're getting you'd be hard press to do it
                                  > yourself for any
                                  > less assuming shipping is resonable. Not very many
                                  > people can do a
                                  > nitric acid wash of there stainless steel or cut a
                                  > perfect 12" hole.
                                  >
                                  > Bob

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Joe Strain
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 2 3:11 PM
                                    He wants about 50 bux more for two holes in the side
                                    for a bulkhead adaptor (ball valve) and perhaps a
                                    sight gage

                                    Yodar

                                    Yodar
                                    Words MEAN things.