Horizontal Drive Shaft

  • surfsupks
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2006
      Does anybody know if some company makes a seal that can be welded into
      the side of a tank that has drive shaft that is horizontal to the
      tank. Like a drive shaft that goes thru the bottom of boats. I would
      like to add this to my HLT tank for a stirer. I have one vert. from
      the top but this just won't do for some other ideals. Size shaft say
      1/8 to 1/4 inch. I don't even know what you would call it and to make
      matters a little harder in stainless steel. I have been thinking of
      trying to make one out of a ss coupler with plugs in both ends bored
      for shaft size and packing placed around the shaft between the two
      plugs and than screw together to form a water tight seal. But
      thinking the drag on the shaft maybe hard to rotate the shaft. If I
      can't find one already made may try this redneck ideal.

      Swagman
    • Michael Schwartz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 11, 2006
        On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:09:22 -0500, surfsupks <SURFSUPKS@...> wrote:

        > Does anybody know if some company makes a seal that can be welded into
        > the side of a tank that has drive shaft that is horizontal to the
        > tank. Like a drive shaft that goes thru the bottom of boats. I would
        > like to add this to my HLT tank for a stirer. I have one vert. from
        > the top but this just won't do for some other ideals. Size shaft say
        > 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I don't even know what you would call it and to make
        > matters a little harder in stainless steel. I have been thinking of
        > trying to make one out of a ss coupler with plugs in both ends bored
        > for shaft size and packing placed around the shaft between the two
        > plugs and than screw together to form a water tight seal. But
        > thinking the drag on the shaft maybe hard to rotate the shaft. If I
        > can't find one already made may try this redneck ideal.

        If I understand what you're asking about you're looking for a propeller
        shaft seal (or stuffing box or packing gland) for an inboard drive.
        They're very expensive and I've never seen one for less than about a 3/4"
        shaft. They also all use grease or oil seals.

        There may be something made for horizontal mixing tanks that might be
        cheaper and better suited than a marine fitting.

        If you make your own you may want to get some teflon (PTFE) rod and drill
        the center out to the size of the shaft. This provides a bearing for the
        shaft to run on. You can come up with a way to use O rings for a better
        seal.

        Probably much easier to stick with the vertical mixer from the top and
        figure out other ways of doing whatever makes that not work.

        Good luck!

        --
        Mike Schwartz
        Beer Barons of Milwaukee
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 11, 2006
          How about a magnetic stirrer? The stainless steel won't mind. This link is just an example
          -- first one I came to, you could find something cheaper and more suitable.
          http://www.labdepotinc.com/Product_Details~id~361~pid~12862.aspx

          Roger

          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "surfsupks" <SURFSUPKS@...> wrote:

          > Does anybody know if some company makes a seal that can be welded into
          > the side of a tank that has drive shaft that is horizontal to the
          > tank. Like a drive shaft that goes thru the bottom of boats. I would
          > like to add this to my HLT tank for a stirer. I have one vert. from
          > the top but this just won't do for some other ideals. Size shaft say
          > 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I don't even know what you would call it and to make
          > matters a little harder in stainless steel. I have been thinking of
          > trying to make one out of a ss coupler with plugs in both ends bored
          > for shaft size and packing placed around the shaft between the two
          > plugs and than screw together to form a water tight seal. But
          > thinking the drag on the shaft maybe hard to rotate the shaft. If I
          > can't find one already made may try this redneck ideal.
          >
          > Swagman

        • Denis Barsalo
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2006
            Keep in mind here that we want to stir a mash which has a rather thick
            consistency.
            I'm not sure an affordable magnetic stirrer would be available for that, do you?

            How about a magnetic stirrer? The stainless steel won't mind. This link is
            just an example
            -- first one I came to, you could find something cheaper and more suitable.
          • Mike Heydenrych
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
              There are two ways of approaching this one:

              1)  If the aim is to get good mixing in your tank, then the easiest way is to do this is to install a recirculation pump - this is the way I do it.  This pump also serves as a pump to the mash tun, allowing the two tanks to be on the same level.  I always found it annoying to have to climb up to take samples or to dose my hot liquor tank - having the hot liquor tank on ground level is so much easier!.  The recirculation method is also effective for improving the heat transfer to the pipes in a HERMS system.

              2)  The other way is to use a centrifugal pump, with the front of impeller housing removed.  A centrifugal pump already has a seal where the shaft enters the back of the impeller housing.  Then you only need to seal your tank against the back of the impeller housing.  You should be able to find a suitable centrifugal pump fairly cheaply.

              Michael Schwartz wrote:
[...]

            • robert fichera
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006

                in my opinion you should install a mecanical seal and a sleave bearing at the dead end

                La Vita e'Bella = life is beautiful ROBERTO LEOCATA CONTI FICHERA {CCH}

                From: "rogerdknapp" <peregrine38@...>
                To: BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:12:57 -0000

                How about a magnetic stirrer? The stainless steel won't mind. This link is just an example
                -- first one I came to, you could find something cheaper and more suitable.
                http://www.labdepot inc.com/Product_ Details~id~ 361~pid~12862. aspx

                Roger

                --- In BrewingEquipment@ yahoogroups. com, "surfsupks" <SURFSUPKS@. ..> wrote:

                > Does anybody know if some company makes a seal that can be welded into
                > the side of a tank that has drive shaft that is horizontal to the
                > tank. Like a drive shaft that goes thru the bottom of boats. I would
                > like to add this to my HLT tank for a stirer. I have one vert. from
                > the top but this just won't do for some other ideals. Size shaft say
                > 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I don't even know what you would call it and to make
                > matters a little harder in stainless steel. I have been thinking of
                > trying to make one out of a ss coupler with plugs in both ends bored
                > for shaft size and packing placed around the shaft between the two
                > plugs and than screw together to form a water tight seal. But
                > thinking the drag on the shaft maybe hard to rotate the shaft. If I
                > can't find one already made may try this redneck ideal.
                >
                > Swagman

              • Michael Schwartz
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
                  On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:59:10 -0500, Denis Barsalo <dbarsalo@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Keep in mind here that we want to stir a mash which has a rather thick
                  > consistency.
                  > I'm not sure an affordable magnetic stirrer would be available for that,
                  > do you?

                  He specifically said this was for his HLT. Anything should be able to
                  stir that.

                  Magnetic is a great idea if his HLT is 300 series stainless. Some of the
                  18xx series are magnetic and a lot of cheap cookware is made from this. I
                  don't know about other types of stainless. Then I've also seen newer
                  stainless pots where they're putting an iron disk in the bottom to spread
                  the heat. Just need to do the magnet test first.

                  --
                  Mike Schwartz
                  Beer Barons of Milwaukee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12, 2006
                    I stand corrected...

                    In that case, I concur with the gentleman who mentioned recirculation.
                    That's what I do in my HLT and it does improve the HERMS' performance.

                    Denis

                    > Keep in mind here that we want to stir a mash which has a rather thick
                    > consistency.
                    > I'm not sure an affordable magnetic stirrer would be available for
                    > that, do you?

                    He specifically said this was for his HLT. Anything should be able to stir
                    that.
                  • Frosty The BeerMan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 20, 2006
                      Hi again guys,

                      I came across something that seems to be exactly what you want to see,
                      it was posted on the greenboard.

                      some good images of the neat device too !

                    • surfsupks
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 21, 2006
                        --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Frosty The BeerMan"
                        <allgrainbrewer@...> wrote:

                        > Hi again guys,
                        >
                        > I came across something that seems to be exactly what you want to
                        see,
                        > it was posted on the greenboard.
                        > http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=58464
                        >
                        > some good images of the neat device too !

                        Frosty

                        Guess what Surfsupks and Swagman yep same

                        surfsupks
                        swagman