would this be suitable for cutting top out of a keg?

  • Joe Strain
    Message 1 of 29 , May 8, 2006
      http://tinyurl.com/fg2j6

      yodar

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Denis Barsalo
      Message 2 of 29 , May 8, 2006
        Yes but you don't have to use this.

        This type of reciprocal saw is very noisy. Thing of an empty keg acting like a
        bell; the thing will ring out like crazy and you'll have the whole neighbourhood
        coming around to find out what all the racket is about.

        The tool of choice is a grinder with a good quality cutting wheel (such as those
        made by Walter).

        Mark the keg with a Sharpie and follow the line not trying to cut all the way
        through on the first shot. Just score it and keep going over it until the top
        cuts out.

        WEAR GOGGLES!

        Denis

        Message 3 of 29 , May 8, 2006
          But isnt a saw. It's a router-wannabe using a drill
          bit to cut sideways

          i knothing 'bout tools, which is why I asked

          Yodar

          --- Denis Barsalo <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

          > Yes but you don't have to use this.
          >
          > This type of reciprocal saw is very noisy. Thing of
          > an empty keg acting like a
          > bell; the thing will ring out like crazy and you'll
          > have the whole neighbourhood
          > coming around to find out what all the racket is
          > about.
          >
          > The tool of choice is a grinder with a good quality
          > cutting wheel (such as those
          > made by Walter).
          >
          > Mark the keg with a Sharpie and follow the line not
          > trying to cut all the way
          > through on the first shot. Just score it and keep
          > going over it until the top
          > cuts out.
          >
          > WEAR GOGGLES!
          >
          > Denis

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/L.NolB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Larry List Account
          Message 4 of 29 , May 8, 2006
            I don't know if it will work, but it is a saw, a rotary saw.  The biggest issue might be the type of cutting bit it has.  Many of these bits are for cutting softer items, not metal.  They are commonly used to cut holes in sheet rock for electrical wall boxes.  The first of these tools were very expensive when introduce ($200+) and were sold under the name "Roto Tool".

            I have several HF tools, they are fine for the home handy man, few tradesmen would use them.  Generally they are lighter duty than many other options you may have.

            Since it does use 1/4" collets I'm pretty certain you can get an appropriate bit to cut metal, the next issue would be the side load on the bearing and the load on the motor.  But heck it's not like you are doing this every day and for $20 I'd be likely to give it a try.  You may find the appropriate bit for cutting steel isn't available at HF and you may pay $10+ for the right one.

            A comment was made earlier about safety.  Of course that is important; to this, I'd add, if you are using a rotary tool of any type (Roto Tool, drill motor, circular saws, cut off tool, etc) that you not wear loose clothing like scarves.  When loose clothing gets wrapped in these type of tools it can get real ugly, real fast.

            If you do this, let us know how it goes.

            Larry Hoy

            But isnt a saw. It's a router-wannabe using a drill
            bit to cut sideways

            i knothing 'bout tools, which is why I asked

            Yodar

            --- Denis Barsalo <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

            > Yes but you don't have to use this.
            >
            > This type of reciprocal saw is very noisy. Thing of
            > an empty keg acting like a
            > bell; the thing will ring out like crazy and you'll
            > have the whole neighbourhood
            > coming around to find out what all the racket is
            > about.
            >
            > The tool of choice is a grinder with a good quality
            > cutting wheel (such as those
            > made by Walter).
            >
            > Mark the keg with a Sharpie and follow the line not
            > trying to cut all the way
            > through on the first shot. Just score it and keep
            > going over it until the top
            > cuts out.
            >
            > WEAR GOGGLES!
            >
            > Denis

          • blake skullerud
            Message 5 of 29 , May 8, 2006

              Plasma cutter... if you don't have one, do what you can to find someone who does. They are the only way to go. Done in seconds and the cut needs almost no finishing.
              (If I had one I would let you use it... but unfortunately I am plasma-less; for now)

              Blake

              But isnt a saw. It's a router-wannabe using a drill
              bit to cut sideways

              i knothing 'bout tools, which is why I asked

              Yodar

              --- Denis Barsalo <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

              > Yes but you don't have to use this.
              >
              > This type of reciprocal saw is very noisy. Thing of
              > an empty keg acting like a
              > bell; the thing will ring out like crazy and you'll
              > have the whole neighbourhood
              > coming around to find out what all the racket is
              > about.
              >
              > The tool of choice is a grinder with a good quality
              > cutting wheel (such as those
              > made by Walter).
              >
              > Mark the keg with a Sharpie and follow the line not
              > trying to cut all the way
              > through on the first shot. Just score it and keep
              > going over it until the top
              > cuts out.
              >
              > WEAR GOGGLES!
              >
              > Denis

              Beer brewing equipment Homebrewing

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Tom Kramer
              Message 6 of 29 , May 8, 2006
                You would definitely need a carbide bit for it. The high speed
                worries me too. If you move too fast, you generate
                heat, oxidize the stainless, and dull the cutting edge. Not good.
                I used a reciprocating saw to cut two kegs and a jigsaw to cut one. I
                used a bimetallic blade and started the cut with a
                dremal tool. I used water to keep the cut cool. The jigsaw worked
                best because the blade had less depth, the reciprocating
                saw blade was about 1/2 inch deep while the jigsaw was 1/4 inch deep
                and didn't rub as much on the curve.
                Good Luck,
                Tom

                jigsaw:
                http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?
                itemid=46055
                reciprocating saw
                http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?
                itemid=4095
                On 8 May 2006, at 4:55 PM, Joe Strain wrote:

                > http://tinyurl.com/fg2j6
                >
                > yodar

              • Denis Barsalo
                Message 7 of 29 , May 9, 2006
                  I agree about the plasma cutter; but grinders are usually easily available and do a fine job.  :-)

                  Plasma cutter... if you don't have one, do what you can to find someone who does. They are the only way to go. Done in seconds and the cut needs almost no finishing.
                  (If I had one I would let you use it... but unfortunately I am plasma-less; for now)

                  Blake

                  But isnt a saw. It's a router-wannabe using a drill
                  bit to cut sideways

                  i knothing 'bout tools, which is why I asked

                  Yodar

                  --- Denis Barsalo <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

                  > Yes but you don't have to use
                  this.

                  > This type of reciprocal saw is very noisy. Thing
                  of
                  > an empty keg acting like a
                  > bell; the thing will ring out like
                  crazy and you'll
                  > have the whole neighbourhood
                  > coming around to
                  find out what all the racket is
                  > about.
                  >
                  > The tool of
                  choice is a grinder with a good quality
                  > cutting wheel (such as
                  those
                  > made by Walter).
                  >
                  > Mark the keg with a Sharpie and
                  follow the line not
                  > trying to cut all the way
                  > through on the
                  first shot. Just score it and keep
                  > going over it until the top

                  cuts out.

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 9, 2006
                    --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Barsalo"
                    <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

                    > I agree about the plasma cutter; but grinders are usually easily
                    available and
                    > do a fine job. :-)
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    >I totaly agree with the plasma and a neck alot safer most welders
                    love beer I know this one does. But one thing a plasma does have one
                    flaw that is blow back. The way I cut kegs is I remove the roller
                    rim at the top just above the handle openings it takes two cuts
                    because of blow back first cut in from the top of the roll straight
                    down splitting the roll vert. and than around the outside horz. The
                    next cut is the top nothing special with the plasma just open the top
                    to get a four inch grinder in because I cut the top off from the
                    inside to the side wall. A plasma would be blowing into your face.
                    When done I have a keg with straight sides that I can get a fifteen
                    inch dia. flase bottom in. Just remember a four inch grinder with a
                    cut off wheel don't care what it cuts steel or flesh. Gloves and hold
                    on tight because they can buck right out of your hands.

                    Hope this helps

                    Swagman
                  • n6tez
                    Message 9 of 29 , May 9, 2006
                      Hi Yodar,

                      I have a rotor or ZIP cutter similar to the one on the Harbor
                      Frieght website. I've researched it's possible use, but could not
                      find one of there special bits designed for Stainless.
                      The best tool I've found is the Harbor Frieght Die Grinder item
                      #44141. As you know if you wait, everthing at H-F goes on sale
                      sooner or latter. Got mine on sale. Had to buy the small abrasive
                      wheels (25,000 rpm)and arbor at the local hardware store. I fill my
                      kegs with water to keep the SS cool and keep it in place. I wear
                      protective clothing and eye protection. Also I rigged up a jig so I
                      could pivot the tool on keg top hole. Made a perfectly round cut
                      without useing a template. I went round until there was just a
                      paper thin layer of metal left before I made the final cut and the
                      lid fell in. Taking the sharp edge off with a flat file.

                      Cheers, n6tez

                      --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Joe Strain <cz52_98@...>
                      wrote:

                      > http://tinyurl.com/fg2j6
                      >
                      > yodar

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Casey

                        But isnt a saw. It's a router-wannabe using a drill
                        bit to cut sideways

                        i knothing 'bout tools, which is why I asked

                        Yodar

                        --- Denis Barsalo <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

                        > Yes but you don't have to use this.
                        >
                        > This type of reciprocal saw is very noisy. Thing of
                        > an empty keg acting like a
                        > bell; the thing will ring out like crazy and you'll
                        > have the whole neighbourhood
                        > coming around to find out what all the racket is
                        > about.
                        >
                        > The tool of choice is a grinder with a good quality
                        > cutting wheel (such as those
                        > made by Walter).
                        >
                        > Mark the keg with a Sharpie and follow the line not
                        > trying to cut all the way
                        > through on the first shot. Just score it and keep
                        > going over it until the top
                        > cuts out.
                        >
                        > WEAR GOGGLES!
                        >
                        > Denis

                      • Joe
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 10, 2006
                          I found there are several ways to cut out the top of a keg. I have
                          been using a dremel tool with cutting wheels. The cut comes out really
                          nice. The only problem is that the cutting wheels do not last long.
                          You will need about 16 of them. Stainless steel makes a nice knife!So
                          with this in mindd, after the cut is complete, put a disk sander on
                          the dremel and go around the whole cut to remove all the crap and to
                          get rid of the sharp edge.

                          If you use a plasma cutter, make sure to put some water in the keg.
                          This will help keep the blow-out from screwing up the kegs inards.

                          I haven't tried and angle grinder, yet. But I saw a good posting that
                          said to use a stainless steel cutter. This is a good point! Rusting
                          start not from grinding teh stainless, but rather from all the foriegn
                          material that is being embedded into the stainless from the grinding
                          material.

                          As a side note, stainless steel starts to anneal when it gets cherry
                          red. This makes it more difficult to cut. It is best to keep the
                          cutting as cool as possible when drilling, etc. I use a small stream
                          of water to accomplish this when drilling. I found that cobalt drills
                          work best and last longer.

                          My two cents,
                          Joe