Re: [BrewEquip] which cornelius keg to buy?

  • scott_barrett_2000@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 14, 2012
      I buy used ones and put prong kits in

      On Oct 14, 2012, at 12:26 PM, A C <lost401k@...> wrote:

      I am done bottling my home brew. Decided I will start kegging and went online to buy a cornelius keg and was overwhelmed
      at the selection.
      Should I buy used unreconditioned (and put new orings in myself)?
      Should I buy used refurbed (that come pressure tested)?
      Should I buy a shiny new one (double or triple the price of used)?
      Pin lock or ball lock (does it matter)?
      There seems to be large range of price for used/reconditioned from $35.00 to $70.00... why?

      Thanks,
      -Bigsipper

    • Denis Barsalo
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2012
        The big range in price is due to availability. If you happen to come along a scrap yard that has hundreds, you will find some for $35 or less.... the condition of these may be iffy at best. Not clean, dented, no capable of holding pressure, etc. It will be up to you to service them and get them in homebrew-ready condition.

        Pin lock kegs are traditionally fatter than ball lock, so depending on your fridge dimensions, you may want ball lock kegs.

        I also find ball lock parts are usually a bit cheaper.

        Dealing with pressure leaks can be as simple as using two o rings on the lid. If you end up buying multiple kegs and you decide to take them apart to clean them, do ONE at a time. Don't interchange parts between kegs if you can avoid it. There are multiple manufacturers of these kegs and not all the parts are identical. Lids and dip tubes differ greatly.

        Denis