Re: [BrewEquip] Re: New to brew

  • Gregg Schroeder
    Message 1 of 55 , Jan 1, 2012
      Are there kits/ recipes out there that are for a full 5 gallon boil?
      Thanks for all the other info.  I figured I would just follow the instructions but I was a bit disappointed because I have this beautiful huge brew pot and dont really need it :/.

      Thanks again,
      Gregg

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 31, 2011, at 4:30 PM, t2000kwt <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I recommend that you follow your ingredients kit's instructions. It was already adjusted for a specific boil volume for hop utilization.

      The larger the volume of liquid for a given amount of hops, the more bittering you will extract from the hops. It's also inversely proportional to wort density. If your wort is high gravity, you get less from a given amount of hops than if it's a low gravity beer.

      BYO had an experiment where they boiled the hops in plain water for a certain amount of time before adding the malt extract, then boiled for a short time. They got more bittering from the hops than doing it with the wort in the water the whole time.

      A full boil shouldn't affect your alcohol content, but it could make the beer somewhat more bitter. It should also lessen the carmelization of the wort, making for a lighter colored beer.

      Your recipe kit maker probably has taken all of that into consideration, so if you follow those directions, you should get a beer that is true to the style the recipe kit is made to match.

      Donald

      --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Gregg Schroeder <beercity23@...> wrote:

      > I am new as well and just got a 7 or 8 gallon brew pot. When I opened up the kit, it says steep the grains in only 2.5 gal then boil and add hops... Then pour the 2.5 gal into the fermenter and add water. My question is why can't I just boil all 5 gallons at once instead of adding. How will this change my flavor, abv and IBU?
      >

      > Sent from my iPhone

    • m.jerry90
      Message 55 of 55 , Jan 2, 2012
        In addition, all the kits I get @northern_brewer that I brew call for a partial boil, I brew as full wort boils with no adjustments made to the hop additions and turn out very well. Use your kettle volume and make great beer.

        Jerry

        On Jan 2, 2012, at 4:17 PM, t2000kwt <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Most of us are not brewing to match style guidelines. We're brewing for taste. We want a beer we like and/or one we can share without making excuses for, so a full boil won't turn a good beer into a bad one.

        You also have the benefit of having killed all bacteria in the wort. If you just top up with tap water, you can't guarantee that there isn't something in there that might do bad things to your beer.

        One good thing, as Jerry mentioned, is that you get a lighter beer. It won't make much of a difference with a dark beer, but it can make a noticeable difference with a lighter style. It's hard to make a very light beer with extract. A full boil with very light malt extract can do a good job with all but the very lightest styles.

        Donald

        =