Aluminum frame for single tier HERMS?

  • hjsigmon
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
      I have finally acquired a third keg and plan to graduate from a two tier system where the HLT is more or less non-existent (I heat strike water in the mash tun before adding grain and then batch sparge with water heated on the stove and dumped in). My first question is about the frame. I have access to some 2"x3"x.25" thick aluminum angle scrap and was wondering how feasible a bolted aluminum frame might be.

      I'm hoping the alloy of the scrap is 2024 as it has better heat resistance (300F according to mcmaster), and hoping it's not 6063 alloy which has less (212F, mcmaster again). To be safe and so I don't have any residual heat flowing into anything I have mounted on the bottom half of the frame (ie, pumps), it seems I should insulate my kegs from the aluminum frame. The question becomes what should I use.

      I guess I'm really wondering if anyone out there has built or read anything about building a frame from aluminum and what they've learned about heat issues as well as anything else that is likely to come up. A quick internet search didn't yield much of anything, so I'm guessing it's not too popular. I realize a welded frame would be better, but I don't have access to a tig welder, nor do I have the experience required to weld aluminum.

      Thanks in advance for any input.

      Hall
      Raleigh, NC
    • claudiusangelo
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2010
        --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "hjsigmon" <hjsigmon@...> wrote:

        > I guess I'm really wondering if anyone out there has built or read anything about building a frame from aluminum and what they've learned about heat issues as well as anything else that is likely to come up. A quick internet search didn't yield much of anything, so I'm guessing it's not too popular. I realize a welded frame would be better,but I don't have access to a tig welder, nor do I have the experience required to weld aluminum.
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any input.
        >
        > Hall
        > Raleigh, NC

        My home brewery is made out of extruded aluminum and works very well with my gas burners.
        Its all in the design, non of the burners are close to the frame.

        Cheers,
        ClaudiusB
      • claudiusangelo
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2010
          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "hjsigmon" <hjsigmon@...> wrote:

          > I guess I'm really wondering if anyone out there has built or read anything about building a frame from aluminum and what they've learned about heat issues as well as anything else that is likely to come up. >
          > Thanks in advance for any input.
          >
          > Hall
          > Raleigh, NC

          Hers is a perfect example made by Irrenarzt, see post #9, Home Brew Talk
          http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/aluminum-brewery-stand-feasibility-172198/

          Cheers,
          ClaudiusB
        • Michael D. Noah
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2010

            WOW!! I checked out the link and I immediately fell in love with the picture. My wooden brew stand seems so inferior now…

            How would I Google for the slotted Aluminum? Anyone have a source?

            Thanks,

            Michael

          • claudiusangelo
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2010
              --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Michael D. Noah" <michael.noah@...> wrote:

              > WOW!! I checked out the link and I immediately fell in love with the
              > picture. My wooden brew stand seems so inferior now.
              >

              > How would I Google for the slotted Aluminum? Anyone have a source?
              >

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Michael

              I buy all my extrusion from 8020, my home brewery is completely made out of 8020 including stir plates.
              http://stores.ebay.com/8020-Inc-Garage-Sale
              Cheers,
              ClaudiusB