Steeping Malts

  • martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
      Is any brewers out there that's doing all grain that steep's grains seprate from the mashing grain. If so what do you feel is gained?

      Swagman
    • Ric Cunningham
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
        The big differences between mashing grains and steeping grains are the starch and enzyme content.

        Highly roasted grains have no enzymes and the starches are pretty much destroyed
        Crystal malt has been stewed and the starches are already converted so need on mashing
        Pale malts and Pilsner malts require mashing to convert starches to sugars - just steeping would release starches in to the wort which are not fermentable by beer yeast. This will cause haze and leave digestables behind for wild yeast and spoilage organisms.

        Brew Your Own magazine has an article on this topic in the latest issue.

        On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 8:11 AM, martin <SURFSUPKS@...> wrote:

        Is any brewers out there that's doing all grain that steep's grains seprate from the mashing grain. If so what do you feel is gained?

        Swagman

      • Eric Moore
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
          I've been brewing for a couple of years, but just recently did my first all-grain batch, so you can consider me a bit of a noob in the all-grain department.  That being said, I don't see any point in doing your steeping grains separate from the mash.  Since they don't have any starches to convert, they shouldn't have any impact on your mash.  The only thing that would buy you is some extra time and complexity added to your brew day.

          On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM, martin <SURFSUPKS@...> wrote:

          Is any brewers out there that's doing all grain that steep's grains seprate from the mashing grain. If so what do you feel is gained?

          Swagman

        • Joe Strain aka Yodar
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
            WHENEVER I DO AN EXTRACT BREW I use a handy masher

            http://tinyurl.com/2enyy3x

            which i steep a couple pounds of beer including 1/4 lb carapils, some crystal malt and whatever main malt i select for an hour in properly heated water, drain, and sparge with additional hot water and that water is what i mix my extract in to cook the wort

            Yodar

            Words MEAN things.
            AS do the words in our constitution,
            they are not meant to be nuanced,
            but READ AS writ!

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
              OOPS!
              I steep MALT not BEER

              Yodar

              Words MEAN things.
              AS do the words in our constitution,
              they are not meant to be nuanced,
              but READ AS writ!

              Is any brewers out there that's doing all grain that steep's grains seprate from the mashing grain. If so what do you feel is gained?

              Swagman

            • Maurice St. Aude
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
                I have never heard of an all grain brewer stepping the character grains separately  but I have heard of adding some of the color grains to the top of the mash after the mash has converted to provide the color without the roastiness normally associated with those grain. This is normally done just before the sparge, but can be forgone with the use of husk less roast malts or color extract. Is this the procedure that you are referring to? Normally one steeps character grains only in the partial mash process - steep the character grains to extract the flavors then add the malt extract and boil the wort.

                Is any brewers out there that's doing all grain that steep's grains seprate from the mashing grain. If so what do you feel is gained?

                Swagman

              • t2000kwt
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010
                  I've always just added the specialty grains in with the mash and had good results.

                  I can see doing it with a partial mash, though, to keep the amount of grains in a small mash tun to a minimum.

                  Donald

                  --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Maurice St. Aude" <bludrgn_group@...> wrote:

                  > I have never heard of an all grain brewer stepping the character grains
                  > separately but I have heard of adding some of the color grains to the top
                  > of the mash after the mash has converted to provide the color without the
                  > roastiness normally associated with those grain. This is normally done just
                  > before the sparge, but can be forgone with the use of husk less roast malts
                  > or color extract. Is this the procedure that you are referring to? Normally
                  > one steeps character grains only in the partial mash process - steep the
                  > character grains to extract the flavors then add the malt extract and boil
                  > the wort.
                • Dave Witt
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 2, 2010

                    I have done cold steeping of dark roasted malts to get a nice smooth character.  This of course is done separately from the main mash.

                    Dave

                     Is any brewers out there that's doing all grain that steep's grains seprate from the mashing grain. If so what do you feel is gained?

                    Swagman

                  • greenspider
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 4, 2010
                      Please share the process.