Ash Mallet

  • denisbarsalo
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4 6:17 AM
      Hello,

      I am looking for a proper ash mallet for hammering in hard spiles and taps to a firkin.

      The pub uses a rubber mallet which does the job but is not the best tool for it. I tried a contact in the UK that sells pub equipment and he also sells only rubber mallets.

      I figured seeing how I was visiting the UK later this summer, that I may pick one up from a UK seller but don't know where to find one or even what size I need. I have seen 12oz, 16oz, etc.

      Can anyone recommend what I need and where to get it?

      Cheers,

      Denis
    • David Harry
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4 7:04 AM
        http://www.fine-tools.com/ham1.htm
        http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/mallets.aspx

        Woodworking tools would be the easiest place to find wooden mallets, the size you need is a different story, but wood would definitely carry a larger wallop than a rubber mallet the same size.  I would probably start with something like the 9 oz shop mallet on the second page of the highlandwoodworking site for $10 you can hardly go wrong if it's too small..

        David

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4 8:47 AM
            Or you could use a dead-blow hammer, not as classy looking, but better then a rubber mallet.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4 8:54 AM
              I thought a dead blow hammer was in a fact a wood mallet or possibly a wood mallet with a leather pad?

              To: BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com
              From: tmkramer@...
              Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:47:59 -0700
              Subject: Re: [BrewEquip] Ash Mallet

              Message 6 of 7 , May 4 9:03 AM
                dead blows are usually plastic and filled with lead shot..  they tend not to bounce when you hit stuff with them

                David

                I thought a dead blow hammer was in a fact a wood mallet or possibly a wood mallet with a leather pad?

                To: BrewingEquipment@ yahoogroups. com
                From: tmkramer@alum. mit.edu
                Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 08:47:59 -0700

                Message 7 of 7 , May 4 9:28 AM
                  They have plastic ones filled with shot - thats what makes them a dead-blow.  A wood mallet with a leather pad might work, but with the shot they can make a four pound dead-blow that is the size of a rubber mallet and sell it for $10 or so.
                  See:

                  Tom Kramer

                  To: BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com
                  From: tmkramer@...