Siphone problems

  • Mr Clean.
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2009
      I am trying to siphone my wort into the secondary container. I am having no success. What can solve this problem purchaseing a fish tank pump.
    • Bob O.
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009

        I’d be concerned with the aeration (oxidation) that a fish tank pump may introduce to the fermented beer.  What kind of issues are you having with racking?

        Bob O.

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009
            Manually siphoning wort was always a pain for me. To do it properly,
            you have to be able to completely fill your racking cane and tubing
            with sanitizer and then, without leaking any, transfer the cane to
            your wort. I would always manage to lose some sanitizer during the
            transfer, and thus, couldn't always get enough suction to start the
            process. Repeating this step until you get it right is not only
            frustrating and time consuming, it's also a good way to introduce
            infection, as I tended to cut more and more corners with each attempt.

            My solution was to buy an auto-siphon, which is effectively just a
            racking cane with a manual pump built in. Pump once to create a
            vacuum and get the flow going, then let gravity do the rest.

            The best part about the auto-siphon is that it makes re-starting very
            easy. That makes it a lot easier to get as much wort as possible
            without transferring too much sediment.

            -- Eric

            On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Mr Clean.<zbest1966@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to siphone my wort into the secondary container. I am having no
            > success. What can solve this problem purchaseing a fish tank pump.

          • Joe Strain aka Yodar
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009
              Try using it with HOT wort ;>)

              (mine now has a craceful curve) I THOUGHT IT WAS glass (It SHOULD have been !)

              yod

              On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Mr Clean.<zbest1966@yahoo. com> wrote:

              > I am trying to siphone my wort into the secondary container. I am having no
              > success. What can solve this problem purchaseing a fish tank pump.

            • Matthew Burgoon
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009
                Haha, yep, I did that once. Had to go buy a new one.. one of them thar lessons you learn the hard way when you leave your common sense at the bottom of a pint glass.

                I have an 'easy siphon' which is just one tube in another with a grommet for a seal, and pressing the inner tube down starts the siphon, fairly easy. Worth the $12. When you don't melt it.

                I would agree that a pump would be a bad idea from an aeration stand point, also harder to sanitize, etc, and generally more complex than it needs to be.

                The auto/easy siphon, stuff into a bucket of sanitizing solution of choice, sit for a few minutes, siphon away. Just no boiling water :)

                --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Joe Strain aka Yodar <cz52_99@...> wrote:

                > Try using it with HOT wort ;>)
                >
                > (mine now has a craceful curve) I THOUGHT IT WAS glass (It SHOULD have been !)
                >
                > yod
              • t2000kwt
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 5, 2009
                  --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Joe Strain aka Yodar <cz52_99@...> wrote:

                  > Try using it with HOT wort ;>)
                  >
                  > (mine now has a craceful curve) I THOUGHT IT WAS glass (It SHOULD have been !)
                  >
                  > yod

                  Mine stopped working after a few uses. Not made out of good materials for the job.

                  I plan to try to use that stuff used when you replace the rubber parts on a washerless faucet on the piston seal and see if that helps.
                • John Avelis Jr
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009
                    I think there are few items of brewing equipment that couldn't
                    successfully be subtituted for something else. However, the autosiphon
                    would not be one of them. If anything happened to it, I'd just go buy
                    another one.

                    America is not at war. The Marines are at war. America is at the mall.

                    - USMC grafitti in Iraq
                  • Brendan Croom
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009
                      I use this type of a set-up: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys.  Siphoning is very simple, and if it stops in the middle, it is easy to start again.

                    • dan morgan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009
                        How about no politics in here chucko! If not for the marines you'd be speaking Euro-Arab language by now.

                            I think there are few items of brewing equipment that couldn't
                        successfully be subtituted for something else. However, the autosiphon
                        would not be one of them. If anything happened to it, I'd just go buy
                        another one.

                        America is not at war. The Marines are at war. America is at the mall.

                          - USMC grafitti in Iraq

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                            mailto:BrewingEquipment-digest@yahoogroups.com
                            mailto:BrewingEquipment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Tom Schmidlin
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 6, 2009
                          >I use this type of a set-up: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys. Siphoning is very simple, and if it stops in the middle, it is easy to start again.

                          I switched to this kind of sterile siphon system after breaking my third easy siphon (trying to remove the hose, broke the plastic racking cane). I really like it, it works great and the stainless is nice and easy to sanitize.

                          >>America is not at war. The Marines are at war. America is at the mall.
                          >How about no politics in here chucko! If not for the marines you'd be speaking Euro-Arab language by now.

                          While I agree politics should be kept off the list, how can this be interpreted as a slam against the marines? It is clearly saying the marines are doing the fighting and we are not paying attention.

                          Tom