Re: [BrewEquip] Re: mash tun manifold

  • Ric Cunningham
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2009
      I have built multiple mash tun out of coolers and slotted copper pipe. I prefer 1/2 inch pipe with 90's and Tee's. These can be adapted quickly to a bulkhead setup through the wall of the cooler. I routinely get 85-90% mash efficiencies on these systems. Cleaning is a snap. All the fittings are slip fit with the  exception of the bulkhead fitting so they all come apart for a quick rinse and done. I have not had a stuck mash with this set up in over 4 years(knock, knock). I will be supervising a Belgian Wit tomorrow and I will see how a 50% unmalted wheat grist does.

      On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM, thomas piazza <tcpiazza61@...> wrote:

      Hi  Bill the way I made mine was to I took three lengths circled into a tee then straight out to a 1/2" ball valve I had no problem maintaining 1- 1-1/2 quart per min lautering rate  with a 1 to 2 quart per pound water to grist ratio . cheers Tom

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2009
        I also use a large (1/2") braid that I bought as part of a conversion kit for my cooler. It lauters like a firehose.

        - John

        I could see how their minds worked, if they had minds and if they worked.

        -Ernest Hemingway

      • Webb, Mike
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
          Jeff,
          The thing should work in either config. Without the hose on the output the highest spot in the system is the rise to get to the output. You're not going to coax the water over that high spot without the hose attached. My guess is that is the level of when it quit flowing. As long as you have no leaks it should work fine.
          Cheers,
          Mike
        • jeff
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
            On 7/1/2012 11:40 AM, Webb, Mike wrote:
            > The thing should work in either config.
            ******************
            i know it will work, but will it pull more from the front of the tun
            then from the back.
            peace
            jeff
          • lee
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
              Depends on the tilt!

              Lee

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2012
                Hi, on that scale you won't be pulling off more or less front to back, as long as our manifold is level (not the cooler !) your hydrostatic pressure will be controlled only by your ball valve downstream, make sure you run off really slowly to start with then tap gently to open the ball incrementally during sparge. What is your drop to kettle, make sure you don't get a siphon effect. When you get to a 20 bbl plant with 4 or 6 run off valves you'll already know how things work.

                Just joined this group, it's pretty interesting

                Tim