Re:Question on propane burners

  • John Avelis Jr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      You are correct in stating that the rule of thumb for a propane flame is "the bluer the better," although a yellow tip on the flame is pretty normal. A flame that's going all orange / yellow is not good, is cooler and generally indicates incomplete combustion. I'd start by opening up whatever sort of aperture / shutter is provided for intake air. If it seems to be open, check for obstructions.

      "Dear reader, suppose you are a member of Congress. Now, further suppose you are an idiot. But I repeat myself."

                                  - Mark Twain

    • Bill Keiser
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        sounds like you have something like my bayou classic SP-10, or the SP-1 with 10 PSI regulator. i think the main difference is the regulator. my 20 psi gives it more gas flow and it is rated at 185k btu.
        there is no air intake on those. just a straight pipe with a brass endpiece and a single gas opening pointing upward. you can unscrew the whole pipe and inspect it with a flashlight to make sure it has no debris in it, but you can probably tell that just by looking into the hole. mine is slightly less than 1/16" dia.
        i don't think there is any way of adjusting the air flow on it. i haven't taken much notice of the flame color on mine. the movable plate is to let the flame blast directly up on your pot or diffuse it in a larger circle to prevent spot scorching.
        bill keiser

        > You are correct in stating that the rule of thumb for a propane flame
        > is "the bluer the better," although a yellow tip on the flame is
        > pretty normal. A flame that's going all orange / yellow is not good,
        > is cooler and generally indicates incomplete combustion. I'd start by
        > opening up whatever sort of aperture / shutter is provided for intake
        > air. If it seems to be open, check for obstructions.

      • thebitterbrewer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, Greg Kelley <gwk1973@...> wrote:

          > Correct me if I am wrong, but the bluer the flame the better right?  Also, if it is more yellow and orange, is it wasting propane, i.e not burning enough of it?
          >
          > I got a propane burner from my inlaws.  There is just one pin hole where the gas comes out.  It is inside of a 2" diameter tube.  On the top of the tube is a metal plate that can be swung around to change the flame from a cylindrical flame to more of a spread flame like you get on a stove top.
          >
          > So anyway, if bluer is better, what can I do to make mine more blue?
          >
          > -Greg

          Hi Greg,
          Bluer is hotter. You can correct the yellow flame by adjusting the pressure of the propane if you have an adjustable propane regulator. Something like COM2-30 here: http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm. If you're using a standard BBQ regulator it is probably a 10 or 20psi and isn't enough pressure for the burner you have. I bought the COM2-60 from Tejas Smokers for my brew stand burners here: http://www.thebitterbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70 and couldn't be happier.

          Cheers,
          -Taylor
        • Greg Kelley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            Thanks everyone for the replies.  Bill, you are right in describing the similarity between your system and mine.

            I do have an adjuster on my regulator.  I noticed that the more I opened it up, the bluer the flame.  However, the flame started wrapping around the sides of my pot which wastes heat.  I think what I might try to do next time is open it up completely but move the deflector out of the way so the flames just shoot straight up and minimize how much goes to the sides.

            -Greg

            > Correct me if I am wrong, but the bluer the flame the better right?  Also, if it is more yellow and orange, is it wasting propane, i.e not burning enough of it?
            >
            > I got a propane burner from my inlaws.  There is just one pin hole where the gas comes out.  It is inside of a 2" diameter tube.  On the top of the tube is a metal plate that can be swung around to change the flame from a cylindrical flame to more of a spread flame like you get on a stove top.
            >
            > So anyway, if bluer is better, what can I do to make mine more blue?
            >
            > -Greg

            Hi Greg,
            Bluer is hotter.  You can correct the yellow flame by adjusting the pressure of the propane if you have an adjustable propane regulator.  Something like COM2-30 here: http://www.tejassmokers.com/gasregulators.htm.  If you're using a standard BBQ regulator it is probably a 10 or 20psi and isn't enough pressure for the burner you have.  I bought the COM2-60 from Tejas Smokers for my brew stand burners here: http://www.thebitterbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70 and couldn't be happier.

            Cheers,
            -Taylor

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional