Is ANYONE using a Cal3300 Controller?

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      Can you tell/show me how you have yours wired?

      thanks,
      Joe
    • James
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi Joe,

        I posted a basic diagram to the files, Electric Kettle Controller.bmp,
        or something like it.

        To add to the diagram, basically, the power is 120Vac-240Vac, the SSR
        control signal is a two wire, +/- to the SSR CONTROL SIDE, actually I
        think it gives 3-24Vdc. And the Thermocouple is a two wire +/- signal.

        I'm not sure of your setup, or where you are having problems. Have you
        got to the point of turning the system on and had problems? Are you
        using a Thermocouple? The CAL3300 does need to be told what form of
        sensor you have attached in the 'setup', I think it needs to know if
        it's using an SSR or Relay. (pg 5 in manual)

        Do you have the manual? if not

        http://www.lesman.com/unleashd/catalog/control/cal3300_om.pdf

        Pg29 explains the electrical installation.

        Another thing, the AutoTune works very well. Fill your kettle with the
        equivalent water to the batch size you intend doing and set the
        controller to AutoTune. It takes a while but sets all the variables in
        the controller for you.

        Once you have the installation done, look at pg4, it covers the menus
        and how to move around the options.

        let me know how you go.

        Jim

        --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <ironaxe@...> wrote:

        > Can you tell/show me how you have yours wired?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Joe

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2009

          Jim,
          Can you send me a wiring diagram for the ssr? Do you wire in just ONE SIDE of the pole?
          This might be why I blew my pid.

          Here is the ssr I have:
          ssr:

          thanks

          Joe

        • James
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            I'm not sure what you mean, one side of the pole.

            I have added a file, KettleControl.bmp to the group files for you to
            look at.
            When testing I filled my kettle up, just incase the SSR switched on
            unexpectedly, otherwise I'd be getting another element.

            Did you put 220VAC into the SSR output of the PID? That would be bad.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
              --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "James" <perudog@...> wrote:

              > I'm not sure what you mean, one side of the pole.
              >
              > I have added a file, KettleControl.bmp to the group files for you to
              > look at.
              > When testing I filled my kettle up, just incase the SSR switched on
              > unexpectedly, otherwise I'd be getting another element.
              >
              > Did you put 220VAC into the SSR output of the PID? That would be bad.
              >
              > Let me know how you go.
              > Jim

              Jim, I was reading the manual the other day, and came across the same
              schematic. I will wire it just like that, even though it dosent make
              sense. I looked at your file too... So I definately had it wired wrong.

              thanks,
              Joe