RE: Question re using any immersed electric heating elements

  • Chris Yate
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2008
      Bill,

      That's a really interesting idea. I can't answer your questions but
      intuitively I think you have got a point. Whether it makes any
      difference at all in practice, I wouldn't know. The thing to be do, I
      suppose, is to try an experiment, fixing as many variables as
      possible.

      Apart from the bubbles issue, it certainly seems to me that having the
      entire base of your kettle heated by some external heating method
      whether it's an attached electric element, a propane burner or kitchen
      hob will mean that a much larger proportion of the wort is in contact
      with the heated metal.

      Using a heatstick (and I've never tried one) it would seem only a
      limited amount of wort is heated and without a fair amount of stirring
      you could end up with cooler areas in the kettle.

      Chris