Small, inexpensive refrigeration unit

  • Doug Kalmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2008
      Want to make a beer chiller?

      MINI REFRIGERATION / COOLING UNIT
      Used takeoffs. One of our most unusual surplus buys. Originally built as a desktop soda fountain, we are selling the cooling system and other parts they contain. Use for custom built refrigerator compartments in mobile homes, wine coolers, electrical equipment cooling, etc.

      In addition to the cooling components there are also solenoid valves, stirring motor, pump and other miscellaneous parts.

      SPECIFICATIONS
      • compressor has a 1/12 HP, 115 VAC motor, 3.2 Amps
      • wrap-around flexible cooling jacket is 33" x 8 1/2"
      • 200 BTU cooling capacity
      • uses R-12 refrigerant
      • does not include a thermostat
      • power cord not included
      • plastic cooling tank measures 9" x 5" x 8" inside
      • outer casing has been removed
      • carbonation chamber disabled by the manufacturer to preclude use in original application
      • Size 16" x 13" x 20"
      • Shpg. 44 lbs.
    • robertalannorman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
        Suggestion. It uses R-12 coolant. I think that is the old style of
        coolant (newer is R134?). So if this unit needs to be charged that
        might be an issue. Otherwise it looks like something that might be
        adapted for fermenting lagers if the temperature could be controlled
        (maybe an external temp controller?).
      • ghost_of_winter
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2008
          I was told by a friend that is in HVAC that they are still able to
          get R-12 but in limited quantities and it's rather expensive. If you
          had a unit that leaked and needed to be recharged frequently then you
          would be better off either fixing the leak, converting it to the new
          refrigerant, or getting a new unit. He said they have to account for
          every bit they buy. Meaning they have to tell where it all goes. If
          you are buying large amounts of it then the Govt. would more than
          likely stop it. Hope this helps.

          Greg

          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "robertalannorman"