Picking the right QD fittings

  • Bob DeVivo
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007

      Please help me pick the right quick disconnect fittings for my transfer from the brew pot to the wort chiller.   I went to McMaster-Carr and looked up QD Fittings, and was sort of overwhelmed by the number of results.

      Here's my setup:  I have a length of high-temp transfer tubing with these connectors on each end : 1/2" FPT Connectors .   On my CF chiller, I have a 1/2" Male NPT threaded fitting sweated on to to the 3/8" copper tubing.  On my brew pot, I have a 1/2" coupling welded into the wall, and a 1/2" full nipple screwed into the coupling.

      So... what I'm looking for is a QD fitting that can fit in-between the 1/2" Male NPT and 1/2" Female NPT fittings so I'm not having to screw around on brew day with threaded fittings (pun intended.)  Everything is stainless except for the fitting sweated on the copper, which is brass.

      Can someone help me figure out what I need?  It doesn't have to be from McMaster-Carr, but it does need to withstand heat, since it's from my kettle to the chiller.  I'd prefer stainless if possible.

      Thanks!

      Bob D.

    • Denis Barsalo
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        Look at the quick connects from Colder.

        The Polysulphone connects are rated for boiling (and above for liquids and steam that can withstand those temps..) although the model that is rated just below those will also do the trick for you. Not rated to boiling but will still be OK for transferring from kettle to chiller. Keep in mind that the wort is no longer boiling and that it will cool some going down the tube. Also, these ratings are all for continual use which is not the case with homebrewing.

        Best prices so far I found are on the USPlastic website and they deliver USPS - which is great when you live in Canada.

        Denis

        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007
          These are the ones I got and they work pretty good for me.

          www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/couplings/ft-hfc-12series/ft-hfc12series.asp

          Although I don't have any on my kettle I do have one on my HLT, MLT,
          and CFC which I run boiling wort through prior to cooling.

          Bob O.

          --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Barsalo"
          <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

          > Look at the quick connects from Colder.
          >
          > The Polysulphone connects are rated for boiling (and above for
          liquids and
          > steam that can withstand those temps..) although the model that is
          rated
          > just below those will also do the trick for you. Not rated to
          boiling but
          > will still be OK for transferring from kettle to chiller. Keep in
          mind that
          > the wort is no longer boiling and that it will cool some going down
          the
          > tube. Also, these ratings are all for continual use which is not
          the case
          > with homebrewing.
          >
          > Best prices so far I found are on the USPlastic website and they
          deliver
          > USPS - which is great when you live in Canada.
          >
          > Denis
          >

          > _____

        • Bob Mitchell
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2007
            I have a sparge pot, mashtun and boiling pot each with a half inch ball valve installed in the side and each with a 3/4" MIP 1/2" barb screwed into em. I am going to buy 3 of the following item (I will replace the 1/2" barb in all 3 ball valves) from this page http://www.omega.com/pdf/tubing/couplings/ft-hfc-12series/ft-hfc12series.asp  Male Pipe Thread Insert 3/4" NPT FT-HFC2412-12 at $ 3.50 each. I will control the flow with the ball valve handle.

            The sparge pot will hook up to my mashtun, my mashtun out will hookup with my boiling pot, and my boiling pot out will hook up with my CFchiller using the following items from the same above page  (2) Hose Barb Body 1/2" FT-HFC178-12 and (1) 3/8"  FT-HFC176-12 at $7.70 each. I will use one from sparge pot to tun sparge arm via 1/2" tubing, one from tun to boiling pot via 1/2" tubing and the 3/8" one from the CFchiller to the brew pot via some higher temp tolerant tubing. Does it ever end????
            I'm goin to end up getting the March pump.. I just know it.

            REM

[...]

            Ain't no damn virus found in this incoming message.
            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • Denis Barsalo
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2007
              Yup, those are the ones I have too..

              I have had to replace the O rings on a few of them though..

              I wonder if the dab of keglube I put on them broke down the "rubber". ??

              Message 6 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

                > Yup, those are the ones I have too..
                >
                > I have had to replace the O rings on a few of them though..
                >
                > I wonder if the dab of keglube I put on them broke down
                the "rubber". ??

                Another option instead of quick connects that don't leak or wear out.

                After using several forms of quick connects I found myself looking
                for something a little better. I was tired of some of them leaking
                and having to replace o-rings. I researched Tri-Clover fittings and
                found out in short order that they where out of my price range in
                most cases.

                The one company I deal with I asked for a price on a 1 ½ fitting with
                ½ female NPT. I was planning on using two with a gasket and clamp to
                make up a Tri-Clover fitting where I could screw in a ½ by 5/8 hose
                barb to make a quick connect that would not leak or wear out. The
                company came back with a price for one fitting that put the fitting
                cost approx. out of reach in my book. Having the manufacturing
                equipment needed, this is what I came up with.

                Its 1 1/2 Tri-Clover fitting with ½ NPT female. I build them my self
                except the clamp and gasket.

                They are priced at 26.00 for a set plus shipping charges (yes, it
                takes two sets. One for each end of a hose). A set includes two cap
                ends drilled and Tig welded, two gaskets one is a spare and one 1-½
                stainless steel clamp.
                I do believe they are product that will last for many years to come
                and won't leak when properly installed. They are stainless steel and
                are sanitary Tig welded. If you like send me an e/mail and I will
                send some pictures

                Martin
              • Denis Barsalo
                Message 7 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                  Can you post pictures on the BrewingEquipment YahooGroup space?
                  Mr. Moderator, are we allowing this?

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                    <dbarsalo@...> wrote:

                    > Can you post pictures on the BrewingEquipment YahooGroup space?
                    > Mr. Moderator, are we allowing this?

                    From the "Photos" section of the group guidelines...

                    PHOTOS: Because Yahoo limits photo storage to only 30-Megs of space
                    per group, I request that only photos which are _NOT_ available on the
                    Internet be stored in our PHOTOS section. As an alternative to
                    storage space for photos which ARE available on the Internet, and
                    which I think works even better, I have created a folder for 'photos'
                    in the LINKS section, with numerous subfolders for different equipment
                    categories; I kindly ask our members to please post links to their
                    photos, or to particular pages from their site, within the appropriate
                    category.

                    In other words, try to help me keep them 'organized'. This will
                    enable someone who is interested primarily in mashtun design, to
                    easily go down a list of links which is just for that. Now this part
                    is important; I would rather each member post his/her own photos
                    rather than sending them to me; the reason is that if someone has a
                    question about your equipment, they'll know who to contact from
                    the 'Creator' column on the LINKS page. Also, please note that
                    'PORNOGRAPHY' is prohibited (see below). If everyone will comply with
                    these guidelines and requests, this will be an extremely useful feature.
                  • surfsupks
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 2, 2007
                      --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "surfsupks" <SURFSUPKS@...>
                      wrote:

                      > --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "Denis Barsalo"
                      > <dbarsalo@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Yup, those are the ones I have too..
                      > >
                      > > I have had to replace the O rings on a few of them though..
                      > >
                      > > I wonder if the dab of keglube I put on them broke down
                      > the "rubber". ??
                      > >
                      > Another option instead of quick connects that don't leak or wear
                      out.

                      > After using several forms of quick connects I found myself looking
                      > for something a little better. I was tired of some of them leaking
                      > and having to replace o-rings. I researched Tri-Clover fittings
                      and
                      > found out in short order that they where out of my price range in
                      > most cases.
                      >
                      > The one company I deal with I asked for a price on a 1 ½ fitting
                      with
                      > ½ female NPT. I was planning on using two with a gasket and clamp
                      > make up a Tri-Clover fitting where I could screw in a ½ by 5/8
                      hose
                      > barb to make a quick connect that would not leak or wear out. The
                      > company came back with a price for one fitting that put the fitting
                      > cost approx. out of reach in my book. Having the manufacturing
                      > equipment needed, this is what I came up with.
                      >
                      > Its 1 1/2 Tri-Clover fitting with ½ NPT female. I build them my
                      self
                      > except the clamp and gasket.
                      >
                      > They are priced at 26.00 for a set plus shipping charges (yes, it
                      > takes two sets. One for each end of a hose). A set includes two
                      cap
                      > ends drilled and Tig welded, two gaskets one is a spare and one 1-½
                      > stainless steel clamp.
                      > I do believe they are product that will last for many years to come
                      > and won't leak when properly installed. They are stainless steel
                      and
                      > are sanitary Tig welded. If you like send me an e/mail and I will
                      > send some pictures
                      >
                      > Martin

                      Added album Tri-Clover any question e/mail direct.

                      Martin