Re: Solenoids for herms system

  • Mike Klueber
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- In BrewingEquipment@yahoogroups.com, "robertalannorman"
      <robertalannorman@...> wrote:

      > I'm finishing up my herms system and was about to buy manual 1/4 turn
      > valves. I considered going with soleniod valves and using switches for
      > now, which would allow me to automate in the future. I have been
      > looking around to find a reasonably priced solenoid valve with 3/8" NPT
      > or 1/2" NPT that is good across the temperature range and that is food
      > grade quality. I've found some solenoids that are in the $60 to $100
      > range (and I'm not sure if they are food grade quality).
      >
      > Does anyone have advice on what materials are suitable from the food
      > grade point of view. Also, does anyone know of a source that is more
      > economical - I'm hoping to get a small quantity in the $25 to $30 (I
      > need to keep Mrs. Accountant happy).
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

      McMaster-Carr has some solenoids that would work for your application
      but they are in the $60-100 range.

      Mike K
    • Mike Bennett
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        <robertalannorman@...> wrote:

        > I'm finishing up my herms system and was about to buy manual 1/4 turn
        > valves. I considered going with soleniod valves and using switches for
        > now, which would allow me to automate in the future. I have been
        > looking around to find a reasonably priced solenoid valve with 3/8" NPT
        > or 1/2" NPT that is good across the temperature range and that is food
        > grade quality. I've found some solenoids that are in the $60 to $100
        > range (and I'm not sure if they are food grade quality).
        >
        > Does anyone have advice on what materials are suitable from the food
        > grade point of view. Also, does anyone know of a source that is more
        > economical - I'm hoping to get a small quantity in the $25 to $30 (I
        > need to keep Mrs. Accountant happy).

        Any threaded fitting is not sanitary. Wee little beasties can get
        into the threads and make sanitizing impossible. This might be
        especially important on a herms system where temperature levels may
        not get hot enough to pasteurize the fitting with heat.

        I suggest looking for fittings that are sweated on with silver solder.
        Either that or use compression fittings.

        Just my $0.02
        --
        Mike Bennett
        Professional Brewer for Hire